Author Topic: Connecting tip up line to leader?  (Read 7243 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
Connecting tip up line to leader?
« on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:27 PM »
 Hi I am wondering how I should connect my tip up leaders to my tip up line. I am thinking of tying on a snap to the dacron first and then using a barrel swivel which is connected to my rig. I think this will allow me to quickly change rigs and then I will always have a snap on the dacron line for quick removal of used rigs as well.

Any thoughts?

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Connecting tip up line to leader?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:37 PM »
I just use a barrel swivel to connect them. Sometimes if I have a bad leader I will just put in one of my extra tip ups I have along and re-rig my tip up with the bad leader later. But most times I will just tie on a new leader unless my hands are really cold. Re tying only takes a minute if that. Your tdea would work as well.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I do just the opposite with polars. I tied the barrel swivel to the Dacron and the leaders have snap swivels, it's easier to manage organization/setup changes with them. On the cross stick tip-ups the leaders and Dacron are tied directly to the barrel swivel. That's just how I do it?
Leaders with snaps...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:44 AM »
 For those who just use a plain barrel swivel on your tip up line what do you do with your rigs at the end of the day? Do you just take them off or do you wrap them around your spool? I have noticed that if I wrap then around my spool they get kinked up.

Thanks

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:18 AM »
For those who just use a plain barrel swivel on your tip up line what do you do with your rigs at the end of the day? Do you just take them off or do you wrap them around your spool? I have noticed that if I wrap then around my spool they get kinked up.

Thanks

I use Beaver dam tip-ups, so they are flat and kinda long. When I use steel leaders I use one's that are around 14" long, short enough that my leader isn't on my spool when in the stored position. When it's in the stored position my swivel is a inch or 2 away from the spool and my hook is attached to the end furthest away from my spool.

I found that having a longer steel leader hasn't increased my hook up rates, so I use what fits my tip-ups. If I'm using a flouro leader which I do most of the time I run a leader 24-30" long and wrapping it around the spool isn't a problem for me. One reason I will use a longer flouro leader is in case I get some nicks near my hook I can just cut off a few inches and re-tie a hook on, instead of replacing the whole leader.

Now depending on the style of tip-up you are using you may have to make it so your leader is easily removable to avoid kinking it.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2013, 12:02 AM »
I use a size 4 duo-lock on my tip ups. I think a cross-lock snap type would be stronger, but I hate them for some reason. Also I use duo's in the summer, and have a bunch left over. My leaders have a size 4 power barrel swivel and I just clip them on. Rigs are stored on a rig holder, and tip up line his held down with a rubber band.
-Tom

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:33 PM »
I tie my leaders and quick strike rigs with a swivel. I tie the main line to the swivel.

It doesn't take long to cut the main line if needed to retie a rig.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Hi I am wondering how I should connect my tip up leaders to my tip up line. I am thinking of tying on a snap to the dacron first and then using a barrel swivel which is connected to my rig. I think this will allow me to quickly change rigs and then I will always have a snap on the dacron line for quick removal of used rigs as well.

Any thoughts?

I've done it this way for decades (since the '80s). As you note, it's easy to change rigs; whether they get nicked or kinked or if you want to switch rig configuration altogether.

A kinked/curled leader can be replaced in literal seconds without freezing your hands and/or worrying about if you got the knot right in the cold. When the other boys are rummaging for their "walleye boards" in the evening I'm snappin' on an appropriate leader and fishing in just a couple minutes.

The other way 'round can get open snaps tangled (depending on your storage option) but would function just as well in practice.

Remember to replace that snap on the end of the dacron with each new season
. Snaps can become work fatigued and give way at inopportune moments even if regular inspection seems OK. Don't ask how I know this......... >:(

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:38 AM »
 I like the least amount of terminal tackle between my main line and hook. That is why I use a single swivel. I am not concerned with needing to change out rigs. The swivel is part of the rig. The main line cuts easily. I just tie a new rig on the main line or retie the existing rig.

You have a swivel on your clip and a swivel on your rig. That is a lot of hardware.

On open water walleye rigs their is simply a loop on the rig and a Lindy rig clip on the main line. If you are concerned with needing to change rigs system such as that would suffice.

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I attach a barrel swivel to the tip up line, then tie on a flouro leader.  End of the day just wind it all on, if it's coiled a bit the next time I use it I just stretch the line a bit by hand and it will just straighten out.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:16 AM »

Any thoughts?

Just started doing this last year, and I wouldn't go back.

I like it because with the cross lock snap attached to the main darcon line. It allows you to quickly and easily remove your rigs and at the end of the day have something that will attach to a small eye bolt or another place on the tip up, making sure you are tangle free the next time out.

The use of the barrel swivel allows you to pre make a variety of leaders at home for different situations. It shortened my setup time drastically. And at the end of the day the barrel swivel just slides off the snap, and is putt away in a matter of seconds. 
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:15 PM »
heavy barrel swivel no snaps.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com