The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Strikemaster Honda-Lite 4-cycle synthetic oil 0W-20  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
I just received a package in the mail from StrikeMaster containing their new synthetic 0W-20 oil to be used in their Honda-Lite augers. The letter states this is:
"Due to changes in oil recommendations by Honda Motor Company."

Also included is a decal to attach to the engine indicating oil capacity at 3.4oz and how to fill & check the oil level. I could not find this oil capacity info in either of the owner manuals found in the StrikeMaster box packaging. I could only find the following statement in the Honda gx35 manual:
"When refilling with fresh oil, start with less than 80cm^3 (2.7 US oz, 2.8 Imp oz). Slowly add enough oil to fill to the bottom edge of the oil fill hole as shown below."

So, I'm glad StrikeMaster and Honda has mailed this oil spec change and new container of oil to their customers, that's what quality companies just do!  Hope I can find the 3.4oz bottle of synthetic 4-cycle 0W-20 on store shelves in the future.

Here is the StrikeMaster website offering the oil under  'Power Augers & Parts' then click 'Misc Parts'
http://www.rapala.com/0W-20/0W-20,default,pd.html
I don't see any price information at this time.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: New Strikemaster Honda-Lite 4-cycle synthetic oil 0W-20
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2013, 04:11 PM »
I will say this, Weatherman.

I have not and will not use any lubricant in any engine I own, unless it comes from Amsoil.    ;)2

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2013, 04:22 PM »
I hear you Idaho,
I also use 0W-40 AMSOIL in the Honda 4-wheeler, I like the improved feel of shifting gears with their oil.  Do you know if AMSOIL does indeed make a 4-cycle 0W-20 oil?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2013, 01:13 PM »
That what I used for years in small engines. The second item, at this link is a bit lighter at 10W-30. If you click on it, you'll get more info & at the bottom of the page, all the engineering specifications are there. Good luck on understanding it, ha.    ;)2

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/4-stroke/

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Thanks Sailor,
What a great find from AMSOIL - a 0W-20 signature series synthetic.  I think I will use this AMSOIL product in my Honda Lite StrikeMaster,  unless someone more knowledgeable can read the oil specification and make a better determination.

From the new StrikeMaster 4-cycle Synthetic oil is listed on the label:  API SM 0W-20

From the AMSOIL datasheet it has listed: 0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM...;

A little research on the API (American Petroleum Institute) website:
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/engineoilguide_march2010.pdf

SM = For all automotive engines currently in use. Introduced in 2004, SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Unless someone more knowledgeable can read the oil specification and make a better determination.

My disclaimer is, I may not be more knowledgeable. I am able to understand the Product Data Bulletins and how the tests are set up.

I've only been a Lifetime Dealer for 25 years and have been studying and using Amsoil products for eight years before that, in a shop environment.

That is very limited knowledge, compared to the Amsoil engineers, chemists and technicians, who formulate and test products. 

I really think you owe it to yourself and your auger, to talk to Product Technical Services before using an automotive lubricant in that application.

You'll find the Phone number at the bottom of every page, on the Amsoil site, on the right.

Before calling, maybe check this link.    ;)2         http://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLookups/lookups/GroupSEL.aspx?group=2

Tom

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Tom, thanks - that is a good recommendation, I'll call Amsoil.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Bump,

From everything you guys have stated. It looks like I should be using amisol 0-20 for my Honda Stikelight, instead of 10W-30 Outboard marine oil?? Its what the guy at the store recommended. But if amisol is what I need, im just going to order some.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:34 PM »
NEVER use a 2 cycle marine oil in an AIR COOLED engine. Follow the I'gator.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.