Author Topic: What Are You Adding This Year?  (Read 40567 times)

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What Are You Adding This Year?
« Reply #60 on: Oct 13, 2014, 03:39 PM »
thinking of upgrading my sled might order some indian hiil traps @)

Offline Duckbutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Oct 13, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Last year attempted to take my wife and three small kids in my Eskimo Quickfish 3.  Yeah, I didn't get to fish in the shelter.  Planning on upgrading to a 5-6 man shelter.

It was my only skunk on the hard deck, but I had great distractions.  Just need a bigger shelter....
Part time dentist, full time father and fisherman

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Oct 13, 2014, 04:21 PM »
making a new/much lighter base for the home made pop up [cant do the FX 100 this year]
ditching as much weight as possible to make traveling easier with the smitty sled
broke a ski because too much weight and a plow pile in the middle of the access road at rice lake [ski's don't bend sharp]
after the repair we did Lilly pond and the smitty sled worked great for the walk from M 203 to the canal [gorilla glue is great]
also looking for a large pair of tubs snow shoes

SnoHam13

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Oct 13, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Ordered a tanaka power head and mora auger. Retiring the jiffy 30 for this lightweight setup. Also building all new ice rods to replace all my cheapo combos i purchased as I started to get into ice fishing. Looking at the Marcum wifi camera as well. Still waiting for more reviews on that though. Ordered the new frabil inline to see what all this inline reel fishing is all about. Have always used spinning reels. Personally I think $70-$100 for an inline is absolutely nuts but whatever, had cabelas pts to spend.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Oct 13, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Last year attempted to take my wife and three small kids in my Eskimo Quickfish 3.  Yeah, I didn't get to fish in the shelter.  Planning on upgrading to a 5-6 man shelter.
(Image removed from quote.)

It was my only skunk on the hard deck, but I had great distractions.  Just need a bigger shelter....

Beautiful family DB, you definitely need a bigger tent!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 13, 2014, 07:01 PM »
getting a trailer ready,trucks gone so mini-van and trailer is my new mode of transport.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Just ordered an eagle claw inline to see what the fuss is about, and an ice armor suit as cabelas canada had them on clearance and a free shipping promo.  hoping to get a one man flip over this year as well for when i go out without the family and still want some protection from the elements without having to give up mobility.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Really debating if I "need" an aqua-vu micro or just really "want" one.  I'm really happy with all the equipment I own but would consider upgrading my power auger if I ran into a good deal on a new/slightly used one.

To buy a micro...or not...

That is the question!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:55 PM »
[quote author=eiderz link=topic=292593.msg3063329#msg3063329 date=
In same situation with three little ones. Looking at the new clam six pack 1660 thermal.  Not sure how they get sizing on the tents. 
[/quote]

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Really debating if I "need" an aqua-vu micro or just really "want" one.  I'm really happy with all the equipment I own but would consider upgrading my power auger if I ran into a good deal on a new/slightly used one.

To buy a micro...or not...

That is the question!

I would say buy one . I got one at the end of the season last year . I only got to use it a few times before ice out but it was a lot of fun . I run a fl20 for a flasher but one day that I did use it I had perch that would follow up but not hit or just bump the bait . Come to find out when I dropped the cam down it's was just small ones just nosing the bait . I would have not know what was going on with out the cam .

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:41 PM »
Picked up a Aquaview 760CZ new from Cabelas for $340 plus a little tax.

Probably be my only purchase for ice fishing other than bait and maybe a few pk spoons.
Don

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:49 AM »
I'm hoping to buy as little as possible. I will be looking into trading my car for a truck in about a month. My old truck still runs great, but its getting past its days of long distance driving.

I am upgrading my auger. I am working on an old school straight pipe exhaust now. Its not nearly as effective as a tuned expansion chamber pipe, or even a pipe with a defuser, but when its cut to the right length, it is way better than a muffler. I even made a custom silencer on the end just like a dirtbike. I would guess its just as loud as with the muffler it came with. Now I just need to bend it out of the way. With that, I also sharpened my auger blade as best I could, and shimmed it at a little more aggressive angle.

The other thing is I am looking into building a flip over shanty for a cheap as possible. I am either going to buy a small molded sled for a cheap as possible and make a one man flip over, or make a custom wood sled like a smitty and make a 2 man flip over. I got the mechanics of it pretty well figured out, and I think for the poles, pvc might be the best way to go. The thing I'm not sure of is what to make the walls out of. For straight up cheap, I was thinking poly tarp, but its not very durable, and you cant sew it. I'm not so sure about taping it together. On the other end is canvas, but I have never found it for cheap. Usually one square yard of canvas is the same price as a small poly tarp.
-Tom

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Pike Hunter, Go to your local fabric store and check to see if they have Denier fabric. Same as what the flip overs are made from. I bought some from Field's to repair the holes in my pop up.

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Oct 15, 2014, 06:44 AM »
I am adding more time out on the ice. I bought  a couple of rods and some lures and plastics.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Just picked up an Otter Cottage xt1200 😃 I can see already I'm gonna love it no more wind whip and super comfy

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I'm thinking about a sled or 4-wheeler for lake trout on Granby...I really can't decide. I can cover more ground with a sled especially if there's snow on the lake, but then again, I can use the 4-wheeler year-round. Since I'm getting "older" and can only afford 1, I think maybe the 4-wheeler would be the best choice. Thoughts?
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #76 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:07 AM »
A 4 wheeler can be used year round!! @)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:30 AM »
I'm thinking about a sled or 4-wheeler for lake trout on Granby...I really can't decide. I can cover more ground with a sled especially if there's snow on the lake, but then again, I can use the 4-wheeler year-round. Since I'm getting "older" and can only afford 1, I think maybe the 4-wheeler would be the best choice. Thoughts?
Ski

My opinion is that a snowmobile makes a much better ice fishing vehicle. A snowmobile will go though just about anything, even open water. A 4 wheeler can get stuck in deep snow, and is next to useless in deep slush. Yes you can use a quad all year, but you can use your truck too. If you only have a car, thats a big plus for the 4x4 quad. I think a car/truck is the only thing that should have 4 wheels, just saying. :P
-Tom

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #78 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I need to add a "Smitty Sled"!

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #79 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Ski

Could allways buy a track kit for the 4 wheeler if it doesn't seem to do what you expected it t do.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #80 on: Oct 15, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I need to add a "Smitty Sled"!

It will definitely make your life easier......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:01 PM »
My wife came home with this today for a Christmas gift.
On clearance at FleetFarm for $89.

O' how I love my wife.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #82 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:06 PM »
 Lots of jigs and other fishing gear! I also got some new winter apparel for the upcoming ice season! Can't wait to try it!

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Yaktrax and maybe a smitty sled.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Oct 16, 2014, 10:55 AM »
I had yaktrax, and I did not like them at all. Mine just had the coiled up metal on the bottom, and it hardly had any grab at all on bare ice. It wasn't long before the rubber broke on them either. Luckily there was snow by that point. If you go with yaktrax, get the ones with actual spikes on them. I feel there are better ones out there. If I ever find a deal on them, I'm going with stabilicers. They don't use rubber, they use Velcro straps.
-Tom

Offline wizzard77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Oct 16, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I think that I am going to add a aqua-vu micro this year. I'm tired of hearing about all the fun I'm missing out on.
 now to find the best deal on one.
My gramps always said that if you work hard at something it'll come easy

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Anybody use kahtoola (SP?) spikes?  Thinking about adding a pair.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Anybody use kahtoola (SP?) spikes?  Thinking about adding a pair.
Kahtoola  the best Spikes out there ...also recommend Eskimo Ice anchors ...tried every anchor out there ...easy in and out no tool required .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I'm just adding more filet's to the freezer... ;D   I hope...    ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #89 on: Oct 16, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Thinking of getting a No. 8 GCI reel to try! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.