Author Topic: Who's Building A "Smitty Sled"?  (Read 55345 times)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: Who's Building A "Smitty Sled"?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 04, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I have mine fastened to eye hooks into the front uprights...    I'm thinking that it might help keep the ski tips from digging in a bit if they are through the tips of the skis.  But, I haven't had any problems with the way mine is set up..  works great !!

That, and if I give it a good tug I won't be putting that stress on the frame. I have deeper snow where I fish and any extra lift on the skis I can get I will take!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I scored some free skis last weekend but they are racing cross country skis so they are really light BUT seem kinda skinny to get any flotation in deep snow. Anyone ever use cross country skis on their sled?

Thanks for the sharing the pics all, they are all looking good!!  ;D ;D
I have built 2 Smitty sleds last Winter using XC skis and they work very well. I use one of the sleds to haul 3- 50 lb  bags of corn out to my feeder where I can't get my snowmobile thru and it pulls very well so putting 50 lbs of ice gear in one wouldn't faze it a bit.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2012, 11:52 PM »
I am going to be building one this season. I got 2 snow boards from a local ski shop and plan on using them for the base. Pics to come soon...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Sep 19, 2012, 07:51 AM »
let's think about this.... look at the angle of the tow rope attatched to the ski tips vs the supports. Towing by the tips will lift the tips whereas towing by the supports actually will cause the tips to dig into the snow. on ice, it won't matter.
key thing to remember...MUST COUNTERSINK THE SCREWS from the bottom of the skiis

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #64 on: Sep 19, 2012, 11:46 AM »
I have built 2 Smitty sleds last Winter using XC skis and they work very well. I use one of the sleds to haul 3- 50 lb  bags of corn out to my feeder where I can't get my snowmobile thru and it pulls very well so putting 50 lbs of ice gear in one wouldn't faze it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you attach tow rope to ski tips or sled frame?

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #65 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:17 PM »
let's think about this.... look at the angle of the tow rope attatched to the ski tips vs the supports. Towing by the tips will lift the tips whereas towing by the supports actually will cause the tips to dig into the snow.

I was actually thinking that pulling by the tips would lift the front more (as was mentioned) and that this would cause the backs of the skis to dig in/scrape the ice more, making it harder to pull,

Bring on the ice, I'm thinkin' about this too much.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Sep 19, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I was actually thinking that pulling by the tips would lift the front more (as was mentioned) and that this would cause the backs of the skis to dig in/scrape the ice more, making it harder to pull,

the problm is not with the ice. It's with the snow. if the snow is packed, no problem. problem is with the soft snow. you'll want the tips to ride ofer the top of the snow and the rest of the ski will follow.   

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #67 on: Sep 23, 2012, 06:29 AM »

Tie the rope to the tips, and have a LONG tow rope. Done.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #68 on: Sep 23, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Not to try and get the last word... but now that you have spoken Smity...NOW it is DONE.

Thanks!

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:53 PM »
How wide apart does everybody have there ski's.Wondering if 24" is to narrow?

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Sep 28, 2012, 07:13 PM »
here is mine, tried to have the rope on the ski but when stopping it would go under the ski ( in the snow and harder to pull out ) this new way on the frame the rope goes in the middle and doesnt dig in the snow!

made from old bed frame

this is a square U bolt great

here is one of my older version
the boxes on top is what I put on the new versions

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Sep 28, 2012, 07:35 PM »
I have the skis just need to start workin on it. I would like to make it out of aluminum but I have no trainig on welding aluminum so that may be a no go. I did see a guy last year on here that used an old thule roof rack and it was awesome but unless I can find somthing like it will likely will be made of wood 2x6. Just need to get out in the shop and start tinkering, I will eventually I will come up with something and if it doesnt work ill take it apart and do it over.

Paul

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Sep 28, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I have the skis just need to start workin on it. I would like to make it out of aluminum but I have no trainig on welding aluminum so that may be a no go. I did see a guy last year on here that used an old thule roof rack and it was awesome but unless I can find somthing like it will likely will be made of wood 2x6. Just need to get out in the shop and start tinkering, I will eventually I will come up with something and if it doesnt work ill take it apart and do it over.

Paul

no need to weld anything. check out post #24. I did mine in aluminum with no welding. just a thought.  :)

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Sep 29, 2012, 09:29 AM »
hickgtx600f4, that's a great plan. Have you thought about a way so it would "break down" to fit into a trunk? The aluminum angle is easy to get the uhmw that size will cost some but I want to order some more for sled runners for my small sled anyway. I definitely want it to be as light as I can get it and break down so it fits in a trunk as my truck has been down for some time. Thanks.

Paul

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Sep 29, 2012, 07:54 PM »
hickgtx600f4, that's a great plan. Have you thought about a way so it would "break down" to fit into a trunk? The aluminum angle is easy to get the uhmw that size will cost some but I want to order some more for sled runners for my small sled anyway. I definitely want it to be as light as I can get it and break down so it fits in a trunk as my truck has been down for some time. Thanks.

Paul

the angle pop's off just like the 2x4's on a regular smitty. the carrige bolts are 1/4" x5 or so. drill out angle with a 1/4" bit and beat the square head of the carrige bolt into the round hole. makes it a press fit. longest parts are the ski's once broken down. .    :thumbsup:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #75 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:27 AM »
And heres some rod holders I just got (12 for $20!) that should keep things nice and neat in the pack.
(Image removed from quote.)

What did you use for your rodholders? Any other pics of them would be greatly appreciated.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bonecollector719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:26 AM »
here is the one i built this summer while i was layed up from work.

We should forgive our enemies, but only after they’ve been taken out and shot.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:56 AM »
well....me and my cousin (fellow IS member nicjohnsrud) finally built our Smitty...he did all of the building, i pretty much consulted / drank PBR.  it was about right on at the $15 mark. we went with the pin in the base idea...and extended the cross braces to have the jiffy on one side, and the hub on the other...there's a bracket on the one cross brace for the auger to keep it level.  just need to get some short bungee cords and get our tow rope put on....custom PBR skis made as well as the bucket wrap by Nic...

broke down

assembled

ths skis

and the next project....the solo smitty...

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Second (third? Fourth?) the long tow rope - I use a 20' rope - gives 9.5'  of loop. Also, tie the rope to the ski tips, not the supports/tub/etc., as noted by others. Thread the rope from the bottom of the skis, leaving the knot on the top. This will further lighten the leading edge of the sled assembly.

Dave

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:27 AM »

A sled for the big foot in progress.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Second (third? Fourth?) the long tow rope - I use a 20' rope - gives 9.5'  of loop. Also, tie the rope to the ski tips, not the supports/tub/etc., as noted by others. Thread the rope from the bottom of the skis, leaving the knot on the top. This will further lighten the leading edge of the sled assembly.

Dave

Thanks for the pointers....I'm sure those minor changes make a big difference in pulling the sled.  Now we just need some ice!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 18, 2012, 05:19 AM »
bump
Gator Nation

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 AM »
mud_n_fun,

Is your sled sturdy enough to sit on? or do you take a chair with you? I would love to see a picture of the inside to see how you have the top box set up.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Here is mine just finished Saturday

I would recommend using construction adhesive between the ski and the 2x6 in addition to the screws. I also countersunk the screws and filled in the holes with silicon.

Has anyone tried Glidewax on their skis? Did it make a difference?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:27 AM »
that's on my bucket list for this season,with a few mods. great job Smitty :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Nice to see someone else has an older style Clam in service as well! Looks exactly like my old Junior Clam from 30 years ago that I still have in use to this day!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Here is my mini/solo smitty. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I think it will work well for solo trips out on the ice! (if we ever get any here in southwest WI)

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #89 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Hey threadforstring, be careful how you pull on your sled with that tiny piece of wood on the back side of your brace.  I built one 2 weeks ago really similar to yours.  When I got home, I was pulling it out of the truck and sheared that back piece off.  I rebuilt it tonight and left a solid 6 inches of wood back there.  A lot of the pressure is getting put on that piece.
  BE THERE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.