Author Topic: tip ups after dark,,pike  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
tip ups after dark,,pike
« on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:24 AM »
 do any of you guys , target pike after dark? We do best, 7 till noon, and 3 till dusk, with lull in between. tonight , we are  going to stay past dark, in hopes of some specs. so do we keep traps in? I ask this cause of all the threads for lights for traps lately. For me, it seems that gills shut down at dark, do pike ? thanks

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip ups after dark,,pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I personally haven't had much luck after dark for Pike. A lot of times we will redo our tip-ups to more of a Walleye set up, because they will inhabit the spots once the Pike have shut down. Tip-up fishing after dark can be a lot of fun if you get into the Walleye bite.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Pike after dark has always been a complete waste of time for me. That's burbot and walleye time for me and the pike have never hit my baits for them.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:45 PM »
At the crack of first light in the water I have caught pike but on the other end of the day no luck! :nono:

WS

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Walleyes and burbot own the night. Crappies at dusk for an hour or 2.  Pike not. :tipup:

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:51 AM »
 yeah, kind of my take too, I have also just learned, that pike are supposed to have the worst eyesight , although I don't know which fish is talking!  thanks for responses, tight lines yall, be safe, Mike

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Pike dont have poor over all eye sight. They are sight hunters after all. Its simply a matter that their eyes are not designed to see in total darkness like a Walleye. Ling are night hunters not because of their eye sight but because of their enhanced ability to smell, like a catfish. If your going to have any chance to catch a Pike in the dark, I would enhance your presentation with something that glows. That being said, I just dont think Pike are active at night because of their diminished night vision.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:13 AM »
 Pike are best for daytime.

Offline Powow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Just got back fro the Indian Hill pike fest. We fished 24 hours a day for six days. Tried a new method of glow sticks next to the bait. Seemed to work good but have to find a different way of getting the glow sticks next to the bait. We had them tied to a string with a weight to sink them and 9 times out of 10 the tip up line would get tangled with the glow stick. Check out the mass forum for more info.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:45 PM »
 That seems like a good idea.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:51 PM »
i target pike with tip ups about twice a week and have only caught burbot and walleye after dark

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:20 PM »
 I have caught perch and walleye towards dark.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:14 AM »
Just got back fro the Indian Hill pike fest. We fished 24 hours a day for six days. Tried a new method of glow sticks next to the bait. Seemed to work good but have to find a different way of getting the glow sticks next to the bait. We had them tied to a string with a weight to sink them and 9 times out of 10 the tip up line would get tangled with the glow stick. Check out the mass forum for more info.

what about a huge glowing trout dodger on the line? i think that would be about as good.

how was your bite ratio between day and night?

great thinking on the glow sticks by the way. :clap: :clap: :clap:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:51 AM »
never had any luck after dark for pike sun rise a sun set the best for me   
what is and what should never be

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Pike will rarely bite at night,i have caught them at all other times of the day,from dawn till dusk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.