Author Topic: Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!  (Read 46341 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:28 PM »
the test will be tomorrow when I'm in the shack.....BUT my cravings aren't too bad.....if I can quit anyone can!

PIKEGUY

Re: 2 days' without a smoke
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:31 PM »
anyone? lol  I'm in the same boat. 2 days for me now. It's not so bad ;D

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:32 PM »
anyone? lol  I'm in the same boat. 2 days for me now. It's not so bad ;D
I don't miss the smell one bit!  especially on the hands and clothes

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Good Job guy's keep it up.  Your giving me hope!!!
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:33 PM »
You guys can do it!!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Good Job guy's keep it up.  Your giving me hope!!!
I'm getting a little help from Wellbutrin....no withdrawl symptoms at all :thumbsup:

PIKEGUY

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I don't miss the smell one bit!  especially on the hands and clothes

Agreed! My clothes still stink, but my office isn't smoke free. That's making it tough when people are standing next to me smoking in my office....where I used to smoke. lol   *****s ;D
Still, for cold turkey, the cravings are really not very frequent and pretty manageable. I just gotta remember......not one puff!

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:55 PM »
the worst days seem to be around the 7th day smoke free.....then again 2 weeks later.....the urge to take a puff really never goes away....I've done it about 3 times....the longest was around 43 days....stupid...stupi d.....Grump >:(

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:57 PM »
the worst days seem to be around the 7th day smoke free.....then again 2 weeks later.....the urge to take a puff really never goes away....I've done it about 3 times....the longest was around 43 days....stupid...stupi d.....Grump >:(
that's why I'm on Welbutrin.....it eliminates that part of it

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:03 PM »
keep it up guys...wait till the nicotine wears of your pipes completely you'll really smell other peoples smoke then  :P

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Keep it up
Congrats

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Remember...All that hard work you did is out the window if you say "Hey, can I have one of those?" >:D

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:32 PM »
24 days for me!  I think its pretty cool there are a few of us making a run at quiting,  makes it tougher to give in knowing we'll have to post we gave in.  I just think of the $$$$ I am saving, $120 so far.  I am pulling into Cabela's right now to reward myself.  Let you know what goodies I get.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:37 PM »
24 days for me!  I think its pretty cool there are a few of us making a run at quiting,  makes it tougher to give in knowing we'll have to post we gave in.  I just think of the $$$$ I am saving, $120 so far.  I am pulling into Cabela's right now to reward myself.  Let you know what goodies I get.

Awesome. You are my hero of the day!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I forgot about the $$$$.............2 packs a day and they are 5-6 bucks a pack up here!  that's some decent money ;D

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Congrats guys. I quit 37 years ago - the day my first child was born. Toughest part for me was right after a meal. Found a magazine after a meal helped. Kept my mind occupied and kept the hands busy turning pages. Good luck to all you "Quitters."
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:49 PM »

Good luck to you guys. All comes down to willpower.My dad quit over 30 years ago cold turkey. Says it's the best decision he ever made. You can do it.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:56 PM »
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the smartest thing you wil ever do
GOOD LUCK
I quit 16 years ago (3 packs a day, COLD TURKEY, it was ugly)
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

billybono

« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:59 PM »
good for you guys....someday for me, but i know when i do it, im going to have to quit a lot of things to make it work ie beer shots coffee...its so inconvinient here in ny to even have a smoke anymore its almost enough reason....whats the law here now???? you can only smoke in your bed under the covers with the lights turned off  ::) ::) ::)

billybono

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Good job guys....you give me hope as well.
My wife to be is doing good...she has had only 3smokes in a week..
so soon enough she will be on my butt to give up the butts.
Keep up the good work...we are here for ya.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:41 PM »
The owner of our company has given all his (smoking) employees an incentive to quit.  Every December, for the next three years he is giving us a $500 bonus, tax free for those who quit smoking.  Sounds pretty good,...Who couldn't use an extra $500 during the first part of ice fishing season !!!  Unfortunately, it is only an incentive to quit, not the requirement for quiting...really wanting to.  Even though this is a win-win situation I doubt if any of us will even give it an honest try.   Possibly someday I will truly want to quit...

For those of you who have quit, ..... Great job!!!!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Beeve,..yeah just think that 500 would be nice but as Pikeguy alludes to,.. its peanuts to what most spend on their smokes. Cigs cost about 5bucks a pack around here, %x365 (uh,,,you don't days off from smoking do you?) and you have 1,825.00 this of course doesn't add up the other costs (not talking at all about health right now) and you are well over 2,500. Thats if you smoke just a pack a day. 2 packs? 3 packs? Your significant other smoke too?
Thats a lot of fishing toys,...EVERY year!

Offline Gibby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Keep up the good work!!
It's tough but you can do it.
About 11years now for me, smoke free.

Gibby

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Sorry guys i had to say something :-[
Any way i don't know how yual do it but i hope you do and God Bless.
I'm hard core and don't give NY hardly any tax. Roll my own. Treat myself from time to time with a pack. With straights i get ALL the drug and hooked big time. Smoke when going poo, shaving (my favroite) and also in the shower. I do pound a few beers at night (only 8 or 9 on week nights) which i have to smoke with to.
The problem is that nicotine is the perfect drug, but the tar and co is the bad part. Also i drink coffee but the quart which cigs go good with.
If i quit i would probablly eat like a pig and have heart problems. I KNOW I WOULD EAT.
BTW i dont eat any food till around 8 to 11 pm at night, all day. No breakfast No lunch.
Anyway my hats off to all of you.
Tight lines with a lunker
crappieloo

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:33 PM »
You guy's are awesome!
You're on the right track. Do what I did that made it easier for me by rewarding yourself for what you're doing because for this you do really deserve it.
 Spend the same money you did on cigarettes on something you really want that is useful to you. With the price of cigarettes that means I know you can now afford that Marcum or Vexilar flasher, Aqua-Vu, power auger, 4X4 ATV, new truck. Start doing the math on what you were spending to fill an ashtray. You will be blown away on what that amounts to because those things right there are what I did with that money I was spending on killing myself. I have been without a cigarette for over 13 years and now I know I'll never go back. Mainly because there's still more crap that I want!!

Keep up the good work and start buying yourself those toys THAT is how you make it work!

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ilikepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if the fish arnt hitting eat venison
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2006, 07:20 PM »
hey great job man keep up the good work u can do it i quit 3 yrs ago June i was a heavy smoker 2 packs a day best thing Ive ever done man what a change it will make in your life
hows your big fat sucker

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:12 PM »
I think its time to quit. My wife is nagging me to and i am getting winded walking to my spots. Maybe after a couple months of saving the     $9-10 a day i could get rid of the old eagle flasher and get a vex  ;D

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:47 PM »
Keep it up guys, :clap: :thumbsup: :roflmao: according to the Surgeon General you will get in a couple more years of ice fishing if you quit.  With thousands of ice fishermen behind you, you can do it.  Of course with a thousand ice fishermen behind you, you better run for your life ;D ;D
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Congrats guys. Keep it up.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:23 PM »
I quit last year on Feb 28, but started up again on Oct 18. Now I haven't had one since Christmas night. I'm cheating though, I use Skoal Pouches to control my cravings. Now instead of $40 I only spend $10 to $15, and trade in my tins to the bait store. Ten years ago I went to the doctor and got a perscription for the Patch and failed miserably.I had always been a pack a day smoker, but by the second week I started using chew. By the end of the third week I was using the strongest Patch available, smoking 2 packs a day, and going through a tin every third day. According to the warnings with the patch I should have either had a stroke or heartattack. By the fifth week I quit using the Patch and was back to just a pack a day. When I went back to the doctor and told him this, he told me I was one of the 1 in 350,000 that the patch puts into nicotine hyperdrive so that you can't get enough nicotine. Now I refuse to try any of the quit smoking products. Good luck to you all and I wish you better luck then I have had. :-[ :'( ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.