Author Topic: World Record.  (Read 23680 times)

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
World Record.
« on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Hello all you fellow fishers. I'm planning on going for the world record for burbot. I heard the biggest was in Alaska at 24 plus lbs. I think I can come close to beating that. Not a sought after fish compared to others. Does anyone know what I have to do with the fish after I catch it? Where do I have to submit it too? Can I freeze it? Thanks.

Seems like a great site. I've been doing some browsing.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: World Record.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Good luck in your Quest icechip.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:47 AM »
I would assume that you take the fish to your local fish and wildlife office for confirmation.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2004, 12:57 PM »
Icechip,get it weighed on a certified scales,meat market ect.,and have 3 witnesses. Take pics of fish  . contact your fish and wildlife agency. Thats all there is to it.  Ron
Bobberstop

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love to be out doors!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2005, 11:42 PM »
Icechip If you do catch the monster your looking for I would love to see some picks. I'm not so sure it's as easy as saying (I'm going to catch the world record for burbot)
Please, , Please, , Please, , prove me rong!
Whiskey
We live to fish!

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2005, 08:37 AM »
I go to a lake where 15-20lb ling are common (my lips are sealed, very tight). No one fishes for them in this lake, so I feel I can come close to 24 lbs. I have saw old pics of an old friend in his younger day holding up some nice fat and long ling. I have caught 17 lb ling and these fish looked huge compared to the 17lber. I know it will be hard but they really are not that sought after. I think their true size potential has not been realized. I just think this lake will produce. Now if the weather co-operates I will be able to fish there. Maybe I'm dreaming, time will tell. If I catch, I will try and post.

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I Have not seen any that big yet. I hope some double digit monsters this year. The burbot in these picks, , , is 10lbs even. (New digital fish scale)

[/img]
Whiskey
We live to fish!

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 11:57 PM »
No offense whiskey but we throw back those little ones. Only keep 15lbs and bigger in the lake I fish. Usually come home with limit of 5 here in BC. I have fished that spot you are fishing, at least I think I have. I used to fish it before there were so many lots there. If I'm right I think your close to about lot 75. I don't want to mention the lake but its west of PG. I saw your pics also on BC site. Rumour has it that there was once a 33 lb burbot caught close to there in the late 70's. But you know how rumours double over time. Probably caught when you were cuddled up in your mommas arms or still in diapers.

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:08 PM »
No offense taken.I actually didn't catch any fish this past weekend. My good friends wanted a picture of all of us together. The little guy I'm holding was the first one out of the hole and I think we were excited and pulled it up to fast, , , his stomach was popping out of his mouth. We normally through tham back until they reach a worthy size. I didn't want to hold the little guy because of the comments I'll receive, , , , I've got thick skin so bring them on :-\  :-\
Whiskey
We live to fish!

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Yeah they sure don't like the vertical rises do they. You may as well keep him. Make some little fillets. They say the little ones taste better.
Remember these words of wisedom....
Don't get too excited when pulling things out of your hole :woot: :woot: :woot:
You said it, I didn't. Good luck this year.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Well.........You guys would Just be all over me then.....If i catch a Ling over 1 pound shes a keeper lol........I love the meat:> ANd THe lake i FIsh in doesnt usualy exceed Ling size of 3 pounds:> SO anything over a pound is all good.......I have eaten A 6 pound and also found the 2-3 pound to taste better.? Maybe differnt lake differnt taste...ANyhow......It s all about WHere you live and the size the fish grows in the lake to keeping it i guess:> If i caught a Ling over 10 pounds......Well after i cleaned my pants id probably Take a Pic or 15 then release him back as he would be tuff meat im sure:> LOL just kidding guys hed be in my belly before long.....I live in ontario and i havent even seen a real one over 6-7 pounds:> ANyhoot tight lines Bye!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2005, 10:41 PM »
Mr Germ. You are finally coming out of your Ontario cubby hole. Nice to hear from you again. Welcome back. Stick around and you may get to see what a real burbot looks like. I'm with ya on the smaller ones tasteing better. I like the 5-7lbers for eating when compared to the 10 plus lbers. Around here the 1-4lbers are babys. I have ate some that size and find little difference in the 5-7lb range. The 10 lbers do start to get a little tougher.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:55 AM »
  Man, I tell ya what guys, I just caught a beauty of a 'pout.  Out crappie fishing, got a hit, set the hook, and man, I was in for a fight.  After a little fight, I got her outta the hole, and man, was she a beaut!  I don't have a digital, so I figured I'd just show ya how big it was on this post.

<((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((<

No joking, it was 5 1/2 inches.  'Bout as skinny as what's on the screen, too.  Smallest 'pout I've ever seen.  I thought I hooked a weed or something.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2005, 01:17 PM »
hey Germ if you ever want to head my way (Pembroke/Petawawa) I can hook you up with some bigger ling. On saturday I got 11 in 2 hours smallest was 19 inches and the biggest was this 26 incher (which was not allowed in the tourney because my card was distorted from a previous fish).

Lost a few bigger ones as well. We also got 15 walleye around 16 inches ( too small to keep because of slot) and on 19 3/4 that was a keeper. Let me know
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:23 AM »
  Man, I tell ya what guys, I just caught a beauty of a 'pout.  Out crappie fishing, got a hit, set the hook, and man, I was in for a fight.  After a little fight, I got her outta the hole, and man, was she a beaut!  I don't have a digital, so I figured I'd just show ya how big it was on this post.

<((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((<

No joking, it was 5 1/2 inches.  'Bout as skinny as what's on the screen, too.  Smallest 'pout I've ever seen.  I thought I hooked a weed or something.
Mr Germ would eat it I'm sure.
Heh swampthing: You will have to catch in the 36inch range to win anything in that category ;)2.

Mackinaw

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Hey Germ, are you sure that thing wasn't a Goby?  They supposedly invaded Simcoe.  I talked to a guy that lives on Willow and he was telling me he saw some in shallow water, but could catch one to positively ID it.   I really hope these Goby's don't become established.

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2005, 05:00 PM »
I figured that terry but can't post what i haven't caught yet. lol Maybe this weekend.
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Good luck.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:53 AM »

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Heres the world record.

http://www.flinflon.net/flinflon/fffes/world_record.html
Man, that burbot is huge.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of the critters, that'd be a blast to catch!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

grumpymoe

« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Man, that burbot is huge.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of the critters, that'd be a blast to catch!!
...all you'd have to do is eat your first burbot.....then there would be no stopping you....Grump

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:26 AM »
What the heck is the difference between Alaskan State Record and Flinflon world record burbot? (Other than 2 lbs 4 oz)
Was Flinflon a record caught on rod and reel and Alaska not? Is Alaska part of the world? Or is it a different classification? Just curious.
http://www.alaska.com/activities/fish/species/story/4850644p-4787334c.html

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Huh.  That's weird

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Interesting, don't know why that one isn't recognized as the world record. There was probably some sort of legalities behind it and could only be recognized as a state record.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:54 PM »
I think people just go flapping thier mouths that they caught a world record just because they have never seen bigger

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:28 PM »
I think the burbot is such an under rated fish. I know the natives north of here talk of 48 inch burbot but have no interest in a world record, they just eat them. I think a world record could be attained with some work? Especially here in BC.

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:19 PM »
those are some sweet pictures, , , , can't wait until I get tasty burbot.
We live to fish!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2006, 10:14 PM »
We have some good ones in sask as well.  Caught this little piggy today. Was around 26 or 27 inches  wouldnt sit still for the picture. First ling of the ice season the big ones will be coming.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2006, 12:17 AM »
What do those things eat Brian?  Volkswagons? :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Definately looks like a prarie burbot. Short and fat.
Not like western (BC or Alaskan) burbot Long and lean :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.