Author Topic: Pulling a Fish Trap Guide??  (Read 3914 times)

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pulling a Fish Trap Guide??
« on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:21 AM »
Hi Guys

I just bought a Fish trap guide and it seems pretty heavy, was wondering if people who own one have a hard time pulling it around by hand? Thanks
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pulling a Fish Trap Guide??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:49 AM »
I pulled mine around all last season.  They pull much easier on ice and snow than they do on grass.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2004, 12:08 PM »
That is comforting. I thought that I bought something that I would hate by the end of the year. The only reason I bought the guide is because my ice fishing partner is my wife and on the cold days without a shelter she lasts a couple of hours. Now she should be able to last longer and I am going to get her to help me pull it around. It seems like the seats add a lot of weight. Can wait for the ice

Sturgeon

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2004, 12:45 PM »
Isn't it funny how we complain about women not lasting long enough, but they also complain we don't last long enough. 

Priorities
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Aaron Wiebe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2004, 12:48 PM »
I dont mind the weight of my FishTrapGuide, but am having a problem with the bottom of the sled. It started wearing thru, so I attached some smooth wood runners, but now they are wearing down and making it harder to pull.
What do you guys use for runners????

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2004, 12:57 PM »
That was my next question. Is it worth buying the runners?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2004, 01:11 PM »
I didn't have much wear on the bottom of my Guide after it's first year.  After reading some posts here, I decided to purchase the Clam runners.  I installed them Tuesday, and it wasn't difficult.  I would think you could get as much protection from a pair of old downhill skis.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I also used the runners from Clam.  I ordered them from Thorne Bros.  I decided since I spent all this money for the Guide what's another $25 to protect the sled.  Hopefully this will add a couple extra years onto the sled. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2004, 03:16 PM »
Glad to see all the comments, I just got a guide and was wondering about
the runners. Glad to hear that is doesn't pull hard.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2004, 04:21 PM »
here is hauling mine

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2004, 09:01 PM »
The Guide is pretty heavy,especially when you get all your gear and auger in it. I am usually on foot and it pulls fine on ice as long as there isnt too much snow. Runners of some kind are a must to keep it from wearing, some use plastic, I used 1/4"X4" aluminum flat bar that I picked up at a local steel supplier for five bucks from thier drops room. Countersink the holes and use fender washers on the inside to hold it on.  Here is a pic and you can also see how I made a connector for a tow bar made out of conduit for pulling with the snowmobile, I got the clips and parts from the local Tractor Supply, about two bucks (not counting the conduit which is about three bucks), just pull the hitch pins and the towbar comes off for pulling by hand.

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2004, 12:35 AM »
I used just the white nylon ones they use on snowmobiles . They are the exact same thing you get if you purchase the slider kit for otter sleighs . Works awesome .

TD

stinky

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2004, 07:03 PM »
 Any and I mean any portable shack should have runners of some sort this will help them pull easier and make the bottom last lots longer. None of the plastic tubs are made to be drug across  sand, ice ,gravel , blacktop, etc This will wear any bottom.
 I do know that if you put the runners on and get yourself a backpack harness and a rope it will pull much easier than by tugging with your arm.
Bob

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:35 AM »
Way to big for pullin by hand , like slipbob said you must be fishing next to the car , or on small lakes . When I use to walk I'd pull a little kids tobbogen , strap a plastic milk crate(storage) on it and one bucket for fisk , a couple of poles , skimmer, hand auger and GO!!! Nothing else so I could get around and cover a lot of ice . By some of the set-ups I see on this site it looks like instead of being mobile , it looks like some people set up for a picnic . 99% of the time I'm out there to just fish with no distractions , the rest social, I can sit home and camp out . Most people on this site carry or pull more than I bring and now I have a choice between a wheeler or a sled , the less the better I say .
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I fished off of Jewel on Oneida Lake a lot last year and had no problem pulling my Guide.  It always had one hand auger, one portable fish graph, six rods, one two gallon minnow bucket, two tackle bags, extra cloths, munchies, drinks, and my five year old son.  The walk is over a mile one way, and it pulled easily without skis.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Thank Otis

I am not as worried as before. Was there lot of snow on the lake. I am going to get the girlfriend to pull it with me. I bought some harness for it should make it easier.

Sturgeon

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2004, 02:44 PM »
It doesn't get a ton of snow, but there are always a few drifts.  I tied an additional rope loop to the existing rope, and placed it over one shoulder and under the opposite arm.  The length of my toe rope was around 12 feet long.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2004, 05:40 PM »
I had to make some runners out of 1/4" diamond plate because the bottom of my Fish Trap was getting REAL thin.  It's ok on ice and snow but is a hassle when dragging it over the gravel in the parking lots.  At least the bottom is protected!

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:35 PM »
Chest harness and a longer rope does the trick.  With a power auger, Vex, tackle, 4 tip ups, 6 rods, lantern, propane, a 3 gal. bait bucket, and a few other goodies I have had no problem even with a bit of snow.  I did run into the nastiest slippery ice last yar and it was a challenge, you could hardly walk without falling (rain on top of snow drifts, then it all froze.)  I have all I need and am very comfortable.  I also have the runner kit on the sled. 

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Cool thank guys, I go the longer rope, harness and bought the vex this year I am all equiped and nowhere to go until we get some ice. Just itching to get out At least I got the ice fishing show in TO this weekend.

Sturgeon

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Last weekend I made a tow bar using 3/4 inch steel pipe.  I cut two five foot lengths, an 18 inch cross brace, and a 15 inch end to connect to the four wheeler.  I pounded the ends flat with a hammer and an anvil, drilled holes and connected the pieces with 1/4 inch bolts.  It ended up looking like a triangle with extensions at each corner.  At the end if the five foot long lengths I bolted on snap clips to connect the bar to the shanty.  I removed the factory rope and added eye bolts (a trick I learned from another post here).  This way I can use a rope for early ice and short walks, and use the tow bar for the long hauls with the four wheeler.  The whole thing cost $16.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:01 AM »
Hello all,

I have the clam 5600 and only made it out once last year.  Didn't have to worry about towing it as it was in our truck as the ice was thick enough for driving.  Early into the hardwater season this year when the ice isn't thick enough I'll be walking so I am considering a good towing method for the shelter.

I was considering using my old taboggon (prolly about 6-7ft long) and bungeeing the shelter on top of that with my ice gear.  Would this be sufficient or do I need to get some runners for the bottom of the shelter instead of using the taboggen? 

I read in this post that someone (apologize for not remembering the username) bought some Clam runners for their shelter through ThornBros - however I'm not seeing these runners on their website nor on Clam Corp's site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
W.F.

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Hey Otis

Did you just bolt the eyebolts directly int he sled? Do you have a PIC or the link to the other posting on the site. This is a good idea.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Hey Otis

Did you just bolt the eyebolts directly int he sled? Do you have a PIC or the link to the other posting on the site. This is a good idea.

Sorry I don't have a pic.  I purchased eye bolts with about 1 inch of thread on them, I removed the factory rope, and used the rope holes for the eye bolts.  I placed a large fender washer on either side of the sled, and used a locknut. The other thread was from LoneWolf about shanty modifications.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:17 AM »
The other post was in the "Ice Shack Tips" on the second page it's called "Tips on Fish Trap".
Follow the bubbles...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.