Author Topic: Thermal Tip Ups  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Icefreak88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WELL IM GONNA MISS HER
Thermal Tip Ups
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:09 PM »
I got new tip ups for christmas this year and they are the one that are circular and cover the hole so i dont freeze and i was just wondering how they worked.

acsacmboy

Re:Thermal Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:29 PM »
they are supposed to keep the heat in he water(wow thats alot) from freezeing. i heard you have to pack snow around the tipup to make it almost airtight.

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:32 PM »
I used them for 5 years until someone broke into my truck and stole all my gear. I never once burried them in snow and they worked fine for me. Never had a hole ice over.Just my 2 cents.

hardwaterhenry

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:53 AM »
i got 13 of them, keep getting more i fish salmon and pike and don't like changeing my leaders no complaints here, i also have regular polars and wood ones but i like my polar therms they are great

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:25 AM »
I have had mine for many years and love them.  the only time i have put snow around them is when it is very cold and windy.  I have 3 and always watch for when they go on sale.

Cool_Hand_Fluke

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2004, 11:15 AM »
You can do the same thing with the regular Polars...just use black frisbees and cut out a hole and a slot...there you go...instant Thermal.

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:12 PM »
good idea fluke

PIKEGUY

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2004, 12:52 PM »
If the ice is level, I've never had to pack snow around my thermals.  :'(

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2004, 06:18 PM »
  My partner uses, (what he calls), "those orange U.F.O tip-ups" In 20 below weather, we didn't see much of a diff. between regular tip-ups and the UFO's??  Still a good 1/2" of ice cacked around the bottom during our hourly checks.  Not to say they don't work!  Just not in 20 below weather.  They are pretty easy to stack, and have a long extending flag arm on em'  making them unique.
Coldhandfluke, Great idea with the frisbees!  
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.