Author Topic: Lake Louise Reports  (Read 15103 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Louise Reports
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:53 AM »
I wish the troopers or fish and game would get involved (fat chance right?).  If they maybe put up some signs and warnings that people with trucks would get tickets, perhaps these headaches would stop.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Usually what they tell me is that they cannot afford one of those expensive snowmachines.
Well how are you going to afford to pay for the towing and recovery of your truck plus the damages if your stuck in overflow or go through?
My buddy, his adult son and a friend just got stuck a week ago driving to one of my fishing spots on a local peninsula lake.
After digging his truck out for an hour his son just asked his dad if next time they wait until I'm available so we can use my snowmachines.
Smart move and I'm happy to oblige!
But the bigger the lake often means the bigger the risk.
And too many lakes have had vehicles in them.
Don't get me started on trail damage or general rutting up of the lake making it a pain to hit while snowmachine riding across the lake.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:27 PM »
I know I'm beating a dead horse here.  I'm sure we've all heard the complaints before, but for the sake of maybe some people that don't know what's going on at LL (Lake Louise), I am going to clarify the issue.  Bottom line is, people shouldn't be driving their highway vehicles on LL.  If people really want to drive their trucks out on the ice there are other places that are more suitable for truck traffic.  Big lake has an extensive road system that is created specifically for highway vehicles every year.  Finger lake is often suitable for highway vehicle traffic.  Long lake on the Glenn Highway can often be driven on.  Lake Louise, Susitna Lake and all of the other big lakes in that area have groomed trails specifically designed for snowmachine traffic.  When people drive their trucks on those trails they create ruts and ruin those trails.  It cost a lot of money to maintain those trails, not to mention the fact that most people on the lakes rely heavily on those trails to access their cabins, access other trails, and haul supplies to their cabins etc.  Please don't be an idiot and ruin the trails for other people.  If you want to drive your truck or car out on the ice, please stick to the lakes in the valley with highway vehicle access.  Thanks

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Sounds like overflow is getting pretty bad with all the recent snow.  This is the latest report from the Wolfpack's (Lake Louise Snowmachine Club) Website.  Posted today, February 20th

Trail Conditions Reporting:

General information:
Since my last report on Feb. 12th we were only able to groom the Mendeltna / Bob lake trail last Friday. We extended the trail to complete the loop to Judd Lake, connecting up with the Eureka Trail.

Last weekend, once again, temperatures drop to -38 degrees preventing us from grooming anymore. Since the weekend, though, temperatures have risen to highs in the low 30's and snowed and additional 8 inches. Along with the warmer temperatures and additional snow it has been reported the overflow has once again showed up in large patches and quit deep on Lake Louise and Susitna. Be very aware if traveling off the main marked trails or you may find yourself in water over the top of your boots!

The National Weather Service forecasts the temperatures to stay mild through the weekend and cool down to more normal temperatures by Saturday. Chances of more snow are forecast as well.

The groomed trails are holding up well and we will be getting out and grooming the new snow as soon as we can this week and next week.

As a Reminder . . . . Whenever you go riding leave someone a travel plan. It may save your life!

Snow report:
10-12" of New Snow

Ice conditions:

Ice is about 24" thick.

Comments:
Travel in pairs is advisable.  Stay away from the channels.

All remaining wolfpack clothing can be purchased at the Point Lodge at a reduced price.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2020, 01:32 AM »
I found a bunch of overflow last trip up and I imagine its going to get worse with the warming temps and more snow.   I was running into it at neg 40, so i don't think its going to get much better unless you run through it a few times.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:24 AM »
I hereby pass the “complain about the the idiots on Louise torch “ to Bushwackjack.  May he always fight the good fight and make his opinion heard.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Any Russians up there netting under the ice this year?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:54 PM »
No netting but I did stop to help out a broke down snow machine that turned out to be a Russian guy and his poor son.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2020, 10:38 PM »
and his poor son.

And I heard a funny story that his son was freezing to death.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Just got back from fishing and snowmachining around the Lake Louise area.  Lots of deep snow and overflow underneath.  It was very difficult travel.  And slush and overflow made a mess of everything.  Be careful out there if you go.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Yeah no joke on that overflow.  It’s the over your boots kind of crap to so I will be staying on packed trails the rest of the season.  No fish is worth getting stuck in that crap.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2020, 03:43 PM »
pin it to win it!
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:00 PM »
When does everyone start pulling their shacks off the lake? As of a week and a half ago, mine was surrounded by overflow. I couldn't have pulled it out if I wanted to.

We are tentatively planning for April 24th or so. There was still a lot of ice and it doesn't seem like its been getting very warm in the area, so I think we will be ok...
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Already pulled mine.  I’ve been packing down trails all season cause I knew the overflow would be a problem.  I wouldn’t wait to long, once evening temps stay above freezing the trails will turn to mush and you’ll likely need a boat motor to move it.  There is going to be a lot of water on the ice this year so be careful holes will open up out of nowhere.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Yeah, I normally pull it in late March but there was no chance we were going to be able to with the overflow situation around us. I am currently working out of town for a couple of weeks. My idea situation would be to hit it just right where I could get my truck out there and pull it. My shack is extremely heavy (lessons were learned with this build).

Do you know of anyone out there in the area with a SnoCat or tracked rig who would be willing to pull a shack for a price?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Apr 06, 2020, 01:13 AM »
I would pm jiggenfrogs he might be able to help.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Apr 07, 2020, 11:15 PM »
Oh dear...jiggin frogs

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:26 PM »
I would pm jiggenfrogs he might be able to help.

I appreciate the reply.

Jiggen has helped with me other stuff in the past, but I after giving it some thought I don't think I am going to hassle anyone about pulling it off the lake if my snowmachine can't.

I think I have decided that if we cant move it out due to overflow I am prepared to just deconstruct it out there on the lake and reuse most of the material on another shack/projects around the property. That was the plan with this shack anyways now that I have a cabin on my property out there. I am going to build a smaller 8x10' that is more of just an insulated shell I can tow around and fish out of easier.

Thanks again!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Apr 11, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I was just up there for three weeks and conditions should be good for a while.  Your not that far from the main trail so you should have no problem getting it off without taking it apart.  Nights have still been cold enough to freeze up the over flow if you run through it during the day and let it freeze at night.  Im going to pull mine next week after I widen my trail and groom it.  I use to pull my shack the end of April every year until the parking lot decided to turn to dirt so early the last few years.  look me up if your up there.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2020, 06:34 PM »
You guys done fishing up there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.