Author Topic: Panfish Combo?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panfish Combo?
« on: Nov 13, 2016, 01:58 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a high end panfish combo before we get ice and looking for suggestions. $200- $250 would be my budget for the combo...Right now I'm leaning to a TUCR Bullwhip with a Pflueger Limited Edition President. Most of my fishing is done hole hopping 5mm Tungsten w/plastics.
Also looking into the new Black Betty Freefall...Hefty price for an ice reel and the only real downside to inlines I've found is you can't get your jig back down as quick as you could versus a conventional spinning reel. Any suggestions on other reels/rods or feedback on the ones mentioned would be much appreciated.

Questions about the Bullwhip for those that have experience
-Is it sensitive enough to fish 4-5mm jigs? I know a lot of guys use smaller spoons with them and didn't know if the tip would be soft enough to pick up those light bites on lighter jigs
-Can you customize the rod color? I read on a few threads that you can customize the color/design but I can't find any pictures of a customized Bullwhip or that option/price on their website

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panfish Combo?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2016, 02:16 AM »
Cabelas had the President LEs for $49.99 right now. Great buy.  Just fyi.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2016, 07:12 AM »
 you might take a peek at 13 fishings Ticklestick. UL models have VERY sensitive tips, and one of my favorite reels for UL action is a Tica Cetus SE500 model, very light and very smooooth.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I recently picked up a TUCR Bullwhip after lots of investigating into a panfish jigging rod that differentiates itself from the noodle rods I already have. It's going to be tough to find a rod that better suits panfishing with tungstens. Great sensitivity with the black pearl rec guides, then snaps into the backbone. I've heard good things about bricker custom rods as well, but don't have any experience with them.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2016, 10:18 AM »
Thorne Bros rods would also be an option. I currently have 2, and both are very sensitive.   One is the panfish sweetheart,  and quite honestly,  I don't remember what model the other one is.  As I said, both are very sensitive,  and can handle small jigs, and spoons.  Good luck with whatever combo you choose.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2016, 10:25 AM »

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2016, 12:16 PM »
I have the TUCR Bullwhip and Precision Noodle. I actually prefer the Bullwhip for the 4MM or bigger tungstens and 1/16oz spoons. The Precision Noodle I use 4MM or smaller jigs, anything bigger and it loads up pretty good

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2016, 06:46 PM »
I would get a Bricker or Great Lakes or ace or dh

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.