Author Topic: First Attempt with a spear!  (Read 1901 times)

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
First Attempt with a spear!
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Just giving all you folks out there fair warning:

Keep clear of Memory Lake saturday morning and early afternoon!  I'll be out there trying to figure out the whole pike spearing deal.  Got all the gear needed, minus ice tongs, but I will just deal with all the slush from the auger holes.  I haven't really hit memory this year, but I wanted to go to a lake that is fairly close to home to test out the gear before running out to a remote lake. 

Like I said, consider yourselves warned!    ;D

Cheers!

Jake

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: First Attempt with a spear!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Just giving all you folks out there fair warning:

Keep clear of Memory Lake saturday morning and early afternoon!  I'll be out there trying to figure out the whole pike spearing deal.  Got all the gear needed, minus ice tongs, but I will just deal with all the slush from the auger holes.  I haven't really hit memory this year, but I wanted to go to a lake that is fairly close to home to test out the gear before running out to a remote lake. 

Like I said, consider yourselves warned!    ;D

Cheers!

Jake

I am also planning on being there w/ my son.  Let me know if you need some help or advise.  I'll have my tongs w/ me if you need to use them.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for the warning AKanders, we'll keep an eye out for ya.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Awesome!  I have read quite a bit on previous post from you, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.  I will probably pick your brain on a few things.  I was also thinking of heading out there Fri. nite to drill the hole and cover with wood then snow so not so much disturbance in the morning.  Any thoughts on that?  Hopefully the wood over the hole would reduce the risk of accidentally going through.  I'm pretty excited to give it a shot.  

Hope to see you out there!

Cheers!

Jake

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:01 PM »
If anyone has any three stooges soundtracks, you should probably come out and play them while I am drilling my holes and setting up.  I could tape it and then fast-foreward it to music!!  That would be a hoot!

Cheers!

Jake

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:34 PM »
I was also thinking of heading out there Fri. nite to drill the hole and cover with wood then snow so not so much disturbance in the morning.  

There have been times that I cut my spearing hole and before I had even set my shack over the hole I could see fish swimming underneath it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to keep from spooking away less agressive fish.  It would also be nice to not have to spend that extra 10 or fifteen minutes getting the hole cut and block removed when you could be spearing, lol.  I have covered spearing holes with cardboard and snow overnight, then you only have to scrape off a skim of ice the next day.  If you decide to cut a hole Friday night, let me know and I'll meet you there with my saw and tongs.

Don't expect alot of action on Memory Lake, but I almost always see at least one pike.  And have a jigging pole ready as I have seen some decent landlockers and some nice rainbows there.
Last time I was there the water was kind of murky again, so take some eggshells and or white beans, and a little chum never hurts either.

If you've never seen this, Darkhouse Spearfishing Basics, you should check it out, it has alot of good information on spearing.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:54 AM »
Well the results are in, and I had a great time!!  Didn't get to bring the hammer down on a pike, but I got to throw the spear at one, and saw another 4 on the day!  Plus a bunch of salmon and what looked like a trout on steriods.  I was a bit deep, I'd say.  In about 10 FOW, and I think I would have been better off in a bit from that like 7 maybe even six.  The distortion of the H2o kinda plays tricks with you every once in a while....  Decoy didn't seem to get a whole lot of attention, but flashy spoons and flashers did bring in a fish or two.  And white lima beans were a good last minute buy, although I used them sparingly. 

Had a ton of fun, and I'll be adding spearing to the list of addictions I have that involve cold, slimy, wet things!

Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers!

Jake

Offline berto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Hey AKAnders, I sent you a PM.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.