Author Topic: Who's Building A "Smitty Sled"?  (Read 55338 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Who's Building A "Smitty Sled"?
« on: Jul 14, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Now's the time to be picking up some cheap skis at the local thrift shop and get building a smitty sled to make your life a whole lot easier this winter. And it is cheap!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

surflizard

Re: Who's Building A "Smitty Sled"?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Can you post photos of your sled again Smitty, a lot of the new members haven't gotten a chance to check it out ?

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Can you please post some pics? Are they hard to build?
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2012, 09:00 PM »
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Thank you, That does look easy to build.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I built a smitty sled with some real lightweight compsit k2 skis we had in the garage. Built the frame out of scap 2x2's and 1x4's to try to keep weight to a minimum. Used a bread rack and one roof rack cut in half to carry the tackle, flashers, and misc. stuff on the back end. I lifted the frame from the skis approx. 8" too allow for deeper snow. My one reamaining hurdle is wether i should drill though the frame to rig up the hitch (rope and pvc) or should i go though the skis to try to keep it on top of the snow. The frabil 2 person cabin (suitcase) sits on the front and it is probably the heaviest end until i figure a way to mount the auger on the back :-\ Any feedback would be helpful.... Thanks :tipup:

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2012, 11:06 AM »
I am, and I can't wait.  ;D Although I will need to change my plans a bit with the new...to me...Jiffy 30 I picked up for $20. Going to be a jet sled on the Smitty Sled, want to figure out a good way to mount the auger outside of the jet sled. I've been looking over countless threads on the topic and have got a few good ideas. Might just make the Smitty Sled a bit wider than the Jet Sled and come up with some basic braket mount. Anyway, still love the invention Smitty...as do many others based on all of the sleds I've seen built.  ;D :tipup:

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2012, 11:32 PM »
My Smitty Sled - built last season on a whim and attached directly to my Team Wild sled - was hands down the best think ever last year.  I was 300% more mobile and wasn't tired in the least.  If anyone out there isn't sure about what a Smitty Sled can do for you, build it and use it.  You will thank your lucky stars you did.

Thinkin' about building another this year with a larger sled so I can keep everything in the tub without having to figure out if I need to take the popup with me or not.  It's mighty nice having everything right there ready to go.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2012, 06:30 AM »
I am.
Well I built one last year but it never hit the ice. Every trip except one was less than 4" of ice with no snow.
I tore it down to redesign it. I want it to carry the shack, heater, 5# tank, cooking utensils and food for my longer trips. That way all of it is together and I'm not packing and repacking my jetsled. I never take the shack if I'm alone so there will always be someone to pull it if we are walking.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2012, 03:11 PM »
already have the materials just have to get busy when it cools down some

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:14 AM »
Here is a close up of one of 4 supports that hold the top 2x6 boards. My pin is in the base as you can see. This way my top boards don't have a pin in them so nothing to catch,hit etc. when loading-unloading, Just a hole in them. I went with 2x6 top boards for the extra support. Works great!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2012, 06:22 AM »
Waiting for it to cool down so I can start building one too. :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:54 PM »
found three sets of ski s in the trash!!   probably will build two,so I can let someone else use one too!

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Here is a close up of one of 4 supports that hold the top 2x6 boards. My pin is in the base as you can see. This way my top boards don't have a pin in them so nothing to catch,hit etc. when loading-unloading, Just a hole in them. I went with 2x6 top boards for the extra support. Works great!

(Image removed from quote.)

How do you have that pin in the base? Is it threaded on the other half or is it running through the entire support? Nice design and mod to this.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2012, 07:55 PM »
SHAKE its a 3\8" stainless rod with a small bevel on the end. I ground 2 notches in the bottom to help hold it and used epoxy to hold them in. Its 4" long. I didn't like the pin coming out of the 2x4,  :%$#!:  pinwanted to snag what ever it touches. So this is what I came up with.  I used a 2x6 for my top boards so my hut had a little more to sit on, Press it on and in,  pop it off with a small hit from underneath. Worked great! Had my heavy flip-over and my sons flip-over stacked on it and it still pulled easy

Trooper Bri

« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2012, 10:03 PM »
SHAKE its a 3\8" stainless rod with a small bevel on the end. I ground 2 notches in the bottom to help hold it and used epoxy to hold them in. Its 4" long. I didn't like the pin coming out of the 2x4,  :%$#!:  pinwanted to snag what ever it touches. So this is what I came up with.  I used a 2x6 for my top boards so my hut had a little more to sit on, Press it on and in,  pop it off with a small hit from underneath. Worked great! Had my heavy flip-over and my sons flip-over stacked on it and it still pulled easy

That's a good idea. Cheap and widely available substitute would be standard threaded rod. The epoxy would grab it real good too.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I'm replacing the down hill ski's on mine. After 30 years the old Head 360's finally gave up the ghost. I bought a much newer used pair of down hill ski's at a good will store for $5

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Wondering what ya think ? I'm thinking of a "Rigid Smitty". Got the idea for this from another post - somewhere on this site ... Anyways the plan a universal gutter mount cargo carrier, mounted to angle iron on the skies.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2012, 07:01 AM »
Wondering what ya think ? I'm thinking of a "Rigid Smitty". Got the idea for this from another post - somewhere on this site ... Anyways the plan a universal gutter mount cargo carrier, mounted to angle iron on the skies.

(Image removed from quote.)
It would work I suppose, but keep in mind weight is a factor on well it glides "on top" of the snow, I don't know how-ever, if you will be pulling it by hand. My sled maybe weighs 10lbs empty.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Hey Smitty, I just want to say Thanks for sharing such a great idea....not like you havent heard that one before! I'm impressed to say the least with how alot of the members here built the Smitty Sled and the mods. Never built one last year, but today is another rain day, great time to start a new project! Two thumbs up to you and all the members for sharing their builds....thats what makes this site so great! :thumbsup:

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Got some more work done on my smitty sled today and took some pics.

The frame...pretty light

Here its loaded.. I have 2 marcums in the tool box, the heater in the bucket and the "cabin" on the front. Camp stove and cooler also. Could fit more chairs on too if necessary. I will probably carry those longrods on my pack too, but maybe they will ride okay with a sleeve on

And heres some rod holders I just got (12 for $20!) that should keep things nice and neat in the pack.

Still some work to do.... need to make a cover for the back.. and some other stuff  :tipup: :tipup:

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2012, 05:41 AM »
Sharp looking sled, Well Done !

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Thank Surf. For as light as it is, it feels solid as a rock. But I'm concerned about it "tweaking" over the season. Pulling from the skis will help. May try to add some cross-bracing from post to post.... or add a 45 degreed 2x2's connecting the corner posts to the skis again....or it might just be fine

surflizard

« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Short angle braces from the up right posts to the box frame would be an easy to prevent the sled from racking.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Well Smitty i was looking for an old set of ski's last fall but the lawn sale's had passed and every body wanted alot of cash for ski's in the fall. ooh well. two weeks ago i found a pair of skis for $10, score!!!  so i built one out of wood and such and love it. cant wait to use it this winter. only problem is that on my way home from town i noticed what i thought was a pair of skis in a pile next to the road that had a sign that said FREE.  so i pulled in and sure enough three pairs of skis. The lady said take all three or dont take any.  well OK..  sooo now my wheels are turning , how can i make the greatest sled  i have ever seen better. so i looked around and found some extra UHMW and a piece of 1-1/2 aluminum angle. Perfect. so i made one up tonight and i think its just what i was looking for. weighs less than the wooden Smitty and wont take on water. plus its SHINY !!  ;D  I still have to put on my eyelets for tiedown's and a tow rope. Here she is I hope ya like it.  :thumbsup:

counter sunk screws.

cut the aluminum angle down to size

notched to fit.

here it is next to the last months smitty sled.

Thanks again Smitty for a great design.  :thumbsup: :clap:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:16 PM »
All these Mod look awesome - but I'm just wondering - how many take the time to apply "Ski-wax" especially for those who hand pull. It will make it a lot easier to pull. Google it. Even for beat up ole skies it will help. 

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:22 PM »
yup cant agree more, buff off the rust and wax them up before ya take them out. it will definitely pull easier.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Nice build Hick, whats the weight difference between the two ?

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Thanks Surf. the wooden Smitty came in at 24.2 lbs, and the UHMW/ aluminum came in at 16.4 lbs. shaved 7.8 lbs and it tightened up the racking . deff.. gonna be my go to Smitty.   

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I scored some free skis last weekend but they are racing cross country skis so they are really light BUT seem kinda skinny to get any flotation in deep snow. Anyone ever use cross country skis on their sled?

Thanks for the sharing the pics all, they are all looking good!!  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.