Author Topic: How heavy?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
How heavy?
« on: Jan 23, 2004, 10:11 PM »
I have been having a prblem with getting bit off when catching good sized pickerel on tip-ups.  I would switch to a steel leader but the last time I did, the number flags I got went down quite a bit.  I also am catching alot of bass when I'm not getting the pickerel so I don't want to spook them off of the bait.  I have had them(pickerel) bite right through 15 pound test.  If I go to say 25 or 30 # do you think that I will discourage any bass from hitting the bait?
t'pup!

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re:How heavy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2004, 10:58 PM »
If you dont want to go to a steel leader why dont you try a spider wire or spider blend. They seem to be more abrasion resitant.

Ice Troll

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Fishinfool,

Go to this site and check this out. This stuff is awesome and will solve both problems of leader strength and diameter of leader.

www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2004, 04:48 AM »
Fishin fool,
I think 30# floro would be just fine. I use 50# for pike, but I have used 30# on some and it worked fine. I have a question for you. Are you playing the fish? Or just yanking them in? With lighter line, you need to play the fish. If the fish wants to run, then let it. Let the line slip through you fingers and hold a slight tension. When the fish stops, gently pull it back to the hole. The most difficult part for folks is getting the fish out of the hole. Once they get the fish at the hole, they start to yank. That is the wrong thing to do. Slowly work the fishes head up the hole and you will be fine. If it wants to run again, then let it....and work back to the hole.

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2004, 10:34 AM »
Esox, most of the bite offs came on or shortly after the hook set.  I know that two of them were user error as far as knots go, but the other ones were just plain chewed thorugh.  I'll give the flouro a try and see what happens.
Thanks
Jeff
t'pup!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Jeff,
Like I said 30# should be plenty strong for what you are doing. Floro also has a higher abrasion resistence then mono. I've caught several bass on my 50# leaders, so 30# should fine for that as well. Make sure you have some cutters with you for deeply hooked fish....heavy line does a number on you teeth. Don't be like me. ::) ;)

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Esox - I'm LMAO at that photo !  It reminds me of a day in Maine several years back when I had to release an undersized landlocked salmon in the hole (couldn't bring it above the ice for some reason I can't remember now).  I couldn't find my nippers, so I knelt down over the hole and bit him off.  
I must have looked goofy as all he!!, but it definitely made an impression on the guy I was fishing with that day.  

Long live the improvisers and those that folow the rules !
Russellman

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Huh? I thought that's how you precticed CPR?  ;) Oh!...I guess that means catch, photo and release.. :-[ My bad  ;) ;D

PIKEGUY

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Looks like a french kiss :D lol. I have never been bit off using Berkley Fireline. I also use a steel leader and not had flag decreases...I am fishing darker backwaters though. Hope it helps. Good Luck :'( :'(

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2004, 01:18 PM »
i know i'm taking alot of chances this year using light gear and hooks with light mono, but i inspect and change frequently. the way i look at it, is if the fish is big or lucky enough to cut the line, then it deserves its self-release. if i specifically target large fish, then my tactics will change to heavier gear; (18-24" steel leaders) and nothing less. grumpymoe

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2004, 01:32 PM »
hey Esox. judging by that picture , you have the whole concept of CPR all wrong. HAHAHA
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.