Author Topic: Large deadbait for pike  (Read 2343 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Large deadbait for pike
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:11 PM »
When using a big deadbait, over 10 inches long, for big pike would it be better to leave the bait hole or fillet it out?
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Large deadbait for pike
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:51 AM »
When using a big deadbait, over 10 inches long, for big pike would it be better to leave the bait hole or fillet it out?

10 inches may be a bit long, maybe use some smaller bait??

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:56 AM »
10" is not too big for most any pike. I've caught 2 footers on bait that size, I'd leave it in the round. I've fished up to 15" deads in the round with a quick strike rig. Smallest fish on that size was 39".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:28 AM »
10" is not too big for most any pike. I've caught 2 footers on bait that size, I'd leave it in the round. I've fished up to 15" deads in the round with a quick strike rig. Smallest fish on that size was 39".

10 inches ain't nothing to a pike. I've caught small pike on huge bait and huge pike on small bait.

Definitely use a quick strike for larger baits.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Make sure to check the reg when you are using this size of bait.  In MN a CO may think you are targeting muskies and you could get a ticket if you are on a lake with muskies (after Dec 2 this year). 
I have never tried that big of bait for pike but have tried hot dogs without any success.  Please keep us posted on how you do.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Make sure to check the reg when you are using this size of bait.  In MN a CO may think you are targeting muskies and you could get a ticket if you are on a lake with muskies (after Dec 2 this year). 

That sounds like a stretch for a ticket. If there’s no special regulations pertaining to size of bait, they can’t just ticket you without seeing you catch/keep a fish. the method of targeting both species is the same, so just fishing for pike can be seen as fishing for Muskie, regardless of the anglers target species.
Here in Maine, Sebago Lake is one of the few lakes that has native landlocked Atlantic Salmon, and they are closed from harvest from oct-Jan. But the lake is still open to fishing and encourages harvest of smaller lake trout. The law just says they must be released immediately during open water, or when caught through the ice they must be released without removal from the water. So no quick pics or measurements.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12:51 PM »
This is in montana so so there is no particular seasons for fish species  ;D
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.