Author Topic: DeWalt drill question  (Read 800 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
DeWalt drill question
« on: Nov 26, 2022, 07:53 PM »
Currently have a Dewalt XR hammer drill. I have a few flexvolt 9ah batteries. Is there a considerable difference between the flexvolt hammer drill and the XR when it comes to drill through ice?

I have a 8” lite-flite.

This is my first year using a drill on the ice so I have no comparison.

Thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: DeWalt drill question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:44 AM »
Depending on the model ...if it is the DCD805 it should have around 800 in/lbs of torque . Some 900 series have higher torque than the 800 series...  and can achieve extra torque with Flex batteries and/or higher amp hour battery...  the 998 and 999 are the models but the 991 and 996 models are great drills as well . My buddies DCD996 with a 9ah Flexvolt/Clam Plate/ 8"Eskimo Pistol Bit  is a great set up . You may be fine if the drill specifications are 800 in/lbs. But keep in mind that the 800 XR models are new and have not been battel tested . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2022, 08:12 AM »
The 991, 996, 998 and 999 all have the same specs when it comes to drilling.  Difference is the 996, 998 and 999 have the hammer drill option which you might want to avoid just in case you accidentally have it on hammer mode, possibly damaging auger blades.  The 998 and 999 can achieve slightly more power ONLY IF used with a 8 amp flex volt battery or higher.  Definitely not needed with any auger type.  All excellent drills.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:11 AM »
Thanks guys that’s good to know.

I will check which drill it is and go from there. I though only flexvolt tools get a boost from flexvolt batteries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.