Author Topic: I think I'm done  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I think I'm done
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:00 AM »
You have got to be kidding me!  Heck, alot of us do it all the time and just not for icefishing......open water as well.  How many guys on here have made the trip to Saginaw Bay or Erie just for a day or two?  

Ah, I have made that run twice this winter and will be headed up there Friday for 3 days.......again!!  15" of ice and eyes moving in!  I'm there!  Yes, I know I have issues! lol

"NOTHING IS OVER TILL WE SAYS ITS OVER! DID WE GIVE UP WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?"

Steuben1

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:20 AM »

Ah, I have made that run twice this winter and will be headed up there Friday for 3 days.......again!!  15" of ice and eyes moving in!  I'm there!  Yes, I know I have issues! lol

"NOTHING IS OVER TILL WE SAYS ITS OVER! DID WE GIVE UP WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?"

Steuben1

Good Luck!!!!!!   Tried to get on Erie Ice this year and it never worked out. Seven trips open water fishing last year netted 6 limits and one shy the one day we were blown off.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:40 AM »
You have got to be kidding me!  Heck, alot of us do it all the time and just not for icefishing......open water as well.  How many guys on here have made the trip to Saginaw Bay or Erie just for a day or two?  I know I have.  Indy to Houghton?  Seems short to me.....I know a certain guy that thinks its crazy to drive from Syracuse to Warsaw!!!!! ::)   And I will post pics for the both of us.

X2. I make weekend trips up to the bay several times a year. Been on the ice twice up there this year.  Just waiting on the word that the fish are moving in and I'll be back up there.  I'm south of Indy and I can make it in 5hrs.  Worth it in my book.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:46 AM »
Germans? Pearl harbor?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:57 AM »
Yea!  German walleyes off the coast of Hawaii!!!!!!!.....I think he was poking fun at himself....his walleye sickness!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Germans? Pearl harbor?

Derslayer1, you missed one of the best movie lines of all time!!  Remember Bluto at the Delta House when he gave his motivational speech in Animal House?  lmao!

Steuben1

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:36 PM »
As long as the gear is on stand by!!!!!!!!! ;)
Its all still in the slea right aat the opening to the garage door. (cant get the truck in but need to keep the gear ready!  ;)
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:41 PM »
You guys make me laugh :woot:
I've been known as the road trip maniac for a season or two.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:04 PM »
There was a day when people(for what ever reason?) thought I didnt travel.  I met the Pimple in my backyard.  The next day I was in his!!!!!!!!!  This boy travels.  Blue, there are a lot of good fisheries in this county we call home.  I was fishing them before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eye!!!!!!!  Evidently, you dont travel...........but that's cool.  But dont knock on those of us that "move around".   If you want me to name the guys that I have fished with from this site......I will..........It will be a Who's Who list of the ice fishing community.....I make the time and make the effort.  Shall I continue?  I wont tell you what waters I have walked,..but it is alot.  Still think about the friends that I have met via this site and others.  I wouldn't trade them for anything.  They are my "ice buddies".  Travis, it really wouldnt hurt to try it sometime.......So before you call someone crazy for driving to ice fish,  talking about tourney results, or use your powers to delete a post of a fellow FM......take a deep breath........'cause we are all on the same team...........FISH ON!!!!!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:10 PM »
With gas prices nearing 3.50 a gallon again, traveling 350+ miles one way to Houghten lake would not be near the top on my list of things to do.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't justify dropping 150.00+ in gas money + hotel to catch the same fish that are here locally.  I guess if you have that kind of disposable income, then it is an option.  Sag bay or Erie are another story as you have the chance at a fish of a lifetime.  Houghten..not so much.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I travel around the area more than you know Rico.  You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Offline PLake Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I am leaving next Tuesday for 5 days fishing on Little Bay de Noc along with 7 other guys from Steuben County. There are lots of us ice nutz.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:46 PM »
There was a day when people(for what ever reason?) thought I didnt travel.  I met the Pimple in my backyard.  The next day I was in his!!!!!!!!!  This boy travels.  Blue, there are a lot of good fisheries in this county we call home.  I was fishing them before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eye!!!!!!!  Evidently, you dont travel...........but that's cool.  But dont knock on those of us that "move around".   If you want me to name the guys that I have fished with from this site......I will..........It will be a Who's Who list of the ice fishing community.....I make the time and make the effort.  Shall I continue?  I wont tell you what waters I have walked,..but it is alot.  Still think about the friends that I have met via this site and others.  I wouldn't trade them for anything.  They are my "ice buddies".  Travis, it really wouldnt hurt to try it sometime.......So before you call someone crazy for driving to ice fish,  talking about tourney results, or use your powers to delete a post of a fellow FM......take a deep breath........'cause we are all on the same team...........FISH ON!!!!!!!!

I think you two should go ice fishing together before the season is over.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Houghton Lake today, 2/23/2011.  Looks like three, maybe four vehicles out there.

I have a PASSION for ICE fishing, and the resources to travel to get on the ice.  Not bragging, just stating fact.  Because of that PASSION, I'll drive five hours for good ice.  Yep, that's "doing my thing". 

-Jeff

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Hey Jeff. you going to drive that far ,when gas is $5.00/gal. Guy on Fox News .Says gas will be $5.00/gal and oil will be $200/ barrell. Guess I will fish in the pond most of the time. $75 to $80.to fill a tank. one tank trip not possible any more. Can't keep that many fish.To help pay for trip.When the oil companies have all the $$$$$, what can you do?Hate to sit at home,but I 'm not going to give them any more then I have to.Think I'm done fishing public waters. One guy can't make a difference,but I'm going to try.roflmao.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Have it your way. Glad you are able to go chasing. Wish I could. I to love to icefish, but have to keep it real. With very little work have to try to save those pennies. I will be getting my boat out, in local waters just as soon as all this ice melts. Common spring.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Have it your way. Glad you are able to go chasing. Wish I could. I to love to icefish, but have to keep it real. With very little work have to try to save those pennies. I will be getting my boat out, in local waters just as soon as all this ice melts. Common spring.

BTW, most of the time I have room in the Suburban and would welcome the company.  Expenses for me are the same if I go alone or take someone.  Fuel, motel, meals, bait.  LOL

Anyway, my point has always been to each his own.  For those who don't, won't, or can't travel, I respect your choices.  Just don't thrash me for mine, please.

-Jeff

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:08 AM »
To Each his own....

RESPECT !!!!!
There is Plenty Of Fish Out there For ALL Of Us....

Offline waterfowler360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:51 AM »
With gas prices nearing 3.50 a gallon again, traveling 350+ miles one way to Houghten lake would not be near the top on my list of things to do.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't justify dropping 150.00+ in gas money + hotel to catch the same fish that are here locally.  I guess if you have that kind of disposable income, then it is an option.  Sag bay or Erie are another story as you have the chance at a fish of a lifetime.  Houghten..not so much.

Wax you took the words right out of my mouth. i have a hard time driving 45 min to a lake one way anymore you do that several times a week you will be filling up allot more luckily my job is only about a 5 min drive so i can go 2 weeks or so on a tank of gas. Times are just way to hard right now and if you don't have the money to do it, you just gotta sit at home or fish areas that are closer to home. I would love to drive 3 or 4 hours somewhere and fish but it just isn't going to happen. If gas hits $5 a gallon I'm screwed!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Wax you took the words right out of my mouth. i have a hard time driving 45 min to a lake one way anymore you do that several times a week you will be filling up allot more luckily my job is only about a 5 min drive so i can go 2 weeks or so on a tank of gas. Times are just way to hard right now and if you don't have the money to do it, you just gotta sit at home or fish areas that are closer to home. I would love to drive 3 or 4 hours somewhere and fish but it just isn't going to happen. If gas hits $5 a gallon I'm screwed!

The whole gas thing sucks for sure.  I drive long distances with my boat to fish in the soft water for fish that ARE NOT available around here.  I don't drive long distance in the winter for a couple reasons.  One is the fish species I fish for thru the ice are plentiful and available right here in northern IN and southern Michigan within 30 minutes of my house.  The other reason is in the winter the roads are crap alot of the time and white knuckled driving is no fun (right Jigmup!!  LOL!).  If I were to drive 100 miles or more for ice fishing, it would have to be to have the chance at a trophy or fish with some freinds that live elsewhere.  Those that target walleye, I can see driving to erie or sag bay as we don't have that kind of eye fishery around here.  For perch, crappie and gills, there are lots of lakes around that have big panfish, if you know where to look.  For those looking to extend the ice season by a few weeks for whatever species and are willing to drive 300+ miles to do so, I say good luck and drive safe!

Offline jimmycrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live is good on the ice
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:30 PM »
heck if you can do it do it.doesnt matter if the other person likes it or not.you only live once the way i see it.so go for it .

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:15 PM »
To each his own, do what you want with what you have you only live once..............Tigh t Lines all

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Skeeter.....
Drive On !!!!
We must Enjoy it while we can,This thing called Life
Doesn't Last Forever....

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:05 PM »
HI Gang!
  I have a 4 door f-150 super crew I am always willing to car pool.  If you want to fish with me just help spit the gas.  I am always looking for a partner in the summer.  In the winter I can take 4-5 guys.  It would sure help me as I get about 11 mpg hauling the trailer with equipment and 2 sleds.  Next season hoping to get a third sled and longer lighter trailer.  Nothing I have owned hauling gets more than 11mpg so I guess If I do trip this summer It wont be alone.  For sure next winter I am going to have to pool up more riders to do as much ice fishing as I like.  Let me know guys?/  what do you think?   O-No smoking truck sorry just have problems and can't take the smoke.  sorry !
  Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.