Author Topic: Inline swivel leader to main line  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
Inline swivel leader to main line
« on: Nov 25, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Hey hey hey! I would use an inline swivel more often if I could use a longer leader. I'm fishing lakers in clear water. A 6 to 10ft leader is pretty standard but with a swivel you need to reel the swivel onto the reel. Even with a micro swivel they can get jammed on the line roller. Any one deal with this? Perhaps I should put the swivel directly on the lure. Tube jigs seem to twist line the worst. The last couple of years I've just been tying a blood knot without a swivel and dealing with the twists. Cheers!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Inline swivel leader to main line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Swivel at the end of your leader... Not sure how you're attaching your lures. Snap, split ring, tie direct. Maybe a small swivel in your leader that you can't reel up. Ball bearings are best but SPRO Power swivels are a very close second; Small, smooth and strong.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:46 PM »
Mainline to micro swivel to leader. Been doing this for years. Works great for line twist.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:54 PM »
Mainline to micro swivel to leader. Been doing this for years. Works great for line twist.

Except he's running a 6 - 10 foot leader and doesn't/can't want to reel it through the guides...

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2022, 06:16 AM »
Swivel to attach leader to main line or swivel to stop spin? I quit using a swivel and went with knots to attach flouri to braid.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2022, 07:13 AM »
I have set ups with longer leaders , I reel the swivel right on to the spool no issues
 My soft water bucktail  jig rods I just use a double uni

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2022, 08:38 AM »
I use the crazy Alberto knot for open water and ice fishing.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2022, 09:11 AM »
If you have a long leader, why not just put a swivel at the end.  Then if need be, put a short leader from that swivel.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2022, 09:19 AM »
I have set ups with longer leaders , I reel the swivel right on to the spool no issues
 My soft water bucktail  jig rods I just use a double uni

Some can and some can't. His swivel is getting jammed in the (presumably bail) roller and was seeking a solution.

I use the crazy Alberto knot for open water and ice fishing.

Again good for you... See the OP's remark regarding that:

Tube jigs seem to twist line the worst. The last couple of years I've just been tying a blood knot without a swivel and dealing with the twists. Cheers!

His knot is fine. Looking for a solution to keep the swivel. Slipperybob is on the track...

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Braid to flouro. with a uni to uni knot. 10 turns of braid, 6 turns of flouro. Wet the knot and tighten the knot in stages. You don't want to crank it tight and then pull it together, that will weaken the knot. 6-10 foot leader, inline swivel, tippet leader to snap or lure. Use a short enough tippet to be able to stow your rig when moving or packing up. For a ball bearing swivel the Sampo 3401-1A is without peer. The Spro #8 or #10 Power Swivels are a very good choice if stealth trumps line twist prevention.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Been running braid/swivel/ floor leader for 5 years now ice fishing.  I fish crystal clear lakes in CO and Wyoming
Never use more than a 2' leader  ever.   why so long?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2022, 09:55 PM »
I used to run a long leader, but figuring that since most of the time I'm fishing in no more than 30 ft depth, I decided to just put enough line to basically cover that depth.  What's another 10-15 feet of more line on.  I have a snap and swivel like 99% of the time.  If I needed a leader of usually stronger material I will then do so of usually 1-2 feet.  As sometimes I am panfishing and will drop down to a weaker tippet for those finicky fish.  However that's really rare.

The line roller on spinning reels differ from manufactures.  So as it goes that even my slip bobber knot sometimes is wedged into the little space of the line roller.  Thus if I get a reel with a large wide open space for the line roller, problem solved.  It does mean that (on my open water rod rigs) I have to pay more attention to the line management on the spool since the wide open space on the line roller does allow for more slack line.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2022, 02:17 PM »
VN, That's likely the best work around but for fishing inside I'm using shorter rods.

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2022, 02:25 PM »
The line twist seems the worst with tube jigs.  They make spiraling circle on the drop. I'll try adding a small swivel directly on the jig head by opening up the eye. A whole snap swivel seems excessive but maybe that would work too.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2022, 03:11 PM »
The last couple of years I've just been tying a blood knot without a swivel and dealing with the twists. Cheers!

It's a tough problem to solve b/c of your leader length and laker depth...

Some ideas to try:
- Too small of a reel or poor line lay??
- Bad roller bearing (once they rust up, they don't spin which will add to twist)
- Try different braid or superline - some braid seems to twist up worse than others
- Try shorter leader w/ higher grade fluoro (something like seaguar gold might be able to drop 1 size & not lose any bites despite shorter leader)
- Try shorter leader (5') vs. 10' and see if catch rate drops

Good luck!   :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.