Author Topic: do you.......  (Read 11168 times)

walleyechaser

do you.......
« on: Sep 20, 2006, 02:58 PM »
run to your flags?  Or do you give them a couple minutes before walking quietly over.

I give them a couple minutes.  (and for the ethics cops the fish rarely swallow the hook).
I've missed too many fish by not allowing them time to turn with the bait.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: do you.......
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Always take my time getting to them.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:11 PM »
If it's hot bite I run around like an idiot... can barely remember the last time that happened :'(

If it's a slow day I amble.  You should see me amble.  I'm a trained professional!  :blink: :woot:
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:27 PM »
depends what im fishing for? pan fish i tend to run, especially when the bite is hot becuase i usually have another flag pop while tending to another, plus with pannies i tend to goof off alot, running and sliding to the tip up etc... but for pike i usually take my time and let them make a run or two with the bait and just hold a little tension on the line :tipup:

PIKEGUY

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:29 PM »
If it's hot bite I run around like an idiot... can barely remember the last time that happened :'(

If it's a slow day I amble.  You should see me amble.  I'm a trained professional!  :blink: :woot:

I bet you can mosey with the best of em too  :woot:

I run then slide  ;D

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I bet you can mosey with the best of em too  :woot:

I run then slide  ;D

My mosey needs a little work actually, but my stumble is spot on. ;)2

:callcops: Hijack warning!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:41 PM »
i think it was me, devil-man, bobman, and icegeek out one day last year and this guy was stalking his tip-up, i crap you not! his flag popped, he came out of his shanty like a bat out of hell then stopped, still 100' from the tip-up and walked very slowly up to about 50' and i mean very slow ??? at this point we are all lost, then he started tip toeing, yes tip toeing to the tip-up, he would stop, squat down, inch forward, take two steps back, squat down, then start circling the tip-up, walk around one way, then the other way ??? take a few steps back, then a few steps forward, a couple steps left, then back to the right, squat, stand, i swear this went on about 10 minutes, seemed like an hour though, then when its all said and done, he walks up to the tip-up and gently pulls it out of the water, gives a couple pulls on the dacron, nothing, he just puts the freaking thing back in the water, lights a smoke and walks back to his shanty ??? **censored**

bobman, icegeek, or devil-man, back me up on this, i know i wouldnt believe anyone if they told me a story like that, but it was absolutely amazing ??? :tipup:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:43 PM »
I like to run to the hole, and then give him some time. I can get a rough measurement of the size of a fish by the amount of line hes taking out. And it really gets the blood flowing. In addition, running to the hole is a great way to warm up on those cold days ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:47 PM »
i think it was me, devil-man, bobman, and icegeek out one day last year and this guy was stalking his tip-up, i crap you not! his flag popped, he came out of his shanty like a bat out of hell then stopped, still 100' from the tip-up and walked very slowly up to about 50' and i mean very slow ??? at this point we are all lost, then he started tip toeing, yes tip toeing to the tip-up, he would stop, squat down, inch forward, take two steps back, squat down, then start circling the tip-up, walk around one way, then the other way ??? take a few steps back, then a few steps forward, a couple steps left, then back to the right, squat, stand, i swear this went on about 10 minutes, seemed like an hour though, then when its all said and done, he walks up to the tip-up and gently pulls it out of the water, gives a couple pulls on the dacron, nothing, he just puts the freaking thing back in the water, lights a smoke and walks back to his shanty ??? **censored**

bobman, icegeek, or devil-man, back me up on this, i know i wouldnt believe anyone if they told me a story like that, but it was absolutely amazing ??? :tipup:

Watching the "tip-up approach dance" is on eof my favorite activities on the ice.  Everybody does it differently and some of them look like numbskulls.  Case in point ::) ::) 

crowkiller

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2006, 04:00 PM »

i would of liked to have seen that act

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2006, 04:24 PM »
i would of liked to have seen that act

it was out on quaker, between the launch and the beach, it was funny as heck :D

crowkiller

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2006, 04:29 PM »
it was out on quaker, between the launch and the beach, it was funny as heck :D
thats as good as the time i was on the catt watching the drunks in the broke down boat

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I usually walk to my tipups unless they are quite a ways away. If I see that the fish is smoking out line then I run.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:39 PM »

Sounds like you should have went over and asked him what kind of..... bait he was using, and if you could try some  :P

As for getting to my tipups, I like to get there quick because I use quick strike rigs with an auto hook-setting set up.  Once they are hooked they tend to go on a good run and can spool you quick, I like to get there before they reach the end at full speed :woot:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:50 PM »
If I am using single hooks, I will watch the spool until the fish "runs". If I am using quick strike rigs for pike, I will pull as soon as I can get to it.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I run till about 50 feet away, then slowly walk up(i think some fish drop it if they hear u run up..but thats just my observations)then if its spinning like none other, i will set it.  If its going slowly i let it stop then the second it starts to go again i whack em  ;D
funniest was some guys out on the ice, drunk as all hell..flag pops we timed it, 4 minutes till they realized flag was up and they BOLTED over..of course stumbling/falling all over the place on the way there  :D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2006, 06:40 PM »
A stealthy trot,,,unless Im racing one of my boys, then its an all out run with a slide that would make any top base stealer jealous.  But thats only once in a while, just to show the kids the old man can still beat em to the flag and they should be thankful for every other one I let them get.....I took a buddy out once, first timer, and he fell hard on his head the first two flags he went after..ouch...I only laughed at him once i saw no blood and that he wasnt un conscious....

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:29 PM »
run or walk huh... I suppose it depends on the day... how much tanglefoot I have had... has it been productive day or hole?

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:42 PM »
A stealthy trot

For some reason that term is extremely funny to me right now! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Is that how Sylvester sneaks up on Tweety ??? ;D

All in good fun, perchnut. ;)

PIKEGUY

« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:10 AM »
he would stop, squat down, inch forward, take two steps back, squat down, then start circling the hydrant, walk around one way, then the other way ??? take a few steps back, then a few steps forward, a couple steps left, then back to the right, squat, stand,

Sounds like Lucas walking home from the bar!  :woot: :woot:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Fpr me If im fishing solo I usually wlak on over and feel the fish out, but when fishing with buddies it's a mad dash, and usually a baseball slide.

walleyechaser

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:30 AM »
my favorite is when some idiot starts yelling "FLAG!!!".  then 30 seconds later  "FLAG!".

another 20 seconds goes by "SOMEONE'S GOT A FLAG!!!!".  When that happens I usually sit in the shanty and laugh at this idiot.  If you don't come out in time they will walk over and start messing with your tip up.
then I come out of the shanty.

I've never used a tip up for pannies.  That seems strange to me.  I don't see how a crappie or big gill would trip it with their light bites.   Enlighten me.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:55 AM »

I've never used a tip up for pannies.  That seems strange to me.  I don't see how a crappie or big gill would trip it with their light bites.   Enlighten me.

I've seen guys around here using the magnetic tip-ups from Frabill for perch and crappies.  Never tried it myself though.

crowkiller

« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:59 AM »
i use tipups to keep people from crowding me i dont even put bait on them   :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:39 PM »
I wonder what a C.O. would say about 15 traps with no holes under them. ;D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:14 PM »
or the 3 portable shantys with no one in them and no hole drilled.... ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:40 PM »
i use tipups to keep people from crowding me i dint even put bait on them   :tip up:
with my luck with the tip ups  they are just lawn ornaments or like last year something for a drunks to run over at 2 am it does keep others from crowding my shack  whole darn lake purposely away from others must be my magnetic personality
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I was out there with Arch that day and this guy indeed went into stealth mode approaching his tipup.  I don't remember if he pulled anything through the ice, so it may bot be the best approach!

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 23, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I usually go at a fast walk and slow down a little bit before the hole. I watch the spool and slowly pull up the trap. I wil hold onto the line if he's not running and make a little tension. If I get tugs back, then a quick snap of the wrist and hope for the best.  :tipup:
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:41 PM »
I'm too old to run ;D.  That's why I picked up a snowmobile this year ;).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.