Author Topic: WI state record sturgeon speared!!  (Read 37216 times)

Offline wesson4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WI state record sturgeon speared!!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:52 PM »
If PA had them monsters I would catch/speer them for sure. Probably beats the he!! outta catchin gills!!! :woot:

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Do the guys use a pitchfork size spear for a fish that size and any pics of that too? Just curious.

I believe this is how it was caught:

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I've seen pictures from the early 1900's of sturgeon stacked like cord wood from Lake Ontario. They were taken at Point Breeze where the Oak Orchard river empties into Lake O. They were huge. All taken on long line rigs.

RG
       I bet they weren't taken for the experance .

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:21 PM »
       I bet they weren't taken for the experance .

You must fish for the experience,or the substance!!!If not why take up the sport..... :-\

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I'm sure it was their livelihood in those days.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:58 PM »
You must fish for the experience,or the substance!!!If not why take up the sport..... :-\
Iwouldn' kill anything for the experience. if its not kept and eaten. its releast. never realy understood the trophy hunt thing . i'v shot plenty of bucks, and a few does, but not for a trophy . wouldn't sleep well if it was just for the exp, no offence meant.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:04 PM »
cant we all just along?????

shut up & fish.........
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:09 PM »
cant we all just along?????

shut up & fish.........
dont usualy preach , so i'll shut up and fish .

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Iwouldn' kill anything for the experience. if its not kept and eaten. its releast. never realy understood the trophy hunt thing . i'v shot plenty of bucks, and a few does, but not for a trophy . wouldn't sleep well if it was just for the exp, no offence meant.

Those trophy animals are elusive aint they!!! ::)

Offline pdc_fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I have seen guys selling there deer hides/mounts on craigslist/ebay,thats illegal in WI.... ???

cant sell the meat. selling hides is fine

" It is illegal to: • sell, purchase, barter, or offer to sell, purchase or barter any deer or deer part thereof except: the head, skin not in spotted coat, and antlers not in velvet of any deer lawfully killed, when severed from the rest of the carcass." - taken from http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/Deer09.pdf
i want to ice fish baby <da da da da da dada> i want to ice fish baby <da da da da da dada>

Offline toothy critter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Doesn't get any better
« Reply #70 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:42 PM »
If it's legal, then congratulations to your WI state record. Whens the fish fry.

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:54 PM »
that is an amazing fish

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:10 PM »
I wonder what the guy thought when he saw that swim in. If it was me my heart would have exploded followed by evacuation of my bowels   ;D
Tu ne cede malis

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:17 PM »
"your gonna need a bigger Boat"
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #75 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:21 AM »
a shark without the teeth...legal and people are interested ..go for it
congrats on that monster ...just crazy that it comes out of freshwater to me
"shut up and fish" should be the start to every thread lmao

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:36 AM »
In NY the DEC has been trying to bring the Sturgeon back. So far the state has failed to figure it out. A couple of years ago the State had a contractor working on a bridge and erosion control along the Black River. The contractor dumped a couple of truck loads of leftover pea stone into the river. As the state is trying to sue the contractor to clean up the stone, some kids saw "Weird Fish" digging up the pea stone. For the first time in remembered history Sturgeon were seen spawning in the Black River. It was a big story locally. The kids snapped some pics that ended up in the local paper. Surprise, surprise it was found by the Smart Guys at the DEC, Sturgeon spawning in the pea stone. And my goodness there was some big ones there.

Gee wizz you clean up the muddy bottom of the creeks and rivers and fish wanna spawn on it. The state backtracked on the lawsuit in some respects, a lot of crow was chocked down. I really have to say that in NY State the DEC only employs Geniuses. In fact I think it's mandatory. This state just can't get it's resources all working on a single page.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:39 PM »
In NY the DEC has been trying to bring the Sturgeon back. So far the state has failed to figure it out. A couple of years ago the State had a contractor working on a bridge and erosion control along the Black River. The contractor dumped a couple of truck loads of leftover pea stone into the river. As the state is trying to sue the contractor to clean up the stone, some kids saw "Weird Fish" digging up the pea stone. For the first time in remembered history Sturgeon we seen spawning in the Black River. It was a big story locally. The kids snapped some pics that ended up in the local paper. Surprise, surprise it was found by the Smart Guys at the DEC, Sturgeon spawning in the pea stone. And my goodness there was some big ones there.

Here in Wisconsin we have been blessed with a good river for the sturgeon to spawn in (Wolf River) and natural reproduction has been pretty good.  The problems start when people poach these fish when they are actually spawning, because they are in shallow water and weaker than normal.  That and over-fishing really took it's toll back in the 30's and 40's.

Oddly enough, Michigan also holds a sturgeon spearing season, it's on Black Lake, it lasts 5 days, or if 5 fish get speared.  Really limited there.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:30 PM »
whatever the case may be all the crying in the world aint gonna bring it back. it wasnt illegal. was it it ethical ? i couldnt argue for either side. does a sturgeon that size have a good enough spawn yeild to make a difference ? again i dont know. i know at least for walleye the biggest fish are equal to senior citizens. past a certain age the spawn yeilds are awefull and thus keeping a large fish is of no major impact. if this is the case with a sturgeon and the fish was consumed in some way i personally have no problem.

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:13 AM »
In NY the DEC has been trying to bring the Sturgeon back. So far the state has failed to figure it out. A couple of years ago the State had a contractor working on a bridge and erosion control along the Black River. The contractor dumped a couple of truck loads of leftover pea stone into the river. As the state is trying to sue the contractor to clean up the stone, some kids saw "Weird Fish" digging up the pea stone. For the first time in remembered history Sturgeon we seen spawning in the Black River. It was a big story locally. The kids snapped some pics that ended up in the local paper. Surprise, surprise it was found by the Smart Guys at the DEC, Sturgeon spawning in the pea stone. And my goodness there was some big ones there.

Gee wizz you clean up the muddy bottom of the creeks and rivers and fish wanna spawn on it. The state backtracked on the lawsuit in some respects, a lot of crow was chocked down. I really have to say that in NY State the DEC only employs Geniuses. In fact I think it's mandatory. This state just can't get it's resources all working on a single page.
i would love to see some sturgeon come back in ny, down here in CNY if someone catches a sturgeon by accident its a huge deal, but definitely agreed, the DEC needs to make some moves to be more efficient, how about comorant control on onieda, in my opinion it should be expanded to some of the fingerlakes but anyway with our "budget crisis" we wont see that happen for a long time

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:03 AM »
i would love to see some sturgeon come back in ny, down here in CNY if someone catches a sturgeon by accident its a huge deal, but definitely agreed, the DEC needs to make some moves to be more efficient, how about comorant control on onieda, in my opinion it should be expanded to some of the fingerlakes but anyway with our "budget crisis" we wont see that happen for a long time
There is a whole thread on those birds. Shoot the invaders. They are not a native bird. Should be open season all year with no limit. They sure can eat some big fish.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #81 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:35 AM »

Perfectly well put!!

The problem with these idiots is just that - they are idiots.  Nobody is working together, nobody has a common goal, none of the money is being spent to improve the overall health of the ecosystem, they list goes on and on. All they do is diddle around day in and day out in and collect their paychecks every 2 weeks.

And I'm not from NY, so rest assure your states problems occur elsewhere as well. Be greatful for this though. In our state, we have NO online resources for maps, lake/pond info. The only stocking programs in our state are rainbow, brown, brook trout, and northern pike. And to top it off, Pike are only stocked into 5 fisheries in the whole state. Then we still have to fight with towns to open gates/not issue tickets, because they intentionally leave fishing areas closed and put up no parking signs along side streets on the few fisheries that are actually decent because they are so popular.

I think every state needs a fishing club geared twoards keeping the state in line.

Back to the original topic please!!!! ;)

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:39 AM »
At least you got to use the deer rack again....that thing is huge but what do you do with it...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #83 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Soooo...maybe get the hide tanned?  ;D

Or maybe get some of those plated bones saved...for a museum.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:27 AM »
 ??? I never caught one ice fishing before, but I just did last Monday on the Holcombe Flowage in Northern, WI.  I caught a 33" shovel nosed sturgeon. I was in 25' of water so I took my time letting him get his breathing to normal before sending him all the way to the bottom of the hole. It took a minnow. 

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:19 PM »
From the sounds of it it's a good eating fish and it's a very controlled season. If taking fish like that out of the system was bad for the population they wouldn't let it happen. If that guy spears a huge sturgeon and then smokes it and has a huge party then I want in. I wonder if he has to build an addition onto the house so that he has a wall big enough for it :)  Thanks to walleye64 or whoever it was that posted this.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline Moosebunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:23 PM »
What a shame.
Wahtchoo Talkin' 'Bout Willis?

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #87 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:39 AM »
its a hell of a thing killin a sturgeon. you take away all it has and all its ever gonna  have

How is that different from anything else you ever eat? 

While the utomost respect is due to ALL creatures, none garners more than the next in my opinion.  From the limit of 10 inch perch you keep to a Boone and Crockett buck that is shot, their lives end at our will and or need.  How many people have bemoaned the end of life for the cow when they go through the drive through at McD's? 

I really don't think it matters how young or old it is, this fishery is managed for a certain number of sturgeon to be harvested from it on an annual basis.  We however as humans tend to project our emotions towards and apply them onto these animals which is illogical.

I say well done!  Any person should be honored and humbled to have harvested such an animal. 

All this is said with the full understanding that each has they're own belief system and I fully respect that.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:17 AM »
How is that different from anything else you ever eat? 

While the utomost respect is due to ALL creatures, none garners more than the next in my opinion.  From the limit of 10 inch perch you keep to a Boone and Crockett buck that is shot, their lives end at our will and or need.  How many people have bemoaned the end of life for the cow when they go through the drive through at McD's? 

I really don't think it matters how young or old it is, this fishery is managed for a certain number of sturgeon to be harvested from it on an annual basis.  We however as humans tend to project our emotions towards and apply them onto these animals which is illogical.

I say well done!  Any person should be honored and humbled to have harvested such an animal. 

All this is said with the full understanding that each has they're own belief system and I fully respect that.
:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: Well said!!!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline splakeshaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Someday...She'll understand.
« Reply #89 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:58 AM »
its a hell of a thing killin a sturgeon. you take away all it has and all its ever gonna  have

I'll just say for that comment you will be "Unforgiven".
If it wasn't for trout fishin', my wife would have a husband.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.