Author Topic: Ice Armor,Artic Armor or Frabill Suits  (Read 11920 times)

ICE REBEL

Ice Armor,Artic Armor or Frabill Suits
« on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Who got what? I just got a Ice Armor extreme suit. I can't wait to use it.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: Ice Armor,Artic Armor or Frabill Suits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Dude! I thought you got the Arctic Armor because of the floatation safety feature???

I'm on my second season with my yellow and green Arctic Armor suit, still in love with it... and I wore it today!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

ICE REBEL

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Well i really looked into the Artic Armor suits and they don't seem to breath to good as the Ice Armor suits do.

Offline peacefishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I picked up an Ice Armor Extreme and used it in some nasty wind and sleet yesterday.  It is an awesome suit.  I can't say enough good things especially with the water proof, water just beads off; unless it rains, and even then your inlayer is still toasty and dry.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:12 PM »
That's because they're holding their breath to keep you afloat when you go through the ice.

I've never had breathing or condensate issues with my AA suit, but it may be because I got the AA plus suit with the tricot lining.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

ICE REBEL

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:17 PM »
I sweat like a pig so i got to have something that breaths.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Which is the best overall for northern NY i fish from melting temps to about 10 below at the coldest. Whicch would you suggest?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Arctic Armor will help save your life with the closed cell buoyant insulation if you should happen to go through the ice or fall into frigid water... ice armor and Frabill suits will absorb water and act like anchors, which one would you rather be wearing?

There's enough floatation material in an Arctic Armor suit to float 3 adults!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Iv been runing a blue ice armor suit for about 10 years now and like it but with all the changes they have been doing my next suit will be from strike master !
Hard Ice

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Iv been runing a blue ice armor suit for about 10 years now and like it but with all the changes they have been doing my next suit will be from strike master !

I'm sure in another year or two most of the ice suits will have the floatation like the Arctic Armor does now... it just makes good sense to be safer out on the ice!

Mark my words!

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:52 PM »
AA...its the whuuuuuuuuup!!   ;)

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:52 PM »
What about the Frabil Suit?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:55 PM »
What about the Frabil Suit?

No floatation... anchors away!!!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:57 PM »
If your not stupid about ice fishing you should never go in. That's just my thought on it. ;D Happy Fishing everyone

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:08 PM »
This video graphically shows the huge advantage of floatation over regular suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAwzPgRYOI&playnext=1&list=PLC1E2CF008328ABAB

Turn the sound on so you can hear what Dr. Griesbect has to say about drowning in frigid water.

Everyone thinks they're safe on the ice.. but too many people lose their lives every year in tragic but very preventable accidents!!!

Offline wawaseebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Carhartt's never get cold and don't have any problem with the breathing and much cheaper. If its raining or anything ill throw the duck hunting jacket on. Don't see much of a need for those fancy suits?

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Frabil ice suit here.
I have had it in 30mph snow and sleet, with sub-zero temps for hours, and stayed dry and toasty.
I think everyone gets the flotation aspect of the Arctic Armor by now G.
The fact is that millions of people wear other brands all the time without dieing.
You don't seem to be able to respect that.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:28 PM »
love my ice armor x suit have the older model with the zip out liner  :tipup:
Just enjoying life

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Frabil ice suit here.
I have had it in 30mph snow and sleet, with sub-zero temps for hours, and stayed dry and toasty.
I think everyone gets the flotation aspect of the Arctic Armor by now G.
The fact is that millions of people wear other brands all the time without dieing.
You don't seem to be able to respect that.

The thing that gets me is all the people that die while going through the ice every year, have you ever heard of anyone dying that went through the ice in an Arctic Armor suit?

Maybe you lead a sheltered life and don't realize what goes on outside of your county or state, but there's a lot of people (too many) that die falling through the ice every year!

The people that die going through the ice think they're being safe and don't have anything to worry about... until it's too late.

Can you be too safe on the ice?... or anywhere???

As you grow older, you'll realize you're not nearly as invisible as you thought you were when you were younger... it's a growing older and wiser thing don'cha yanno.

I can only wish to be young and dumb again...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:43 PM »
The thing that gets me is all the people that die while going through the ice every year, have you ever heard of anyone dying that went through the ice in an Arctic Armor suit?

Maybe you lead a sheltered life and don't realize what goes on outside of your county or state, but there's a lot of people (too many) that die falling through the ice every year!

The people that die going through the ice think they're being safe and don't have anything to worry about... until it's too late.

Can you be too safe on the ice?... or anywhere???

As you grow older, you'll realize you're not nearly as invisible as you thought you were when you were younger... it's a growing older and wiser thing don'cha yanno.

Enough of the bible thumping and insults GCD. North America is free. We can do whatever the hell we want. We get the point already. You do this in EVERY one of these threads.

Lighten up Francis....

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Enough of the bible thumping and insults GCD. North America is free. We can do whatever the hell we want. We get the point already. You do this in EVERY one of these threads.

Lighten up Francis....

Did you watch the video with the sound on?

... are you feeling guilty?

Trooper Bri

« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Did you watch the video with the sound on?

... are you feeling guilty?

No I don't feel guilty in the least, but I'm thoroughly sick of your preaching and calling people names in these threads. Who do you think you are??

Fine, we get it. You're an Arctic Armor fanboy. Now shut up for 10 minutes.

Offline Budweiser8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:48 PM »
i agree with trooper....and i wear an artic armor...everyone can do their own research and make their own decision like each of us have done...i guess i just don't understand getting all nasty about it...

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:50 PM »

Would you settle for half of that wish.
Sheltered life my azz. You have no Idea.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:57 PM »
... so no one is ever going to die from falling through the ice again???

... that's great news!!!

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home!

I'm just trying to help, I'm sorry that you guys are too short sighted to see that.

... have any of you guys seen the "ARCTIC ARMOR SAVED MY LIFE THREAD?"

Offline Budweiser8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:03 PM »
there are ways of getting your poing across that doen't have to be so belligerent..

Trooper Bri

« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:06 PM »
If you have some sort of cognative disability (Asperger's Syndrome, etc) that causes you to fixate on subjects and drill them repeatedly, I fully apologize. I work with people who have such disabilities and have training to accomodate them fully.

But I don't feel this is the case. I typically don't see insults as a driver from them. All I see is flag waving by someone who has to resort to insults to try and reinforce a point when 100% of the world doesn't see it their way. You'll need to get over that.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Yes i'm sure everyone on this forum has seen it at some time. We all under stand that you like the AA suits and that's fine you have the right to that. I started this thread to see what others have or are getting not for someone to come on here and preach to everyone. So please just post what you have or what your getting and that's it. Thanks!!!

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:12 PM »
call me frugal or cheap your choice -

but I select gear that will met my needs for multiple uses.

I am a true believer in Under Armour Cold Gear - wear it as undergarment whether fishing or hunting. Then I layer fleece over that - so if I get warm I can take it off and not sweat like a pig.

I have a Strearns Type III Coast Guard approved Life Vest that is not a burden to wear. I use when floating down a river on my pontoon boat and I can wear it IF I ever walk on questionable ice (FAT CHANCE - no fish is worth going in the drink).
I won't go on the ice if it less than 6 inches - you guys that like adventure can have the late ice season fish - I'll be fishing special reg trout  streams come March.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:15 PM »
there are ways of getting your poing across that doen't have to be so belligerent..

It seems like I'm in a heard of Mules armed with a wimpy 2x2... when I actually need a 4x4!

I think the squeaky wheels are ashamed and embarrassed... but that's ok, it's a free country and they can do as they wish... but heaven forbid someone speaking their mind on a public forum eh?... even if they're just trying to help save lives!

Have fun and be safe on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.