Author Topic: Newton / Jasper County  (Read 759 times)

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Newton / Jasper County
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Hey guys, I figured I would post this before everyone leaves for the year. If you get a chance check out www.friendsoftheiroquo isriver.com   We are a non-profit that is dedicated to the improvement and preservation of the Iroquois river. We are currently looking for new members. The site says our meetings are the first Thursday of every month but we have put things on hold until spring. Our first meeting of the year will be posted on the site. If any of you guys or anyone you know is interested just let me know. Thanks, Nick
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Newton / Jasper County
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:00 PM »
I'd be pizzed if I seen you guys hauling my favorite lay downs out of the river lol. Will check out the site more when I get to a computer

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:02 PM »
  We don't haul many laydowns out. We move most of them to the edges of the river and cable them to live trees so they are still providing plenty of habitat for fish and wildlife.
  The iroquois is a small river that becomes blocked by jams very easily and there are plenty of people who would like to see this river clear cut and channelized. We are working very hard to prevent this.

Offline Mr.B

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I'd just like to get more than one mile north of the fairgrounds in a boat.  I have never been able to get from NC fair ramp to the SR 41 bridge on any trip I have taken there.  It's fun to fish when you can get where you need to go.
Everyone should believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:24 AM »
Great site Nick, looks like you guys are doing an awesome job of carefully caring for the river and improving it for others. I applaud you and the group. I've always wanted to fish the Iroquois but spend most of my time on the Kankakee. Keep up the good work and if you do a clean up project day let me know and I'll try to make it and help others join in. Your group reminds me of our "Friends of Fishing" group, groups like this are doing a lot of good.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Mr. B, I have we have not been on the river since late last fall because we have the boats winterized. On our last trip out the river was passable from state line all the way up stream of state road 55. Like I said though that was last fall and due to storms and rising and falling water levels this can always change. In the coming months we will get the boats out and get back on it.  There is a HUGE jam about 1 1/2 to 2 miles upstream of 55 that is way to large for our group to handle. The Iroquois River Conservancy is currently trying to get funding to have it removed. Also there are ongoing plans for a new boat launch just downstream of I-65.

Offline Mr.B

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2012, 02:56 PM »
It's been a couple years since I've been the river by boat.  I look forward to trying again when I can get a weekend scheduled with the in-laws in kentland.  Thanks for the work your doing there.
Everyone should believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.