Author Topic: BEST BOOTS FOR ICE FISHING?  (Read 34633 times)

Offline stevepslab

• IceShanty Rookie
BEST BOOTS FOR ICE FISHING?
« on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:57 AM »
I am looking to upgrade my foot wear this ice season. Seems my feet get cold easy, that's why. Probably cause they sweat a lot. Looking for ideas on best boot or sock combo you guys all use to keep your feet warm in weather 10 degrees to -30. Steve.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: BEST BOOTS FOR ICE FISHING?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2018, 05:12 AM »
 There are several reasons for feet to get cold. One main reason is the boot fits just right. You need extra room around your foot so it isn't pressing against the cold boot all the time and there's plenty of wiggle room. Usually a size larger or extra wide will do it.

Another reason is perspiration. One thing to try if your feet sweat a lot is anti-perspirant. Use the aerosol and spray it on your feet. Dry feet are warm feet.

If you don't want to do that, get some polypropylene liner socks and a pair of nice warm Merino wool socks. The liner wicks moisture away and the wool will keep you warm. Damp wool will actually gets warmer.

Make sure your boots are insulated and waterproof. Every other year or so a good spray down with campdry or other waterproofing spray will keep out the cold.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:37 AM »
There are several reasons for feet to get cold. One main reason is the boot fits just right. You need extra room around your foot so it isn't pressing against the cold boot all the time and there's plenty of wiggle room. Usually a size larger or extra wide will do it.

Agree. Many guys don't realize that it's the air that provides the insulation, whether in your boots or in the attic. Squeezing the air out with tight fit will make your feet colder. An extra pair of socks is not necessarily a good thing.

Offline jayman_1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Warmest boots I have ever worn.   And I have spent a ton on different boots as I have unusually cold feet

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/apparels-and-protective-gear/boots/ckx-boots-yukon?sku=033081&keyword=Ckx%20yukon

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Get yourself a pair of these.  Warmest boots I have ever worn and I have blown a ton of money trying to find warm boots.  I have colder than normal feet and these are great. 

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/apparels-and-protective-gear/boots/ckx-boots-yukon?sku=033081&keyword=Ckx%20yukon

50 bucks cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/CKX-Boots-Yukon-Size-9/dp/B017NSPS1W

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:22 AM »
My vote is for the Cabelas Trans-Alaska Pac Boot.  I've had mine for 4 years, maybe more, still like new and the warmest boot I've ever had.  The only boot I've never got cold feet in.  And they are comfortable, not the greatest for long treks but OK.
Mine are dedicated to ice fishing with ice screws installed.
Boots are definitely a personal preference item - there are several on the market that will keep you warm.  Your style of fishing will be a big factor in boot selection, as well.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:38 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty Stevepslab. There is a treasure trove of information on boots in those links up top! I tell all my friends and family when explaining Ice shanty that there are 80,000 members, if even only 10 [there are so many more than ten] of those guys have fished 30+ years and willingly come on here and give advice and tips and tricks they have learned. Then you can learn more on here than you can experience in a lifetime. Not to mention all the younger guys showcasing the innovation and evolution of the sport. Best of luck on your boot quest, happy hunting.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:11 AM »
last season I started wearing the Muck Artic Pro and they worked great for me. I bought those and the Kahtoolas to start the season last year and I am very happy.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Good info distilled down here already. Proper fit (need toe wiggle room) and antiperspirant spray for sweaty feet ( I can't wear rubber boots at all) I like Sure unscented, are difference makers. My boots are 2 season old Cabelas Trans Alaskans. Same as fishforpike, first time in my life my feet have been comfortable.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I tried a pair of Cabela's Trans Alaska a few years back but they were just too much boot for me, especially after slapping on Kahtoola spikes. Remember those scenes where Godzilla laid waste to Tokyo. It felt like that. Since that experiment I've sacrificed the maximum possible warmth for lighter weight and simplicity and just picked up some Kamik
front zipper and replaced the Kahtoolas with ice studs. They seem fine for what I do. Very subjective topic with few wrong answers
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Last year I broke down and bought a pair of Trans Alaskans , my feet are dry and warm , , but takes a little getting use to walking as there is 3”s of space from the ice to the bottom of your foot , But do run on the small side I ordered 2 sizes  up
  But like already mentioned there are many good choices out there

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I greatly improved a pair of hunting boots by adding an alpaca insole (a gift). Didn't really have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Then again, I don't have trouble with cold feet.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:23 PM »
I switched from my trusty mickeys boots to muck arctic pros.arctic pros are light and pretty warm but if the arthritis in my hip was gone id still wear my mickeys..warm with any sock combination.ive only used my arctic pros one season tho.but a few days i could feel my toes getting cold after being out all day.not freezing cold but wearing my mickeys i was used to never having cold feet.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I switched from my trusty mickeys boots to muck arctic pros.arctic pros are light and pretty warm but if the arthritis in my hip was gone id still wear my mickeys..warm with any sock combination.ive only used my arctic pros one season tho.but a few days i could feel my toes getting cold after being out all day.not freezing cold but wearing my mickeys i was used to never having cold feet.

With ya' on the Mickey's Doc. If they weren't so damn heavy and these old bones and muscles were about 30 years younger,  I'd still be sporting them too...You wouldn't happen to know someone who could carry me to my hole do you?  :whistle: :roflmao:

Been wearing my Lacrosse Iceman's for years complete with screws for cleats...no issues.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I love my Trans Alaskans. 

Last year I broke down and bought a pair of Trans Alaskans , my feet are dry and warm, but takes a little getting use to walking as there is 3”s of space from the ice to the bottom of your foot.

I was OK walking, but picking stuff up off the ice while standing, or trying to... that produced some laughter.   Like, woah, the ground is way down there!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline jayman_1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:09 PM »
50 bucks cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/CKX-Boots-Yukon-Size-9/dp/B017NSPS1W

That link is Canadian dollars so amazon is in USD so very close to the same money.  Get a pair, they are amazing warm.

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Lot of people set up for cold feet. Don't drive your car to ice fish while wearing snow boots also if you walk far then you may wanna change your socks. It's all about the sweat. Avoid it if possible otherwise your feet may be cold.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:32 PM »
I love my Trans Alaskans. 

I was OK walking, but picking stuff up off the ice while standing, or trying to... that produced some laughter.   Like, woah, the ground is way down there!

:thumbsup: Yep. I'm 6'2" in the TAs...  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:44 PM »
:thumbsup: Yep. I'm 6'2" in the TAs...  ::)

And I'm 6'5" before I put 'em on!  Frankenstein after.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2018, 10:36 PM »
last season I started wearing the Muck Artic Pro and they worked great for me. I bought those and the Kahtoolas to start the season last year and I am very happy.

Same combo I wear and it’s fantastic, IMO.

I also wear an ultra light thermal liner under a heavy weight merino sock. I usually spray my feet with an aerosol anti-persperant and I’m good to go for the day. Best setup I’ve come across. I’ve had my Mucks for about 5 seasons and I can’t complain at all. Light weight, low profile (especially for a 14), and warm.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:10 PM »
i have to say NOT Baffin.     bought a pair of Baffin trappers 3 years back   and the rubber is cracking at the flex points near the arch

one boot leaks

sad to say Baffin has Zero warranty.     nada. chinese made you think they could warranty 120 bux a pair boots

these were good looking tall. boots with removable inserts i had high hopes

comparably the sorels pac boots dad bought me when i was 12.   lasted till i was 23 before any rubber deterioration

the good old days

will be seeking a better choice.    patching the baffin see how they take a patch

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I have tried just about every boot out there and for the past 4 years now I only use Eva winter boots. They are lighest boot you can get which will be a great help if you are out on the ice all day. I have never gotten cold feet since using them and they are 100% waterproof, since there are no seams in them. It also helps that most pairs have removable liners that can be washed. I only suggest that you get a pair that is a 1/2 size larger than your regular shoe size.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Baffin Titans---#1 !!

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2018, 05:09 PM »
another one for Muck Arctic Pro

Love the shin high sides especially when things get slushy or deep.

Also nice to not have laces to tie/replace/maintain

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2018, 06:57 PM »
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABLEAS-INFERNO-BOA-G/2498567.uts?slotId=1

Love these, super comfortable and warm even at -30.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Baffin Titans---#1 !!

Just got some a couple days ago!!

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Here's my shoe sock boot system.
Pollypro sock liner with a heavy wool sock. When driving I aware a pair of gym shoes that are all mesh. That way my feet do sweat it should evaporate. I where white mickey boots when I fish. They keep my feet pretty warm. If they get cold I'll walk around for 5 minutes and they warm up .
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I wore 50 dollar craftsman water proof boots all last season. They have a liner.

Between those and my bibs. I only wear really thin socks and my feet stay warm and dry.

They are one size bigger for extra room

I did wool sock thing, didnt help with the foot sweat.

I also put in some foot powder before a trip to help with the sweat my feet make.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

CowDawg

« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Like what has already been said..

pair of polypropylene liner socks
pair of merlino wool socks

During deer season, for the first time in my life I have also worn the white Mickey Mouse boots and they were warm for stump sitting.
This past year I have also purchased Cabela's Saskatchewan boots too..

I am also going to try the antiperspirant when I remember to buy a big can. My feet sweat big time.
at the end of the day put your boots on a boot dryer overnight to dry the insoles !!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.