Author Topic: 13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost??  (Read 15927 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: 13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost??
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I am a spinning reel kinda guy here myself. I do like the free fall and stop idea for my electronics when targeting crappie and perch. Will this ghost fit the bill for a first in line ice reel?
If you are going to get a inline reel I would really suggest that you check out the 13 fishing bb-6160. It is a quality reel that I think got better after the first generation. I chose that reel for my first. No problem using it with your electronics, watch your bait drop and you can stop it right where you want. Having said that I did purchase a ghost, hoping it will perform as advertised. Planning to take my little boat out with my vex to see how it goes, can't wait for ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:36 PM »
So i got the reel today. Reel weighs 6.5 oz. Spool is plastic. Frame is composite. Feels good in hand, very comfortable for pistol grip, the spool guard in the rear prevents  the palm from touching the spool. Trigger feature is awesome, it is perfectly placed next to your index finger, so you can drop the lure with just 1 hand and have the other hand in the pocket. The drop speed control is very accurate and sensitive, you would be able to adjust the speed to any lure weight. The drag feels nice, it has the clicking sound, so it can be adjusted more precisely unlike on the CGI. Only complaint is that there is good amount of play between the knobs and the handle, you can feel the knobs move back and forth on the shaft when reeling, but i can live with it. I think the trigger makes this reel worth the price. They should have called it white betty :)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Any new updates on this reel?
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:07 PM »
I tried to get into the in-line reel game last year.  I had a couple of the cheaper Eagle Claw models.  I didn't really care for them.  Would this 13 Fishing Ghost model make me a believer?
I too bought the eagle claws, don't like them. I bought the ghost last week, just playing around with it in the garage, I like well enough to go buy another one tomorrow.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:54 PM »
What didn't you like about the Eagle Claw reels?

Chute82

« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2017, 05:31 AM »
What didn't you like about the Eagle Claw reels?

Adjusting the drag on the EC has to be the worst...besides that for the $20 I paid not a bad reel

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Adjusting the drag on the EC has to be the worst...besides that for the $20 I paid not a bad reel
Your right about the drags,but if you do a little work on them they are really ok.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Is there any way to change the washer out of these to a carbon one? Would make a significant difference I would think

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:50 AM »
How much line do you guys put on these Ghost's and Freefalls?   I bought one of each at the Dakota Angler Institute last week. 

Will likely use 3 pound mono.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:10 AM »
How much line do you guys put on these Ghost's and Freefalls?   I bought one of each at the Dakota Angler Institute last week. 

Will likely use 3 pound mono.

50 yards for me, mainly just because I can get two reels worth out of one spool of line. I use 2# mono for mine.
Da Pack!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:30 AM »
50 yards for me, mainly just because I can get two reels worth out of one spool of line. I use 2# mono for mine.
one thing I noticed when I got my first bb-6061 was that if you put too much  line ai was running into a problem of loops coming off and getting caught under the knob that holds the spool on. So not really thinking about getting two spools out of a hundred yards that is what I have been doing for the last two seasons. Mostly fish in less than 30 fow' so it works out just fine.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Thanks Guys.   Sounds good to me.  I, too, am usually in 25 or less FOW.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Your right about the drags,but if you do a little work on them they are really ok.

What work did you do on the drag?  I've never did anything like that, the only work I've ever done on a reel is to grease or oil it and change the line.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:41 PM »
After reading this thread Im pretty excited. I won a 28" Jason Mitchell Deadmeat at a tourney this weekend so Im pairing it with a Freefall Ghost. Cant wait to see how it does!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:50 PM »
After reading this thread Im pretty excited. I won a 28" Jason Mitchell Deadmeat at a tourney this weekend so Im pairing it with a Freefall Ghost. Cant wait to see how it does!

The new ones this year seem to have a very smooth drag. I love the one i have on my noodle rod. Hopeing to get another one when stuff goes on sale this spring
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.