Author Topic: Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!  (Read 46343 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Re: 2 days' without a smoke
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2006, 12:02 AM »
I used to smoke 20 years ago gave it up cold turkey after I started hacking up all the time. Best of luck to you guys this is the only time in your life that being a quitter is a good thing. Hope u make it!!!! ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:49 AM »
I quit last year on Feb 28, but started up again on Oct 18. Now I haven't had one since Christmas night. I'm cheating though, I use Skoal Pouches to control my cravings. Now instead of $40 I only spend $10 to $15, and trade in my tins to the bait store. Ten years ago I went to the doctor and got a perscription for the Patch and failed miserably.I had always been a pack a day smoker, but by the second week I started using chew. By the end of the third week I was using the strongest Patch available, smoking 2 packs a day, and going through a tin every third day. According to the warnings with the patch I should have either had a stroke or heartattack. By the fifth week I quit using the Patch and was back to just a pack a day. When I went back to the doctor and told him this, he told me I was one of the 1 in 350,000 that the patch puts into nicotine hyperdrive so that you can't get enough nicotine. Now I refuse to try any of the quit smoking products. Good luck to you all and I wish you better luck then I have had. :-[ :'( ;D

Smoke, chew, and patch that'a hardcore ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:34 AM »
I quit last year on Feb 28, but started up again on Oct 18. Now I haven't had one since Christmas night. I'm cheating though, I use Skoal Pouches to control my cravings. Now instead of $40 I only spend $10 to $15, and trade in my tins to the bait store. Ten years ago I went to the doctor and got a perscription for the Patch and failed miserably.I had always been a pack a day smoker, but by the second week I started using chew. By the end of the third week I was using the strongest Patch available, smoking 2 packs a day, and going through a tin every third day. According to the warnings with the patch I should have either had a stroke or heartattack. By the fifth week I quit using the Patch and was back to just a pack a day. When I went back to the doctor and told him this, he told me I was one of the 1 in 350,000 that the patch puts into nicotine hyperdrive so that you can't get enough nicotine. Now I refuse to try any of the quit smoking products. Good luck to you all and I wish you better luck then I have had. :-[ :'( ;D

I hear ya! I've found out that most people are NOT addicted to nicotine like we are :o I've tried to quit useing the gum and found myself smokeing while useing it.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:36 PM »

Keep it up guys, I think for me it's going to have to be cold turkey. Getting fired up to stop firing up! ;D Its inspiring to see the efforts, good luck! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Way to go guys. I'm glad for you. I could say that quitting smoking is easy because I have done it 100 times. I'm gonna give it a go again shortly. I hope it will be easier now that I am retired. :)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:00 PM »
good job guys, keep it up!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:25 PM »
I was really dissapointed with Cabela's.  Most of their ice gear was put away for the season.  Ended up with a buddy heater and some misc. stuff.  Headed to Gander tomorrow they are having a pretty good sale.  Wife is encouraging me to go in search of ice next weekend as ANOTHER reward for not smoking. Can't beat that.  By the way how long do you have to go without a smoke to say you have QUIT????
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:45 PM »
  By the way how long do you have to go without a smoke to say you have QUIT????

Sorry swanny but forever! is your answer...

GOOD LUCK FELLA's!! CONGRATS! to the fella's that gtr dun

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline Poppy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:29 AM »
Pikefish & all of you trying to quit, don't give in.  It has been nine weeks for me smoke free.  Know why, a heart attack and three stents in the heart.  Scariest couple of days in my life.  It was and is hard to do but you can do it.  Congrats to all who have or are trying.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:31 AM »
I hear ya! I've found out that most people are NOT addicted to nicotine like we are :o I've tried to quit useing the gum and found myself smokeing while useing it.
lol
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline hole-driller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They say you can't fish , so you need to leave it
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:11 AM »
;) great guy, just great, well i smoked for 41 years and my brother decided to quit. so i told myself i was going to quit to just to see if i  could. well my older brother had a relapse, but I'm still smoke free.2Years. 2 mo, 5 days
hers how i did it and maybe it will help one of you.
i went on the patches for the 3th time,only this time i double the time on them.( patch #1 said 2 weeks so i made it 4 weeks and so on)
my wife was feeding me a pill called (St. John's Wort) or as my wife calls it (your ***** pill)
It really did it for me.
Vern

ps: go for it guys ,you all have the balls for it.and just look at the nabors and you can see who still smokes by looking at the blinds, some are yellow and some are brown.
this reformed sleeper did it you can to.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
They say you can't fish , so you need to leave it
 to me.   vern

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:00 AM »
I've Been Healing for 9 Months, 14 Days, 7 Hours and 39 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 18 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 5,226 cigarettes that would have cost me $1,203.16.

Now...for my wife...

She's Been Healing for 7 Months, 24 Days, 16 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending her life expectancy 14 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4,315 cigarettes that would have cost us $991.33.

Now...here's the kicker...we're taking the kids in a couple of weeks to Disney....that $2,194 should come in real handy on a Disney trip with the family!

Listen...If my wife and I can do it at pretty much the same time - cold turkey - relying on God and prayer...shoot, man, any of you cats can do it!  Sometimes we both wanna break down and smoke like chimneys....but it is so rewarding 10 minutes later when you've conquered!

Good Luck To All Ya'll

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Great analogies SleePac,...you might take some more solace that I believe your figures on the amt of money you saved is probably a bit low. I wish I still had all the factors associated with the costs of smoking that add up. Ie like once in a while burning a hole in clothes or furniture, the costs of going to get smokes (not a small item when you think of the REAL costs of operating a car/truck) the amount you would have if you had invested this money in a 10% compounded interest (yes you can still find them) investment vehicle. It might make you ill in the amount that is "lost" over many years of smoking. As a Landlord I give a discount of 30.00 a month for a vow of no smoking in our apartments,..I feel its saves me a lot more than than in all the cleaning, burned holes in rugs , sink tops etc. I'm finding that other LL's are starting to realize this too and are either not accepting smokers at all or giving them discounts. Lots of other things like more gum disease and dental costs, cost/less production of one or two more colds a year. Etc,Etc,....some guys will hang on things like they are not charged for a cold because they work jobs that it doesn't matter if they are not in top condition, that they buy smokes off the internet and so on,..but no matter some things add up.
Anyway,..you are saving a LOT of $$

PIKEGUY

« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Well, I made it through the weekend and I can still call myself a quiter ;D ;D Man, I feel pretty good too. It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be ;D I've already saved enough $ to buy a St. Croix ice rod :o

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:10 AM »
Good job!! PIKEGUY !! Hey I know you bowl...Bowled Ia.state tourny this past weekend. I bowled : Team-629 ..Doubles-608...Singles- :'( 480 :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

PIKEGUY

« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:28 AM »
Bummer on the singles. Isn't it funny how one game and things can go to hell. Or even a week for that matter. My highs & lows for the year are....get this.....Game, 280 high 98 low. LOL :-X  Series, 688 high  low400s for a low. I guess I went into a slump ;)

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:09 AM »
Pikeguy....keep it up....if you're interested, PM me and I can give you some sites that really helped me and continue to help me....really cool quit counters that keep close tabs on the time and money aspect of quitting so that it keeps it all in perspective.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:24 AM »
Just PM them to me when/if you get the chance Please. I am interested. Thanks!

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Pikeguy....keep it up....if you're interested, PM me and I can give you some sites that really helped me and continue to help me....really cool quit counters that keep close tabs on the time and money aspect of quitting so that it keeps it all in perspective.
PM me as well trying to quit as well.
Cheese Head

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I quit 10 years ago when I was 46 and was a miserable thing to go through but now am delighted that I did. I smoked a pack of Camel Straights a day and a pipe for 30years. It is funny though that on occassion and only when I am fishing in the boat do I miss my pipe. My loser fishing buddy quit at the same time I did and he also only misses the pipe when we are fishing  in the boat. Not ice fishing or fly fishing or even after a meal; only in the boat. YOU will make it so just hang in and whining about it a lot seems to help. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline mikeyc0203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ayooooooo
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:41 PM »
nice job guys...hopefully u cann keep this going ;D

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:42 PM »
IT'S BEEN 5 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:02 PM »
IT'S BEEN 5 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was starting to wonder if maybe you gave up. I was gonna P.M. you. Congrats & let's keep the streak alive :flex:

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I even made it pike fishing with my chain smoking buddy.............no probs

bonkfan14

« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:20 PM »
august of 95 for me boys...zeke

PIKEGUY

« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Hey Bluefin, I had a thought..this topic seems to interest not only those of us trying to quit but those that have and those that want to. Maybe, since you started this thread, you can modify it daily to keep track of the number of days accurately. I think it's an important thread and thought it might help someone give it a shot by watching another's success. Again, just a thought. ;)

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I am still in also....28 days tomorrow.  After the dissapointing Cabela's "reward" trip made a stop at Gander today.  I had a $100 gift card and with the $180 I saved by not smoking I dropped some cash in there!!  Fishtrap pro with cover, jigs, propane, vex cover, and new auger blades.  Of course if you do the math I had $280 to spend but managed to drop $320, of well that's only $40 over...thats next week's savings by staying off the smokes, guess I'll HAVE to make it another week.lol
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:33 PM »
Maybe, since you started this thread, you can modify it daily to keep track of the number of days accurately.
I will  ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:41 PM »
great idea pikeguy !! you guys keep at it!! feel like having on just post your craving and someone will offer intrvention  :D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Keep up the good work guy's!
Maybe with the weather cool-down you can get in some hard core hard water fishing to make the time blaze by. I don't think you realize the worst is really over. The part of getting through the first few days. Now it's mainly a matter of developing a different life pattern to where you just don't think about lighting up. For me that was the worst part, the habit of lighting one up.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.