Author Topic: Whats a good age to take you kid ice fishing?  (Read 12429 times)

Offline dinick

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats a good age to take you kid ice fishing?
« on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:06 PM »
I can't wait to take my son ice fishing but a lot of people have told me he's to young. He is 2 1/2 years old. What does everyone think is a good age to take a kid ice fishing?

Thanks

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Whats a good age to take you kid ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Short trips ...lots of snacks ...let him play with the minnows in the bucket ...check his pockets before going in...let him see you land a fish on a tip up ...bring a kite ...anything to keep him out as long as you can and he can tolerate the weather or boredom ...get that young'n out in nature . PS don't expect to catch a lot of fish ..expect to go home earlier then expected ...pick your day ...bluebird days are great for kids outing but not much for fishing sometimes . Your creating a memory ...take lots of pictures .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 05:00 PM »
I can't wait to take my son ice fishing but a lot of people have told me he's to young. He is 2 1/2 years old. What does everyone think is a good age to take a kid ice fishing?

Thanks
here is part of my posse angelfish 7 gnat gnat 5 and the dominator 3. the dominator and his sisters went as early as 2 years old but really didnt catch fish till 3 or 4.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Funny you should ask.....

My Dad took me when I was 2 - 3, something like that. Of course he told me to watch where I was walking and (of course) I stepped into a weathered hole slipping in up to my (then) tiny waist.

He hauled me out and we went the two blocks to his folks house, got me dried off and wrapped in an old wool afghan to warm up. To this day I love wool (especially wet) and the smell of it. Heck, if they made 100% wool jockey shorts I'd wear 'em. He never took me ice fishing again. I digress.....

I started taking my son about 4 years old. Did everything. Eventually had some discussions on helping with the stuff. He was (and still is) great! Probably the best helper in our deer camp 'cept for me. Now, I've created a "monster" (the good kind) and he has his own kids. Guess what? Along they come, it's lots of work on the front but when you get to the part where they're old enough to pull their own and if you've done it right you will be rewarded.

At least I have been.

So, short answer: Take them when you can. Make it fun for them. Be willing to sacrifice your agenda to build a companion for the future. and never forget - it's all good.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 06:53 PM »
pick your days when it is relatively warm so he is not miserable.  if there is some snow on the ice and you can make a small snow man about his height and let him tackle it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:11 PM »
He is not to young to fish at all .. bring him but I suggest bring mom cause keeping a eye on a young kid is hard when setting tip ups or even around lanterns heaters etc.. but don't pawn the kids off on mom the whole time .. you got to remember its give and take you got to give some to get some.. so next time she wants to do some thing remember to help her out. That way you get a little  fishing time in to with the young one.. just rembe don't make them stay if they get cold and find fun stuff to do snow angels to snow forts and coloring snow forts with food coloring and water in a water bottle with a squeeze top.  Just remember not to color the snow to mark area were you fish if it is public.. soup and hot coco for treats is aways good to keep people and kids warm..  I would start him young just like we  all have been..  always make it s family event when their young and want to fish cause mommy is away a big help when you want free time to do a little fishing.. for ten minutes  here ten minutes there .. they maybe saying that cause young kid of 2 years old are a hand full..  don't let it get in your way  cause you could always help your wife out when she wants time away to so remember that she helped so you got to help her when it is her turn!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I think it's more of a case of how well does the kid listen and the conditions.  I'm going to try to take my six year old with me for the first time this year and it may sound crazy to some but I'm going to make her wear a life preserver.  Yeah she might look silly but I'd rather her look silly and be safe than have her fall through a hole, you can't be too careful when it comes to kids if you ask me.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016, 01:13 PM »
I think it's more of a case of how well does the kid listen and the conditions.  I'm going to try to take my six year old with me for the first time this year and it may sound crazy to some but I'm going to make her wear a life preserver.  Yeah she might look silly but I'd rather her look silly and be safe than have her fall through a hole, you can't be too careful when it comes to kids if you ask me.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!I Bought a house on an 80 acre lake about 6 years ago. I used to take my kids on Lake Erie in the boat when they were young. When my 30 year old daughter got on my pontoon to take a ride on the new lake, she asked if she had to wear a life jacket. I told her no, but I told her where they were. All the little ones wear them. I actually slip a vest on when I go on the boat alone. I wear an Ice Armor flotation suit on the ice. Good luck.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline dinick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 02:20 PM »
thanks for all the replies! I'm looking forward for taking my family out on the ice this winter and having a good time and hopefully catch some fish!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2016, 02:24 PM »
just remember to watch him like a hawk and remember, when you bring little kids out fishing or anyting like that, it's all about the kids. When I take my little ones I expect to not get any fishing done, I just make sure it's fun for them. That's what makes it fun for me. Catching fish is great but not if all they want to do is go home.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2016, 06:10 PM »
A bit more of advise.. Like I was saying try to do it on a warmer day with the family that way all you got to do is carry buckets to sit on and whats in them plus auger and young one in other arm.. if planning on using a hub shanty might want to re consider??  cause about being cold and take down time .. if you do bring a hub shanty bring the wife and give her the keys to start off to the truck and get the heat going for the little one frozen toes are not good for kids thats why go on a warmer day if alone and just bring buckets so you don't have to carry much. Out or take down once cold.. also pfd are a great idea so is the coco like said earlier that and some fun stuff to do.. only plan for maybe hour or two max if you go with out the shelter on a warmer day.. and always ask if the young ones getting cold..  might save him from hating the experience..

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2016, 12:02 PM »
All good tips above. Just watch out for the little one and large auger holes. When my daughters were that age. They always seemed to find them. :o. It will be fine and have fun.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

servocam

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Short trips ...lots of snacks ...let him play with the minnows in the bucket ...check his pockets before going in...let him see you land a fish on a tip up ...bring a kite ...anything to keep him out as long as you can and he can tolerate the weather or boredom ...get that young'n out in nature . PS don't expect to catch a lot of fish ..expect to go home earlier then expected ...pick your day ...bluebird days are great for kids outing but not much for fishing sometimes . Your creating a memory ...take lots of pictures .

^^^^^this - I have 5 kids

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2016, 03:57 PM »
I started taking my Son ice fishing when he was 4.  I think it's important to keep them comfortable at that age so we didn't go if it was extremely cold.  At that age, I usually set up a shanty with a heater to keep him comfortable.  We went for panfish in a place where we were likely to get plenty of bites....we went for quantity over quality of fish.  We didn't get many big ones but catching them in numbers kept him interested since they have short attention spans at that age.  As stated previously, we brought plenty of snacks.  I also let him run out and show the other fishermen in the area his "monster bluegill" which was likely only 6 or 7 inches.  They were all good sports and he thought he was the world's greatest fisherman when he showed them.  I also brought a cell phone so he could call his Grandfather and let him know every time he caught one - they both loved it.  Keeping him comfortable, his mind occupied, and lots of encouragement helped mold him into a lifelong fishing buddy.  We've taken many ice and open water trips since then.  I'm glad I made the effort to get him interested when he was so young. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:21 PM »
I think someone starting at any age, the most important thing is to have fun (which includes being safe and comfortable)...

<°)))>{

Offline fowl_attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2016, 12:41 PM »
We have a farm pond so I have  bit of an unfair advantage on this as I have placed structure in it particularly to fish over with my kids. But what I have done with my girls who last winter were 6 and 2 is we play in the snow awhile or go sledding on the back side of the pond. When they are tired of climbing the hill I will cut a couple of holes and we will fish for half an hour. Then go back to sledding, then back to fishing. I never force them to sit there longer than they want to. Have a couple of extra pairs of gloves as their gloves will get wet. I never bring my fishing poles. It is all about them experiencing it. Last year my youngest was 2 and she had a blast.  She actually out fished her older sister this summer.  The only difficult thing was trying to get her to realize we had to wait for the fish. She would real one up and say "do it again Dad... do it again".  My oldest liked it so much we made her valentine box for school an ice fishing themed box.  My most exciting outings last year were with my kids.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:00 PM »
lots of guys already know the secret - bring other things for them to do. :)

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2016, 05:04 AM »
I am planning on bringing my 1 year old son out this winter. i figured double of what I'm using because he wants to copy everything i do or have. i am spending more on his gear this year then mine just to make sure he is warm and comfy. Cant wait too get out there and jig up some fish!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:20 AM »
for a 1 yr old, make sure you bring some kind of waterproof, thermal mat for them to hang out on. A few of those foam puzzle type play mats would be just the ticket. And watch him like a hawk around holes...

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:49 AM »

3X
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:25 AM »
1 year old is to youngjust my opinion, I took my son at 3 years old haad a permy to go to. At 3 his attention span was very short he wanted to catch a fish but the wait was the hardest part. We played cards (go fish) built snowmen and ate alot of snacks. Took my daughter and grandsons at age 5 much better experience for all of us.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2016, 12:55 PM »
I started my kids around that age.  I had a pupup hub shelter.  I would have someone (mother/grandparent) bring them later and pick them up earlier when they were that age.  At 4 or so they started staying out all day.  Go to some place where you will have lots of action.  You will be amazed how fun it is to catch slime darts and little perch when it's your kids first time.

This is my little guy the first time he spent the full day on the ice.  He was rocking back and forth on the cooler and the next thing I know he is asleep on the cooler just like you see him.  Great day on the ice!  Six years later and he still loves it.

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2016, 03:56 AM »
I have a polar bird 3T with the insulated floor. Between that and dragging him around in a sled we are going to have a blast. Thanks for the foam mat idea

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I started my kids around that age.  I had a pupup hub shelter.  I would have someone (mother/grandparent) bring them later and pick them up earlier when they were that age.  At 4 or so they started staying out all day.  Go to some place where you will have lots of action.  You will be amazed how fun it is to catch slime darts and little perch when it's your kids first time.

This is my little guy the first time he spent the full day on the ice.  He was rocking back and forth on the cooler and the next thing I know he is asleep on the cooler just like you see him.  Great day on the ice!  Six years later and he still loves it.......... That's freakin hilarious!

Don't use anything over 6" for an auger... Your kids will always find the biggest hole to fall into. Also always cover your auger blade... For same reason as above. ... O yea,  don't expect to catch many fish,  you will be spending most of your time unhooking fish,  untangling lines, taking care of ouchies and generally trying to keep the kids from killing them selfs.  Enjoy!  (My son at 3 years old)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I started taking my son when he was 3. He is 7 now and loves it. In fact, he can't wait for the ice to freeze to go this year.  First of all, pick a warm blue bird day.  If it is cold and nasty, it will be a short trip; trust me, I have been there.  Bring plenty of snacks and hot cocoa. He also wears a life preserver under his coat.  Keep him near you at all times.  I remind my kid every year to watch out for spear holes.  I usually pull him in the sled so he doesn't have to walk so far. Have patience; Once, I had to walk 300 yards back to the truck to get a Batman toy!  The first few years, he will want to do other things besides fishing, so bring toys.  The older he gets, the more fishing he will want to do.  Find a panfish or perch hole where he can catch lots of fish, because not catching fish while waiting for that big Northern or Walleye is boring!  When he asks to go home, it's time to go! No questions, or he may not want to go ice fishing again (I learned that with my oldest).  And finally, have fun! That's about all that I can think of.  One more thing, make sure you have a camera to get a pic of his first fish.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Heck yeah I would take em. When my girls where under 2 it was mostly just playing on the ice and making sure they didn't trip on the fishing poles or step into the holes. After they got over 2 it was still kind of the same, but at least I would get to fish for 15 min and then play for half hour then fish for 15 min and so on. Only about 2-3 hours worth of being on the ice though. This year my oldest will be almost 4 and she is already excited to go ice fishing. I say take your kids to do everything outdoorsy that you can. They grow up quick, and will hopefully grow up to like being outside and not being a "millennial" which technically is my generation(unfortunately) haha. I hate being inside and I'm trying to raise my kids to be the same. They go hunting, fishing, hiking, to get firewood, anything I do they do as well. Granted they are more or less just playing outside times than actually accomplishing anything times. Get them their "own" equipment too. My kids "help" me use the auger(its not gas powered) they have their own poles and get mad if I use them, and they help scoop the ice out of the hole after we break through to the water. And my last bit of advice is MAKE SURE THEY PEE BEFORE YOU LEAVE! Those snow suites are hard to get off when nature calls and a bare bottom in 15-40 degree weather is not much fun!

Offline Rustyfa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:43 PM »

I'm doing the same thing.  Same as and she will have a life jacket on as well as a rope.  smart choice imo.

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:25 PM »

Took  my son out with a rental the first time when he was 4.  nice and warm and comfy inside.

Def make my kids wear a life jacket when i take them out, i know its probably silly (im not taking them out on anything less than 8") and they dont need it but ive got my float suit and picks and they got nothing, and if something catastrophic happens and they fall in a huge open hole or something you cant very well dive in with a float suit on!

Whenever I go fishing with the family I don''t expect to get any fishing done.  Going in with that expectation makes things easier, can only keep your cool so many times after getting a follower only to hear "daaaad" and have to reel up to to help.  I'm concentrating on making sure they all have fun, I like to think its an investment for the future, couple years hopefully they are enthusiastic anglers begging me to take them out.

I bring snacks, movies, colouring books, candy ...and they really like playing with minnows lol
Also if you can find an ice taxi to take you out is helpful, because they are usually exhausted after a walk in the snow/ice or you will be draggin them in the sled!!!

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I took my son out I believe 2 years ago when he turned 5, didn't go very well.  I'd say 6 is better (his birthday is in January).  I'm not good at packing toys and stuff and my wife doesn't come.  I made the mistake to take him out in a blizzard, it wasn't extremely cold, but my 4x4 failed and I shattered the rear end carrier on my truck while leaving the boat launch.  Ended up installing a Eaton Truetrac myself, fixed the 4x4 and shouldn't have that issue again.  At 6 years old, he's been able to re-focus much better when I tell him it's not time to leave yet...we were out on the boat last Friday for the majority of the day.

I have an 8" auger and agree with the others, your child will step in the hole if it's larger than 6".

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2016, 10:55 AM »
My son has been going with me since he was 4.
Now he is 17 and he likes to quiz me about the bite before he commits! ;D
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.