Author Topic: Good rod for a kid.  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Good rod for a kid.
« on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:28 PM »
I am looking for a light action, durable rod for my five year old son. I have looked at Ugly Stiks, but they don't seem like they have the forgiveness that a beginner needs. I need something that will give properly to help prevent slack line under the load that a average panfish will pull. He will be fishing mostly with no.8 teardrop jigs with waxies on 4lb line. He is not proficient enough for spring bobbers yet (he is only 5 for pete's sake), so he will be using small Thill Ice n' Fly floats. I would love to get him a high end graphite rod, but I fear it would be broken after his first trip. Is fiberglass the answer?

He is just fine with spinning reels so that is not an issue. He fished all last winter with a crappy Berkley combo, and I want to get him into some decent gear. He is showing a big intrest in icefishing, and I want to encourage him most of all.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Good rod for a kid.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Well that spring bobber on the Legends would be mighty forgiving....just kidding.

Seriously for a beginner, take a look at the HT Ice Blue series of rods.  Its got a little whip, lots of lengths available, cost ya less than ten bucks.  Throw on a little 15 dollar reel, and he should be good to go.

have fun this winter ;)
MASON

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Take him shopping, and let him pick it out..  Pick out a few that fit the budget and keep quality in mind,  and ask him which one do you want?..... ;)  You'll have a hard time getting that rod away from him for a few days..... :D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Left Haned Model, has the right idea! You have to remember, that at any given time, what ever you give them? At that age, they will play with it, and beat the living daylights out of anything nearby!   :o  Let the little ones pick out something cheap and worthless, it will mean allot more to them, than saying this what I think or want!  :-\  When it's broke, just say, TOO BAD! Can't fish anymore!  >:( Two seconds later give in, give them another cheap tool of MASS Destruction!  :D They'll come around!!  :)  :)

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2006, 11:10 PM »
either first ice or some other company had some really cheap (seamed Durable) Rods in Gander Mountion this and last year 10 bucks for the Combo and a little heavier than the HT blue ultra lights
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2006, 12:43 AM »
I just let my son use his little tigger pole, it's only about 24" long and I put 6# on it so that the line doesn't break to easy. Jigging is hard for a little guy to do, they really don't fell or see the bite and know they need to real or set the hook. I normally ended up sitting him right next to me and use my sonar for both of us. He loved that, but I normally had to grab the line and set the hook, the tipups were much easier for the little guys.  :tipup:  flag goes up, run and take the tipup out of the hole and let him pull the fish in. It's awesome when there is a nice pickeral or bass on the other end and end up pull line thru there little fingers, that is why I leave his little knited gloves on.  ;)

Any little pole will work for a 5 year old. A closed face cast spinning reel and rod will be your easiest. It will help keep the snow out and off the line and spool then they are dropped in the snow.  ;)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:00 AM »
My son uses the Frabill Panfish rod with the spring bobber.  He has learned to hold the rod steady and watch the tip of the spring.  He has gotten pretty good at it and can pretty much let him do it himself. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:19 AM »
go to jamminjigs.com

4 nice jig poles for 20 bucks and $2.95 shipping...quite a few members on here use them and like them....bought some this fall....the guy stands behind his product...nice wooden handles....various actions, you select, and in 24 and 28 inch lengths....

Check them out...you might like them yourself.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:30 AM »
tip ups..the boys love watching those flags, and racing to get them....any pole with a fish on the other end is surely a good one for youngsters.  my boys didnt like jigging, nor had the patience for it, until i got the vex....then it was, 'dad this is just like playstation'......

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:37 PM »
I, said cheap and worthless, should have said cheap and priceless!  ;) Let, the kids fish! Just watch out for the valuable stuff!  :)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Check out the guide series rods.  I don't know what they cost as I bought mine all at the end of the year for about $12 a combo, but I love it for crappies. 

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:16 AM »
HT Ice Blue and a small triggerspin reel. ;)

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:46 AM »
just make a jig stick ;)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:00 AM »
i have 3 kids, i found the best rod to be the one that they pick out, something they can brag about getting and catching fish on, you get the kid a expensive pole that you love and know is the best for him/her, they wont want to fish, you let the kid pick out a spongbob pole and that kid cant wait to get to the water and cast it out, and you will never hear the end of how he/she picked out the pole that caught the biggest fish of the day, and the kid will hound you to take him again and again :tipup: if you want a fishing buddy for life, let him/her pick the pole, theyll learn and when they get older will make the right decision on a new pole, if you need a new pole and want to use the kid as an excuse to get it, buy the expensive one :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Left Haned Model, has the right idea! You have to remember, that at any given time, what ever you give them? At that age, they will play with it, and beat the living daylights out of anything nearby!   :o  Let the little ones pick out something cheap and worthless, it will mean allot more to them, than saying this what I think or want!  :-\  When it's broke, just say, TOO BAD! Can't fish anymore!  >:( Two seconds later give in, give them another cheap tool of MASS Destruction!  :D They'll come around!!  :)  :)

I bought him a cheapie last winter and he treats it like the holy grail! He keeps it in a special place and wont even let his brother look at it!! As far as Spongebob poles, he gave his up last summer because he couldn't cast far enough with it. The little fart said "dad, I need a better pole, this one is for kids".

i have 3 kids, i found the best rod to be the one that they pick out, something they can brag about getting and catching fish on, you get the kid a expensive pole that you love and know is the best for him/her, they wont want to fish, you let the kid pick out a spongbob pole and that kid cant wait to get to the water and cast it out, and you will never hear the end of how he/she picked out the pole that caught the biggest fish of the day, and the kid will hound you to take him again and again :tipup: if you want a fishing buddy for life, let him/her pick the pole, theyll learn and when they get older will make the right decision on a new pole, if you need a new pole and want to use the kid as an excuse to get it, buy the expensive one :tipup:

I want to let him pick it out for sure, but I need to guide him into something functional. I was thinking of something bright and colorful for visibility and fun. Durability is a must also. Maybe I will just take him to Cabelas or Thorne Bros and cut him loose and see what he picks out. As far as me needing a new rod, I did go for the expensive one ;D A St. Croix Legend with a Shimano Symetry 750 on it. $130 before tax :-\

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:06 AM »
As far as Spongebob poles, he gave his up last summer because he couldn't cast far enough with it.
Are you looking for an ice rod or an open water rod? 

Offline Gary_602z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:24 PM »
One thing that you want to keep in mind is what depths do you normal fish? If it is 10-15 feet then something with a little plastic reel and a fixed bobber is probably fine. (Hey they like to back up with the rod in the air). If it is deeper then you might want to go with a spinning reel and a slip bobber.

Gary

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Are you looking for an ice rod or an open water rod? 

An ice rod. It was suggested to use a spongebob pole for ice because of its short length.

I just let my son use his little tigger pole, it's only about 24" long and I put 6# on it so that the line doesn't break to easy.

Spongebob, Tigger, same difference ;D

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2006, 09:30 PM »
$130.00 for any combo! Out,of my league! :unsure:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.