The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold Temps.  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold Temps.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2023, 08:46 PM »
A lot of slop on top out towards Minnetonka, but seems like it's trying to hold.

I'm not trusting anything for another couple of weeks, but I don't think it's a total bust yet. I think it's totally feasible to be on the ice around new years (with proper precautions)

Best thing in our favor is that the highs only hit for about 4 hours a day. Took a long time to warm up and cooled off quick last 2 days.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2023, 10:18 AM »
Msp- Starting Thursday morning through Saturday night it's showing day time temps in the mid 40s and above freezing all night. That's a long stretch with current ice conditions. 

Heading north to scratch the itch.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2023, 02:00 PM »
Msp- Starting Thursday morning through Saturday night it's showing day time temps in the mid 40s and above freezing all night. That's a long stretch with current ice conditions. 

Heading north to scratch the itch.

Agree - may have to start looking at the lakes around Brainerd to see what's in that area.  Not looking good for us around the metro!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2023, 07:37 PM »
Oh God, so much open water

Nakomis totally open. Phalen totally open

Temps in 30s-40s for a few days, with rainfall in the Forcast Friday and Saturday. All ice in the metro going to be ruined or totally gone.

Back to square one

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2023, 02:46 PM »
Get out of the city and there is okay ice. Those lakes always stay open the longest.
Thisnpast weekend central Cass County had anything from open water to 9". Most small lakes that are locked have 6-8" of good ice.

I'll be ice fishing Saturday before the rain comes within an hour of msp on good ice. 4.5-5.5".

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2023, 07:50 AM »
Merry Raining Christmas  :o
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2023, 09:33 AM »
At least holiday travel should be a little easier.

Merry Christmas

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2023, 07:36 PM »
At least holiday travel should be a little easier.

Merry Christmas

It was pretty wild. My family met up in Brainerd. Lakes from Alexandria to Brainerd looked about the same as Aberdeen and Webster on Saturday, a few people out, not a lot. Sunday I drove by Mille Lacs on my way south, it had opened up so much with the rain and heat you probably could have pushed a boat out there. Maybe 20 yards of ice, then open water. Lakes in Wright county looked horrible. One lake you could have busted a few feet of ice and launched a boat at the access. Drove home yesterday, it was hot in central MN, close to 50. Had no idea of a storm to the west. Raining hard as it had all weekend when I left. It started to cool as I got around Benson. Roads were ok all the way to the SD border. Started to get slick. Then in Millbank, it froze, and things got bad. It took me almost 4 hours to get from Millbank to Aberdeen. Hard snow, iced roads, howling winds. Lakes around Webster looked similar to how they had last week at least.

Unfortunately I'm thinking ice fishing in most of MN is shot for at least 2 weeks now. NE South Dakota might be OK by Saturday, depends on how much snow we get.  I have not heard how ND did in the storm. This has been the worst ice this late I've ever seen, so I don't even know what to expect anymore.
-Tom

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2023, 04:09 PM »
Temps creeping down this week. Nothing more than a slight skim around the cities, gonna take some time, but hopefully that front that followed the storm keeps things cool around the rest of the state. Gonna be a short season almost everywhere here, but the Dakotas still having some potential

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:04 PM »
Finger crossed for this cold snap to lock everything up for good!  We
could use some hard water time!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:25 PM »
As of yesterday, Harriet was still wide open. Small ponds in Wayzata were walkable today.l, and ice flows staring on the river today. By end of week everything should be walkable.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:48 AM »

Minus 4 in Hibbing this A.M. and windy. Minus 6 in Ely. Polar Vortex and El Nino what's next? Don't want to good weather or Gov Walz will put a tax on it.
Oops! is too late.

Offline toewdy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:01 PM »
Kind of glad this cold front came through! I've been staring at my LiveScope and other gear, itching to get out in the West Metro.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2024, 01:13 PM »
Folks driving on some lakes in Ottertail county today.
Life is short, fish hard!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2024, 03:17 PM »
Kind of glad this cold front came through! I've been staring at my LiveScope and other gear, itching to get out in the West Metro.

Get on out there! Lot of good ice to be found starting last week.

Offline toewdy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:56 PM »
Get on out there! Lot of good ice to be found starting last week.

Hoping to get out next weekend! Trying to scout some new lakes. We usually go to Medicine Lake because it’s nice and close.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:03 AM »
I heard Wasserman had drivable ice on it yesterday.  But I also know that Lake had been pressured hard over recent years and isn't producing like it used to, including from my most recent report.

I might brave the wind today and poke around the cities a bunch. Slight warmup this week, but shouldn't lose any of the 8-12 inches around the metro. And of course the further out you go, the better the ice reports are.

Offline toewdy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2024, 12:02 PM »
I heard Wasserman had drivable ice on it yesterday.  But I also know that Lake had been pressured hard over recent years and isn't producing like it used to, including from my most recent report.

I might brave the wind today and poke around the cities a bunch. Slight warmup this week, but shouldn't lose any of the 8-12 inches around the metro. And of course the further out you go, the better the ice reports are.

I’m going to head out to Wasserman next weekend so I’ll keep you posted

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:34 PM »
Good luck! Heard the bite was slow but size was fair.

I got out in St. Paul today, about 7-8" of pretty good quality ice, had a pretty decent evening. Next week probably head a little more westward myself and see what's doing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.