Author Topic: Daytime burbot fishing?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
Daytime burbot fishing?
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Hi, I'm taking my son out to a rented shack that has daytime burbots around....I have only caught them by accident in daytime.

whats the advice on targetting them daytime? jigs with minnows? bottom set? I pretty much have tons of ice gear, but not sure of technique.

any advice would be great. the lakes pretty shallow, not too deep where we will be, but burbs are caught in the area, in the day.

:tipup:
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Daytime burbot fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010, 03:55 PM »
If there's a main channel going into a bay area, it's a good place to intercept fish moving in between the bay and main lake.  Around Feb-March they like to come into the shallower bay to spawn.  Jigging seems to be the best way I've found.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: Daytime burbot fishing?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:51 PM »
I have found sandy points to be good areas for burbot come March.
They are milling around those areas in preparation to spawn or are in the act of spawning.

If the lake has lots of current watch for thin ice around points.

If they are in an aggressive mood active jigging can work OK, just make sure you to keep near or on bottom.
Set lines work when they are more negative.
I would try both and let them tell you what they want.

Minnows, smelt or fish parts, if legal in your area, are good bait to start with.

Don't over look scented and glow in the dark soft plastic lures and jigs.

In the lakes I fish for burbot, they eat most fish species, but they really like crayfish.
If crayfish are also in the lake you are going to ice fish a crayfish looking soft plastic near the bottom might be work for you.

If you have an underwater camera take it, it's great in reading their mood and triggering them to bite. :)

Good luck with the burbot fishing. :tipup:

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.