Author Topic: Bottom Moving on Marcum lx-3tc  (Read 1997 times)

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bottom Moving on Marcum lx-3tc
« on: Oct 31, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Last season I was having trouble with the display moving on my lx3. It was the whole display if I remember, not just the bottom. I could be wrong though. It was quite frustrating and was wondering what could be the cause. I was reading it could be the battery, but I just replaced it in the middle of the season last year. Also read it could be the transducer or the  brushes getting worn out. Wanted some idea before buying a new transducer or shipping it off to marcum. The unit is 2 years old and this is the only problem that I've had.
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Bottom Moving on Marcum lx-3tc
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2015, 02:10 PM »
sounds like its motor time.

i think its 80$ last i knew for tune-ups (any thing that need fixing in it/on it) for the analog version.

its on their web site for out of warranty info.
http://marcumtech.com/service-charge/marcum-tune-up.html
Our toll free number is 888-778-1208

yup, only 80$ don't feel bad, humminbird is 180$ for the same thing. be glad its not a bird!

"We have a flat rate repair rate that is $79.99. Whatever is wrong with your flasher, when it leaves here it will be as good as the day you bought it. Turnaround time for flasher repair is around 3-5 days.

Before going any further, make sure that your problem is not as simple as a weak battery. Normal lifespan of a battery is around 3-4 years, but for a variety of reasons they can last much longer, or fail much sooner."

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Call Versa Electronics in New Hope MN.  They service all Marcum units (Part of Marcum).  If you tell them about the age and that it was hopping last year they might do it free of charge. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2015, 02:31 PM »
nice catch dfresh! it did break under warranty. probably will need a receipt is all to prove the date of purchase.

i would also mention that their motor failures are alarming from how many complaints about them here on IS and ask if they have changed the motor supplier so you won't have that issue again.

good luck and let us know how the phone call goes.

Offline TacticalKeychains

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a guy in his garage, trying to make a living.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2015, 02:41 PM »

IF it's not under warranty, Just based on my CNC Knowledge, even if the motor bearings were going out... The encoder should still pulse at the correct time, no matter the speed. My totally UN-educated guess is that you can take it apart and there is probably an optical encoder on there that has dust on it, and can be cleaned with alcohol.  I just did this on a servo motor, because it was losing place - similar to this.  Wish I had one to tear apart.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2015, 03:32 PM »
its the motor.the whole display bottom,lure,fish will rock back and forth.i had this happen to my vx1 pro and lx3tc and   other members have had this problem with the lx5 units also.marcum will  take care of you but who knows how long before you have to send it in again for another cheap motor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.