New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109434 times)

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #570 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:02 PM »
I have never fished Otsego, but will be towards the end of February.  I was wondering if some regulars could help a brother out with successful lures/bait to target Lakers and Walleye with?  Do you use spoons? tubes? jigging raps? etc...

Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks and tight lines!

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #571 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I aswell have never fished otsego. I’m familiar with the area i just don’t have a boat to put on and it’s hasnt froze up good in a few years. My question is if I access from glimmerglass and walk out a bit what types of fish would I be looking at for tip up fishing?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #572 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:21 PM »
I aswell have never fished otsego. I’m familiar with the area i just don’t have a boat to put on and it’s hasnt froze up good in a few years. My question is if I access from glimmerglass and walk out a bit what types of fish would I be looking at for tip up fishing?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/otlkmap.pdf
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #573 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:21 PM »
If you want lakers you will walk a ways to them in deeper water. Starting at 40'. Check DEC website for topo map of lake and go from there. I drive 1+ hours to there and never have been skunked. Yes undersize but never skunked. GREAT perch to boot...........
      Kim :tipup: :icefish: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #574 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:36 AM »
How is the shoreline at 3 mile?  tks
Flag Up!!!

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #575 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:15 PM »
I used to camp at Glimmerglass SP for a week every summer when I was a kid in the late 70's up through the late 80's.

We'd ride our bikes around the lake, including a stop for breakfast in Cooperstown before returning to Glimmerglass on the west side of the lake.

Back then, there was a little tackle shop on a corner on Main Street.  Right across from the Hall of Fame.

They used to have some MASSIVE mounted Brown Trout on the wall of that place.  From Otsego Lake. 

Whatever happen to those gigantic browns?  Seems like I never hear anything about Browns and LLS in Otsego Lake any more.  Weren't Browns the go-to sportfish in that lake before the Water Chestnuts, etc arrived?

I caught a 22-inch brown in Otsego about 10 years ago in my kayak Also caught an 18-inch LLS that same day. Haven't fished it much in recent years, but been out there four times so far this year on the ice, mostly catching short lakers.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #576 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:18 PM »
How is the shoreline at 3 mile?  tks

No idea, but conditions at Glimmerglass were great yesterday. Locked up right to shore, very little water on the ice, which is probably all frozen back up now.

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #577 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Thanks
Flag Up!!!

Offline tigerking94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #578 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Hey guys I live in syracuse an have been wanting to try for lakers through the ice was if it would worth it to come down for the day an if any one could lend some tips or pointers it would be much appreciated

Offline hot_spot18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #579 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Hey guys I live in syracuse an have been wanting to try for lakers through the ice was if it would worth it to come down for the day an if any one could lend some tips or pointers it would be much appreciated

Haven't fished it in a couple years, but deeper is generally better for lakers.  Rig up with braided with a mono or flouro leader.  If you just use straight mono it will stretch on the hook set and you'll lose a lot of fish.  It's not a bad idea to switch out your hooks to gamakatsu some other brand of very sharp strong hooks.  Lakers will often let you get them to the hole and then take a deep long run.  I usually stick my rod tip in the hole when this happens to prevent them braking me off on the sharp edges of the hole. hope this helps! best of luck!

Offline tigerking94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #580 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for the info hot_spot 18 my plan is to go out of glimmerglass an stay between 20 to 40 fow an go for perch an maybe some lakers I would like to hear some opions of this plan

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #581 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:56 AM »
The area right off Glimmerglass has been absolutely hammered so far this year. The DEC cop I ran into Sunday said there were about 100 people in that area on Saturday and there were at least 50 there when I was there Sunday. I am sure there have been literally thousands of tipups set out in the last month within a half mile or so from the beach. I would suggest getting as far away from the beach at Glimmerglass as possible. It's really shallow for a few hundred yards off the beach anyway.

Offline tigerking94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #582 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Thanks kayak2fish is there maybe a different launch site u could recommend I try?

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #583 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:36 PM »
9" of ice off 3-mile. Easy walk. Smallies on fire today. Only problem, afternoon snow started at 8 am.
Flag Up!!!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #584 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:41 AM »
We did very well off 3 mile in about 100 fow fishing right off the bottom.  This is going back 15-20 yrs ago or so when 10-15lb lakers were common.  Now I wouldn't even waste my time with the lake...
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #585 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:27 AM »
We did very well off 3 mile in about 100 fow fishing right off the bottom.  This is going back 15-20 yrs ago or so when 10-15lb lakers were common.  Now I wouldn't even waste my time with the lake...
i Agree we hammered the big ones years ago, I wouldn't waste my time driving there now better places out there

Offline tigerking94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #586 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Was able to get out at 3 mile only had a few hrs to fish no luck wondering maybe my tip up set is wrong for the lake any tips much appreciated

Offline Tommy_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #587 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Was out on 3 mile on Sunday 2/4 from 9am-2pm. Slow day! Wind was wicked but the Frabill held up alright. Anyone else have luck? Marked nothing in 40 FOW.

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #588 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I was out north of 3 mile (private access) Saturday 8-3. Was on about 10" of good clear ice. Was marking fish in 45 FOW all day. Had a few flags (45-55 FOW), lost what I think was an eye (fought like a wet sock) at the hole on one tipup. Hooked into a bunch jigging, mostly smaller ones. But landing a laker solo on a 38" rod inside a 1 man flip over through a 6" hole is quite the tricky rodeo. Did manage to put this 24" on the ice tho.

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #589 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Fishing Sunday too, defiantly shanty weather. No flags and nothing on the jig stick. We marked a bunch but we were not offering what they were looking for.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #590 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:41 PM »
We caught a couple of Smelt while jigging in 45 fow... big fatties too

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #591 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:42 PM »
We caught a couple of Smelt while jigging in 45 fow... big fatties too

That is an awesome sign. Hopefully she’ll come back around in a few years.
Pete

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #592 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Any Walleye out of Otsego??
If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it. - Henry Ford

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Can any locals point me in the right direction to the closest bait shop to Otsego?  I checked the bait shop map on shanty but it didnt show any near the lake at all.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #594 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Kelly's deli at 20 & 80 has live bait. The bait shop in Schoharie is on the way.
Flag Up!!!

Offline Tommy_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #595 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Kelly's hasn't had suckers in a few weeks it seems. Shiners and fatheads, and worms and spikes if interested.

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #596 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:05 PM »
"Off the Beaten Path" bait shop in Central Bridge always has good bait.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #597 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:33 PM »
There's one in Oneonta NY. Sportsman Adventure. Has about everything you'll need.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #598 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:07 PM »
FLAAAAAGGGG,
Your best bet would be Off the Beaten Path. From Schenectady take I-88 to Schoharie exit. Take right and quick left. Follow road approx. 1 mile and take right at gas station. About another 1.5 miles you  will see white building on right with red truck in driveway. Bait tanks around back but go through front door to see if Jeff is there. Has beard. Very nice guy. If not walk around back to these big tanks. Get your bait and receipt. Continue on that road to Rt 20 at another gas station and take left. Head to Otsego from there. Good Luck.......
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline harpoonlocke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #599 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the bait recommendations in the area. Has anybody been out off of 3 mile how are the ice and snow conditions?
Check out the blog aacfishing.blogspot.co m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.