Author Topic: does blue matter  (Read 3485 times)

Hardwaqterhunter

does blue matter
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:19 PM »
i am an ice fishing rookie. yes i'll admit i suck, but i want to know if it mater what line i use. i have blue ice line on my tip ups. does the color matter, or does it not? ??? :'(

nuke1neil

Re: does blue matter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:43 PM »
CTHWH,i use black or white braided line with a leader of mono 24"-36" long.what are you fishing for?i don't think pike care about color but other fish do.with the mono i'm fishing for panfish.give us a few more details.n1n

nuke1neil

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:45 PM »
P.S. we were ALL rookies at one time!

Hardwaqterhunter

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:49 PM »
nuke1neil i fish for trout, and other panfish. i use blue mono for the leader, not blue braided line. i was wondering if i should change to vanish or other clear line. thanks. ;) :'(

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:29 PM »
I would change to clear line, some days flourocabon actually does make a difference to finicky trout and panfish, they can both be really finicky and hard to catch.
Jason

Hardwaqterhunter

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:17 AM »
THANKS!!!!!!! :D :'(

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2004, 10:35 AM »
I use 30 pound black ice fishing line and I use 24 to 30 inch floro leaders for all my tip ups. And make sure your hooks match the size bait you are using too. Good Luck

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I ALWAYS USE A MONO LEADER OF AT LEAST 4 ' ON MY TIP UPS SO THE FISH DONT SEE THE LINE,I ALSO MAKE SURE MY BACKING LINE IS A LIGHT COLOR SO YOU CAN SEE IT WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE HOLE.WHEN THAT BROOKIE  RUNS I WANT TO KNOW WHICH WAY ;)

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Experiment and see if the fish have a preference. Fluoro,mono,Fireline,see what works for you. Longer leaders in clear water as a general rule. Least amount of split shot you can get away with. Somedays 6lb and 8lb are as different as night and day,always experiment. Goodluck!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

peple of the perch

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:52 PM »
how can the black line work its more noticible

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2004, 03:22 PM »
how can the black line work its more noticible

In the water, some colors are less noticable, and vise versa. This all depends on water clarity, and depth. I've learned from bass fishing that certain lines are good for some conditions, and not good for others. Black line seems to blend in pretty well, unless the water is really shallow. White line seems to work good in the shallows.

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.