New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339945 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11430 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:26 PM »
I will move miles from anyone that tries to fish near me on LG.  Once you've watched schools of lakers dissappear from livescope a few times because of someone like the spud guy mentioned in the last post...you learn that fishing near others is a detriment. 

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11431 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Once we can get out past the ¨access"fishermen I usually do not want to be within 200 yards of anyone. When it is early ice I tolerate almost anything because you signed up for that when you go to LG and there is only so much ice. I do not fish for Lakers but learned long ago to hide my perch and to look for crowds then run and fish the other way. Over the years I have found enough spots to get away. If I am way out there alone and one or 2 guys end up near me I do not care unless they are dumping tip-ups all around me. Then I will leave. I don´t do ice confrontations anymore. I bow hunted the Albany Pinebush for years so there is nothing any fishing pressure can do to push me over the edge outside of stealing my auger while I am in my shanty. All that being said, I am a ¨dragger ¨and if it is ¨heart attack"snow I will camp out closer to others at times and take what the lake gives me.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11432 on: Mar 03, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Well said ice plank.. I fish the Hague region.. if I see 4 people in however many miles of visibility  its a busy day on the ice LOL. head where there are no people.. still great spots Available.. just gotta find the access.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11433 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Took us 4 all day trips to finally find some aggressive lakers. So much more fun when they actually hit when they chase more than 10'. We try to get away from crowds if possible. We like to bounce around and try new spots. Part of the fun.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11434 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:27 PM »
Took us 4 all day trips to finally find some aggressive lakers. So much more fun when they actually hit when they chase more than 10'. We try to get away from crowds if possible. We like to bounce around and try new spots. Part of the fun.

The key to aggressive chasers is no pressure.  I can't even describe what it's like when you hit first ice and beat everyone out there.  It's excessive.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11435 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:17 PM »
The key to aggressive chasers is no pressure.  I can't even describe what it's like when you hit first ice and beat everyone out there.  It's excessive.

That’s my plan this weekend with the princess, get there early and fish where I want. But I’m going to limit out on perch and not target Lakers. Hope to be home by 11:00

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11436 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:26 PM »
Crush em!  I'm on domestic duties this weekend as it's the gf's birthday.  I'll fish vicariously through you all. 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11437 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Once we can get out past the ¨access"fishermen I usually do not want to be within 200 yards of anyone. When it is early ice I tolerate almost anything because you signed up for that when you go to LG and there is only so much ice. I do not fish for Lakers but learned long ago to hide my perch and to look for crowds then run and fish the other way. Over the years I have found enough spots to get away. If I am way out there alone and one or 2 guys end up near me I do not care unless they are dumping tip-ups all around me. Then I will leave. I don´t do ice confrontations anymore. I bow hunted the Albany Pinebush for years so there is nothing any fishing pressure can do to push me over the edge outside of stealing my auger while I am in my shanty. All that being said, I am a ¨dragger ¨and if it is ¨heart attack"snow I will camp out closer to others at times and take what the lake gives me.

Nothing like sneezing in the stand and hearing bless you from off in the woods. I still hunt it from time to time some big bucks running around in there.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11438 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:41 PM »
What is the road up and out of hearthstone like right  now? Is driveable? Icy? All pavement?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11439 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:00 AM »
A buddy who doesn't ice fish LG sent me a text today that made me really think and is probably why the place is getting so much attention.

"Since I watched one video posted yesterday a million other videos have been posted on YouTube from LG.  People sure do love blowing their spot up"

Just thought that was worth mentioning....I watched a striper venue with 14 miles of shoreline become un-fishable after the same thing happened.  14 mile of access shoulder to shoulder to a point where it wasn't worth going.  I see the same fate for LG in the next few seasons.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11440 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:16 AM »
A buddy who doesn't ice fish LG sent me a text today that made me really think and is probably why the place is getting so much attention.

"Since I watched one video posted yesterday a million other videos have been posted on YouTube from LG.  People sure do love blowing their spot up"

Just thought that was worth mentioning....I watched a striper venue with 14 miles of shoreline become un-fishable after the same thing happened.  14 mile of access shoulder to shoulder to a point where it wasn't worth going.  I see the same fate for LG in the next few seasons.

I saw the same thing with LG. one person even did a navionics tutorial where he showed multiple parts of the lake and you could see his personal waypoints where he had success. Low and behold I checked out one of those spots because I never fished there and it was stacked up with guys on a week day. Needless to say I didn’t even bother drilling a hole in that particular area.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11441 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:36 AM »
We’re out right now...  literally not a soul in sight. It’s amazing what a little wind and a 2 mile walk will do😎
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11442 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Our sport is going to have to consider a very interesting philosophy of participation vs the law of diminishing returns vs how much pressure specific places can take.  I personally like that the sport is seeing more adoption but in the same breath worry that we are going to outpace what nature can provide.  Now if anyone wants proof..look at other countries.  Some of which the public waters have been "fished out" for over 50 years.  Other countries like England you pay to fish a particular venue and the idea of open public access is completely foreign to them.  All that is headed our way in time and the information age and fishing is proven to be both very helpful and very dangerous at the same time.

I went to LG 3 times this year.  All weekdays.  I used to go every weekend.  No more.  I'll make room for someone new and enjoy being off the beaten path.  I will be watching and listening to see how this story continues to unfold.  Having been that guy who has traded a natural resource for money I see both sides.  I stopped selling myself out quickly after realizing two things.   Natural resources in history have quickly fallen when money is involved, and two that it literally felt like selling my soul. 

Again I have no issues with any of it, I just change my behavior to avoid the thundering herd and had the best laker season elsewhere.  Mostly alone! 

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11443 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:47 AM »
We’re out right now...  literally not a soul in sight. It’s amazing what a little wind and a 2 mile walk will do😎

Any sketchy ice along the way or pretty solid? Hoping to get up to LG this afternoon for my first time this year. Have a new ducer to try out too!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11444 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:53 AM »

"Since I watched one video posted yesterday a million other videos have been posted on YouTube from LG.  People sure do love blowing their spot
Not trying to start anything but its not just YouTube vids. Its social media in general. LG thread by far the most popular. Lots of talk from many members and lots of pics of lakers and perch over the years. You don't think post like this brings new interest from guys?
 Here is your recent post

"Last time I was there 1 week ago I caught 37 and the largest was over 30".  Sure the lake gets pressure and this year has been exceptional but no excuses as Red said the place is literally packed with cookie cutters between 23-25".

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11445 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:07 AM »

I’ve noticed a big change on LG in only a couple years. I passed on fishing there this year.  Kudos for you guys getting on fish. Some really great fisherman on here. You being one of them. So many people looking for instant stardom, attention, self gratification and LIKES lol. Catching fish is fun no doubt. But having places to catch fish in the future is pretty fun too. One buddy tells a buddy then he tells two others, he then tells 3 others while 2 strangers overheard lol. It’s like showing everyone your big buck pictures then wondering what happened to the big deer you were hunting haha!  Hope people are more mindful of the resources (not just LG) in the future. I too have seen the negative impacts man can impose. Best of luck on the remainder of season everyone!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11446 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:35 AM »
I am all for people doing what they do I want to make that clear.  You want to do YouTube, social whatever that's fine by me.  I don't want ideals pushed on me and I don't want to push them.  I think sharing info is great for learning purposes but also think all of us as sportsmen need to learn and understand how that information sharing effects the natural resources that we are all enjoying.  I don't want to create a rift between people that want to share and people that don't because I holeheartedly believe the best thing about fishing is we all share a common interest. Even if we disagree we all love to fish. 

I just think we have to get past the cancel culture vibes to have an open discussion on the impacts and changes in fishing with it being the information age.  I've noticed the effects personally and others have as well.  Instead of tearing people down we need to help them see things from a different perspective. That's going to be the hardest part. 

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11447 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:39 AM »
I am all for people doing what they do I want to make that clear.  You want to do YouTube, social whatever that's fine by me.  I don't want ideals pushed on me and I don't want to push them.  I think sharing info is great for learning purposes but also think all of us as sportsmen need to learn and understand how that information sharing effects the natural resources that we are all enjoying.  I don't want to create a rift between people that want to share and people that don't because I holeheartedly believe the best thing about fishing is we all share a common interest. Even if we disagree we all love to fish. 

I just think we have to get past the cancel culture vibes to have an open discussion on the impacts and changes in fishing with it being the information age.  I've noticed the effects personally and others have as well.  Instead of tearing people down we need to help them see things from a different perspective. That's going to be the hardest part.
X2
Exactly!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #11448 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Not trying to start anything but its not just YouTube vids. Its social media in general. LG thread by far the most popular. Lots of talk from many members and lots of pics of lakers and perch over the years. You don't think post like this brings new interest from guys?
 Here is your recent post

"Last time I was there 1 week ago I caught 37 and the largest was over 30".  Sure the lake gets pressure and this year has been exceptional but no excuses as Red said the place is literally packed with cookie cutters between 23-25".

Nailed it...

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11449 on: Mar 05, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I agree with the social media/you tube aspect but I think Covid has a lot to do with it also. People are out of work or stressed and are looking for things to do. Bow hunting this year was absolutely insane!! I saw people doing $^%# that made think I was having a nightmare or hallucination. The other lakes I have hit such as Gooodyear and Cossayuna were nuts at first ice! I have heard the same about Oneida and other lakes too. The license sales for 2020 exploded. I can't wait to hit George tomorrow and get way out there but I need to be up at 4 am. If I hit the snooze button twice I will not be able to find a place to park. I found a pile of sheds shed hunting last year and had the woods to myself. This year it seems like a damned Easter egg hunt out there. People have flocked to the lakes and the woods in droves.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11450 on: Mar 05, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Any word on the road coming out Hearthstone  ???

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11451 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:16 PM »
Any sketchy ice along the way or pretty solid? Hoping to get up to LG this afternoon for my first time this year. Have a new ducer to try out too!
Just a few ridges that want to suck you right in where I was today but nothing terrible if you have a spud, she was making out loudly all day tho

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11452 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:47 PM »
Just a few ridges that want to suck you right in where I was today but nothing terrible if you have a spud, she was making out loudly all day tho

Thanks. Went out on the south end this afternoon and she/he was making noise! Always gets my attention.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11453 on: Mar 06, 2021, 04:14 AM »
Thanks. Went out on the south end this afternoon and she/he was making noise! Always gets my attention.
Definitely made some ice and popped some cracks open one formed right off the shoreline while I was out and had to navigate it to get back onto tera ferma

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11454 on: Mar 06, 2021, 08:52 AM »

All social media is contributing but I totally agree about you tube.
Posts in places like IS may get a few thousand views but the canal videos you referenced get millions. Ever since that one popular freshwater water youtuber came across country and accidentally lucked into blitzes of 40 inchers, that place blew up. Just look at the canal videos on YouTube now and see how many are made by guys from thousands of miles away.

My 14 year old is now obsessed with lake Winnipesaukee in NH. He spent hours last night watching you tube videos of the lake and using Google maps to track down landmarks he saw in the background.
There's never been that kind of information available before  even in forums like IS.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11455 on: Mar 06, 2021, 08:57 AM »
I had to stop fishing the canal.  It became counter intuitive to do so.  Other venues including LG are subject to suffer the same consequences.  Maybe worse considering its a town that doesn't really want us there in the first place. 

Smart son Mike!  I remember some guys in mass posting wicked huge pike over and over and over again.  Look back in posts and see which river they were asking about in Maine....look at pics....find the exact corner of the river they were fishing.  Never went but did let them know I figured it out.  Sharing can have a double edged sword.

You clearly have a smart kid...

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11456 on: Mar 06, 2021, 03:33 PM »
Any info on pressure cracks out if Pilot Knob Beach? Would like to fish that area tomorrow.

Thanks is advance.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11457 on: Mar 06, 2021, 07:09 PM »

You clearly have a smart kid...
Thanks. Yup he's smart and a fishing fanatic.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11458 on: Mar 07, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Crush em!  I'm on domestic duties this weekend as it's the gf's birthday.  I'll fish vicariously through you all.

Never live vicariously through me! Fishing partner had a fever Friday, no fishing for this guy today...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11459 on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I'm patiently waiting.  It's been a good weekend to relax. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.