Author Topic: I think I'm done  (Read 4467 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
I think I'm done
« on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:12 PM »
After checking a lake that had 14 inches on Sunday and was down to 6-8 inches at noon today, and the fact the wind never laid down and it is still 40 degrees outside, I think my ice season is done.  It only lasted 2 months and this is the earliest I can remember having to hang up the gear.  It was a good 2 months as I cleaned between 1000 and 1100 gills, crappies and perch from slabgill, springbobber, blueultra2 and my trips together.  Got a freezer full of fish have eaten a bunch and have given hundreds away to the delight of many.  If the ice actually leaves I will be getting the Ranger out to chase some ice out perch before they spawn.  Mid April, bass fishing will be in full swing until October, then it is back to the perch and waiting for the ice.  It's hard to believe it went so fast, but 3 or 4 days at 50 or above with sun, wind and night time temps in the mid 40's will take the ice in a hurry.   :'( :'( :'(

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I think I'm done
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Well once again I had a good season fishing with you and the crew. We had a bunch of really good days on the ice this year and one wild ride getting there.  I'm looking forward to another great year in the boat. Keep in touch!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I thought it would be a good time to meet ya out on some lake to sit and fish, a littel BS but looking at some of your last post's if we ever meet up mike Ill drive be safe look foreword to next year.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Today will b my last also -was gonna quit on thurs but got a good enough report that I just couldn't pass up- fill you in later - my bass drive just up and left - I blame it on walleye / saugeye!

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:19 AM »
I stabbed 89 in the face ony 24 hours before and went to the lake yesterday to find i lost 5+ inches in only 24 hours.  The whole lake is honeycombed and i couldnt even attempt to get on the ice even 20ft out. 

So i went poking around the Tippe for walleye.  Its a little early for the Tippe, plus the moon has them flopped over to a day bite.  Im headed up to the Kank on Sunday.

My ice season is done.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I thought it would be a good time to meet ya out on some lake to sit and fish, a littel BS but looking at some of your last post's if we ever meet up mike Ill drive be safe look foreword to next year.

LOL!!!  Come on now I have only been in one of the 3 accidents!!  Isn't that what seat belts are for?  :roflmao:

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:49 PM »
No one was on Silver or Cree,,North Snow Bay channels were bad.  Parts of Snow bad.....I'm done....Bring on the open water.

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I put everything up today,kinda bummed, the ice left too fast. Steelhead and walleye next on the agenda for me. All in all had a pretty good hardwater season. Everyone have a safe softwater season and we'll do it again soon.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:23 PM »
sad to see the ice go myself...was just out Wednesday and drilling holes in 15+ inches of ice...today that spot is open water!!!!

thank goodness most of us were able to get out before Xmas this year...that sure helped a bunch to lengthen the season!!

:wacko:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I've fished every weekend since December 11th, and only two of those weekends were single day weekends.  I will definately miss all of next weekend because I'm on call and there is nothing but open water near Indy, but plan on being on the ice on the weekend of March 5th, 12th, and 19th.  It probably won't be anyplace in Indiana, but I ain't ready to give it up yet. 

-Jeff

Offline checherdfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:42 PM »
got 2 eyes on the river B.springs 17 inchs and 20 ,its just not the same ........

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I've fished every weekend since December 11th, and only two of those weekends were single day weekends.  I will definately miss all of next weekend because I'm on call and there is nothing but open water near Indy, but plan on being on the ice on the weekend of March 5th, 12th, and 19th.  It probably won't be anyplace in Indiana, but I ain't ready to give it up yet. 

-Jeff

Good luck with that!  I talked to a friend yesterday that lives near Kalamazoo, MI and he said the places they fish up there only had 4-6" of ice left!

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:43 PM »
It sounds like the ice on Bago is going fast in WI.  Several trucks through this weekend

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:47 PM »
No luck needed.  Just common sense, favorable weather conditions, and the ability to drive far enough north.  Houghton pictures from today showed several vehicles parked on the ice.  And Houghton is 150 miles north of K-zoo.  Like comparing apples to oranges.  BTW, the place I fished this weekend is south of K-zoo and had 9" of clear ice under 3" of white ice. 

-Jeff

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:22 PM »
No luck needed.  Just common sense, favorable weather conditions, and the ability to drive far enough north.  Houghton pictures from today showed several vehicles parked on the ice.  And Houghton is 150 miles north of K-zoo.  Like comparing apples to oranges.  BTW, the place I fished this weekend is south of K-zoo and had 9" of clear ice under 3" of white ice. 

-Jeff

Or brains!!  :woot: :roflmao:  Driving from Indy to Houghton just to get a day or two of ice fishing is crazy if you ask me.  Make sure you post some pics!!

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Head North young men!  We will be hitting the hardwater into March here!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Or brains!!  :woot: :roflmao:  Driving from Indy to Houghton just to get a day or two of ice fishing is crazy if you ask me.  Make sure you post some pics!!

I don't recall asking you.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:34 AM »
plenty of ice out there on certain lakes... the forcast is showing teens at night, wich should tighten shorline ice right up plus add another couple inches! Don't give up yet wax, your quota is now 1500 before you can quit lmao! Tightlines

Btw did you find those springs we talked about? I cant get ahold of the guy that made them...

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2011, 01:23 PM »
plenty of ice out there on certain lakes... the forcast is showing teens at night, wich should tighten shorline ice right up plus add another couple inches! Don't give up yet wax, your quota is now 1500 before you can quit lmao! Tightlines

Btw did you find those springs we talked about? I cant get ahold of the guy that made them...

I might have to break the gear back out if we don't get any rain on Thursday.  I did not find the springs, but found something else that I like alot.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I might have to break the gear back out if we don't get any rain on Thursday.  I did not find the springs, but found something else that I like alot.

It's about time you found it!   :roflmao: :woot:

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:47 PM »
No luck needed.  Just common sense, favorable weather conditions, and the ability to drive far enough north.  Houghton pictures from today showed several vehicles parked on the ice.  And Houghton is 150 miles north of K-zoo.  Like comparing apples to oranges.  BTW, the place I fished this weekend is south of K-zoo and had 9" of clear ice under 3" of white ice.  

-Jeff

I was with ya buddy.....wish I was there now!!!!!!! ;D

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:01 PM »

You have got to be kidding me!  Heck, alot of us do it all the time and just not for icefishing......open water as well.  How many guys on here have made the trip to Saginaw Bay or Erie just for a day or two?  I know I have.  Indy to Houghton?  Seems short to me.....I know a certain guy that thinks its crazy to drive from Syracuse to Warsaw!!!!! ::)   And I will post pics for the both of us.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:20 PM »
You have got to be kidding me!  Heck, alot of us do it all the time and just not for icefishing......open water as well.  How many guys on here have made the trip to Saginaw Bay or Erie just for a day or two?  I know I have.  Indy to Houghton?  Seems short to me..... And I will post pics for the both of us.

Well have fun on your trip boys!  ;)2  I can't wait to see your pics!

Seems short to me.....I know a certain guy that thinks its crazy to drive from Syracuse to Warsaw!!!!! ::)   

Why would I need to drive to Warsaw when there's plenty of good lakes around here.  Is there fish in Warsaw?   :wacko: :blink:

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:20 PM »
LMMFAO.......Some things never change...............I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:31 PM »

-Jeff

Years back in the late 90's I can remember my brother and I was determined to find ice. So we headed north until we did. Ended up in Mich.. Only caught a fews gills but we found ice.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Well have fun on your trip boys!  ;)2  I can't wait to see your pics!

Why would I need to drive to Warsaw when there's plenty of good lakes around here.  Is there fish in Warsaw?   :wacko: :blink:

I thought Warsaw was around there?  I must be missing something.  I need to look at a map............I could have swore that it was close, maybe even in the same county.  You're probably right Blue.  After looking at the map, it probably would cost a whole $5 to drive to Warsaw and back from where you are.  My bad.  I apologize. 

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I thought Warsaw was around there?  I must be missing something.  I need to look at a map............I could have swore that it was close, maybe even in the same county.  You're probably right Blue.  After looking at the map, it probably would cost a whole $5 to drive to Warsaw and back from where you are.  My bad.  I apologize. 

Come on Rico....take another step back from the computer screen and it'll come into focus.  :blink:  :wacko:  I didn't ask where Warsaw was.  I asked if there were any fish there.  After seeing the results from your tourney I think I'll stay in the northern part of the county!  :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:11 PM »
It's about time you found it!   :roflmao: :woot:

oh wow blue that is funny depending on the take  :clap: :clap: ;)2 :roflmao:

Come on Rico....take another step back from the computer screen and it'll come into focus.  :blink:  :wacko:  I didn't ask where Warsaw was.  I asked if there were any fish there.  After seeing the results from your tourney I think I'll stay in the northern part of the county!  :roflmao: :icefish:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow::bow:

you are in rare form lmao this is what this sight is about buys jabbing and picking having fun

i wanna get out still got all my stuff in the truck any got any ideas am willing to drive 3 hours to meet not ready to give up lol
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:37 PM »
havnt been able to bring myself to put the gear away yet, but think its over.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:58 AM »
havnt been able to bring myself to put the gear away yet, but think its over.

As long as the gear is on stand by!!!!!!!!! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.