Author Topic: Lanterns????  (Read 14031 times)

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
Lanterns????
« on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Thinking about getting a lantern for nighttime fishing...what does everyone recommend!!! Thinking lantern since I primarily will be using it chasing crappies...not so much about heat if that was the case I would go after a "Mr. Buddy" no doubt!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline ragencage

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lanterns????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I prefer colemans but I like the gas ones over the propane canisters I think they put off more heat and plus you won't always to have a bunch of the propane bottles to mess with I'm personally tired of seeing them laying on the ice.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:43 PM »
coleman gas (dual fuel ) is a good choice...with that I don't need a heater at night (or day for that matter)...one less thing you need to lug out on the ice !
Duane

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:58 PM »
The coleman northstar very bright. tops in my book.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Coleman duel fuel. Good light, heat, and it'll run a good part of the whole day , when i turn it down a little. Never had a propane, but a couple friends have them. Seem to work ok, when you don't forget the propane canister refill...lol.  :o

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:25 PM »
not trying to hi-jack this thread but does coleman make any kind of heater that runs on their fuel? those propane cylinders can get expensive, those lanterns probably last awhile on tankful

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:47 PM »
I use a Coleman propane lantern.  Not sure of the model though.  It works good. Lights easily and it's warm and bright.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline gun 7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:05 PM »
If you only want it for light and not heat. I would look at some the battery operated with rechargable batteries. Dont have to mess with extra propane tanks or fuel,broken globe, changing a mantle at the most inopertune time. just a thought.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:55 PM »
A lot of good ideas posted!  I like the headlamp.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:40 PM »
head lamp is a must.  i use mine all the time for everything.  my shanty light is a craftsman rechargable LED shop light.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline LPiceFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:11 PM »
I like the old kerosene coleman lantern. doesn't use a ton of fuel, no tanks to deal with, and lights up as much as a propane inside the shanty. I wrap mine in a couple of dish towels stuffed in a small bucket, as i have spent a fortune on broken globes and mantles in the past.
Just joined PETA: people eating tasty animals

Offline LPiceFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Rage,
 I agree about the spent propane canisters on the ice. I've seen a rash of that this year. Almost got beat up by 4 teenagers when I yelled at them to pick up their garbage! Nothing pushes my buttons more than seeing a group walk away from a pile of junk that THEY LEFT!
Just joined PETA: people eating tasty animals

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:53 PM »
coleman 200 A is the best!

Offline Iced Pirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:07 PM »
I like the propane but they are very tall they put off just enough heat to keep your hole from freezing and enough light to tie bait or whatever with out blinding me. Just to bad they get so dang hot externally. melts 2# test in a wink LOL

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Coleman Northstar,propane,I don't want gas on my hands,I can deal with taking empty 1lb tanks off the ice.

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:19 PM »
They melt 4# just as fast !!!  lol 
Why is it that when it melts you have your favorite bait on and it sinks into the abyss and not when you can get it back???????

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:49 PM »
not trying to hi-jack this thread but does coleman make any kind of heater that runs on their fuel? those propane cylinders can get expensive, those lanterns probably last awhile on tankful

made, no longer makes.  coleman fuel catalytic heaters.  i have two.  they take a bit of time to get going, but work really well once it's warmed up.  you can find them on ebay if you search "coleman catalytic heater".  can find some pretty reasonable, some people sell them as vintage and want a bit more.  they run a long time on one tank of fuel.

here's an example of a cheap one
http://cgi.ebay.com/VITAGE-COLEMAN-5000-BTU-CATALYTIC-HEATER-/320651500301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8519b0d

and a nicer one
http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-COLEMAN-CATALYTIC-3-000-5-000-BTU-CAMPING-HEATER-/250768487153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a62f772f1

Offline icefishingpickler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:14 PM »
NORTHSTAR PROPANE ONE MANTLE TUBE LANTERN FOR ME. PROVIDES GREAT LIGHT AND HEAT.
hooked on fishing

Offline checherdfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:30 PM »
duel fuel  brother. coleman all the way!

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:24 PM »
made, no longer makes.  coleman fuel catalytic heaters.  i have two.  they take a bit of time to get going, but work really well once it's warmed up.  you can find them on ebay if you search "coleman catalytic heater".  can find some pretty reasonable, some people sell them as vintage and want a bit more.  they run a long time on one tank of fuel.

here's an example of a cheap one
http://cgi.ebay.com/VITAGE-COLEMAN-5000-BTU-CATALYTIC-HEATER-/320651500301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8519b0d

and a nicer one
http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-COLEMAN-CATALYTIC-3-000-5-000-BTU-CAMPING-HEATER-/250768487153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a62f772f1
wow, thanks, i remember those now!

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I used to use the old coleman lanterns when I fished on a lantern box. One thing I have always done to keep from blinding myself is to fashion a shade out of heavy duty kitchen foil. Doubled over and cut to fit around half of the lantern. I just wrap it around the supports so it's not touching the globe. Reflects the light away from you so you don't get that bright shot in the eyes, always worked really well. Seldom use them now due to the headlamp and battery powered led lights that I hang on a pipe cleaner wrapped around an overhead support in the shanty.
Phil

Offline Jig it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Dual fuel puts out 260 btu compared to 200 for propane and cheaper to run.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Coleman has a few different models of the Duel Fuel's.  The brightest Lantern Coleman makes is the Duel Fuel Powerhouse, they are tough to find but well worth it if you are looking for a bright/hot lantern.  I've had mine for about 10yrs and burn both lantern fuel and 87 unleaded have had no issues other than the occasional broken mantle or globe.  I also use a headlamp and LED lighting hole hopping and in the shanty at night, but the powerhouse will keep a two man shanty toasty and burns for almost 8hrs on High.

Offline Full Throttle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I have 2 of the duel fuel by coleman. Very happy with both of them. I use them more for heat than I do light.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:31 PM »
duel fuel  brother. coleman all the way!
X2
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:39 PM »
wow, thanks, i remember those now!
Yep, I got one that I haven't used for years!
KeepfishN4fun

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Coleman has a few different models of the Duel Fuel's.  The brightest Lantern Coleman makes is the Duel Fuel Powerhouse, they are tough to find but well worth it if you are looking for a bright/hot lantern.  I've had mine for about 10yrs and burn both lantern fuel and 87 unleaded have had no issues other than the occasional broken mantle or globe.  I also use a headlamp and LED lighting hole hopping and in the shanty at night, but the powerhouse will keep a two man shanty toasty and burns for almost 8hrs on High.
[/qu
ote]
 I have both the powerhouse dual fuel and the dual fuel northstar and the northstar is brighter and hotter. The northstar's that I have are the toughest lanterns that coleman has ever made. I use mine for tracking deer, mushroom and gensing hunting, ice fishing, and anything else that I might get into in the dark. Theres just something about the light from a gas lantern that no electric can duplicate.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Coleman 288 or 285 (duel fuel), in either case I recomend useing Coleman Camp Fuel, it doesn't leave a oder on your hands, or smell while buring; it also makes the generator last much longer.

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Coleman 288 or 285 (duel fuel), in either case I recomend useing Coleman Camp Fuel, it doesn't leave a oder on your hands, or smell while buring; it also makes the generator last much longer.
You got that right.  Coleman white gas costs $11.00 a gallon but does burn much cleaner.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Definitely Coleman Duel Fuel!!!  You can get 1 gallon of Coleman white gas at walmart for 8.99.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.