Author Topic: Eskimo Lockout Bibs & Jacket  (Read 7076 times)

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Lockout Bibs & Jacket
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:50 PM »
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything.  If anyone knows of any threads, please let me know.

Otherwise, is anyone using these?  What do you think, if so?

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Lockout Bibs & Jacket
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I was just getting ready to ask the same thing.
Much more affordable than some other brands.
I've been wearing wool bibs for years, but they are death if you go through the ice
Get bit!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I was checking them out on Eskimo's website when they first came out and they look like they could be made by Striker.  They have less insulation, 60 grams of  Thermadex insulation, than the Striker Predator series which has 100 grams of Thermadex insulation but like the Striker suits they have the Sureflote stuff in there to make you float.  The outer material is the same as the Striker Hardwater series, the 600D Endura material, and pretty much all the same other specs that the Striker Hardwater series has.  Personally I like the heavy duty material in it but would rather they had the 100 grams of insulation.  Over all I think it's a good suit, the price isn't bad ($40 cheaper for each piece of the suit compared to the Striker Predator suit),  it has the heavy duty material of the Striker Hardwater suits, but you have to remember that you're going to have to layer up some more than you would if you had the Striker Predator suit.  I haven't seen them in person and my opinion is based on seeing them online and reading the specs.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:08 AM »
I have a pair I like them but wish they had D rings. I also believe they are black Striker guardians with 2 chest pockets. Overall I am happy just wish they had as many pockets as my old strike master bibs also the 60 gram insulation for me is almost too much with long underwear and sweatpants.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Old topic, I know, but anyone been using the lockout? Any updated reviews?

Saw the jacket was on sale now at Amazon, was thinking of replacing my worn out department store ski jacket. I see the lockout has 60g of insulation, is that enough for a guy who's going to go in a hut when it dips below say 15 degrees anyway? I don't mind layering with a thermal and a sweatshirt. Aside from falling apart, the ski jacket I have now has been ok, but it does not block the wind very well, it holds water, and doesn't breathe, the lockout has got to be better then that, right?

Offline Longshoremen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Nothing for nothing I think you answered your on question😜

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Nothing for nothing I think you answered your on question😜

Just wanted to make sure. A lot of the reviews I've seen were written by what looks like pro-staffers. Mostly was looking for any big negatives anyone has found after using the lockout jacket this and/or last season.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Yes, the bibs and jacket are great. Jacket really cuts the wind well.  Plenty of room in pockets. plenty of places to clip things onto. (pliers, weights, spreaders, ect.)

I always just toss on some long underware, and a hoodie and with the suit im good to go.

If anything ever gets cold, its my feet or hands.

Also i noticed they are super cheap right now across the net. I bought mine at St Croix Rods out let store for a gem.350$?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Yes, the bibs and jacket are great. Jacket really cuts the wind well.  Plenty of room in pockets. plenty of places to clip things onto. (pliers, weights, spreaders, ect.)

I always just toss on some long underware, and a hoodie and with the suit im good to go.

If anything ever gets cold, its my feet or hands.

Also i noticed they are super cheap right now across the net. I bought mine at St Croix Rods out let store for a gem.350$?

Yes, right now $100 for the jacket, I think the bibs are $109 but not every size is available, this was on amazon shipped direct from the manufacturer.

I ended up buying the jacket last week, went with a larger size so I could layer if needed. First impressions are that it seems to be made from some pretty tough material, should cut the wind. Main zipper seems to be the good high quality zipper Eskimo uses on their shelters, the other zippers are not, but they don't seem an worse than any other jacket I've used. Not a lot of pockets, but like you said, they are very roomy, don't know how many a guy needs, seems to be plenty. I don't get what the two pockets are for on the chest, the red zippers, seems hard to access? Jacket seems to be cut really well as far as ease of movement, first thing I noticed what it was easy to move my arms around, no restriction. I do wish the logo was smaller.

Saw a lot of posts here and other places saying it was a light jacket, and one guy was even calling it more of a spring or fall jacket, but I don't think that's accurate at all. Maybe he has some medical issues. The insulation they use is very warm, we had couple of weeks of temps in the negative double digits here last year, and just wearing it around I can tell this lockout jacket is warmer than the jacket I was using, which was OK, so I have no doubt it will be great all season.

I may end up getting the bibs, not sure yet, the ones I have now I'm pretty happy with, and are a long way from being worn out.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Yes, right now $100 for the jacket, I think the bibs are $109 but not every size is available, this was on amazon shipped direct from the manufacturer.

I ended up buying the jacket last week, went with a larger size so I could layer if needed. First impressions are that it seems to be made from some pretty tough material, should cut the wind. Main zipper seems to be the good high quality zipper Eskimo uses on their shelters, the other zippers are not, but they don't seem an worse than any other jacket I've used. Not a lot of pockets, but like you said, they are very roomy, don't know how many a guy needs, seems to be plenty. I don't get what the two pockets are for on the chest, the red zippers, seems hard to access? Jacket seems to be cut really well as far as ease of movement, first thing I noticed what it was easy to move my arms around, no restriction. I do wish the logo was smaller.

Saw a lot of posts here and other places saying it was a light jacket, and one guy was even calling it more of a spring or fall jacket, but I don't think that's accurate at all. Maybe he has some medical issues. The insulation they use is very warm, we had couple of weeks of temps in the negative double digits here last year, and just wearing it around I can tell this lockout jacket is warmer than the jacket I was using, which was OK, so I have no doubt it will be great all season.

I may end up getting the bibs, not sure yet, the ones I have now I'm pretty happy with, and are a long way from being worn out.

Main reason I bought them tho, was for the floatation safety factor. I do tend to push my luck sometimes early on and like having the piece of mind having a little help.

Top chest pockets on the outside I like for my cell phone, smokes/chew, lighter, keys.. stuff I dont want down the hole.

Few things I would adjust if I was building the ultimate pair of ice fishing bibs compared to these. But Ive yet to find the perfect pair. They are shorter than I would like being over 6' but better than swimming in the damn things.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.