Author Topic: Ok, this was weird, and a little gross  (Read 2431 times)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, this was weird, and a little gross
« on: Apr 17, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Yesterday about 5:30 I stumbled out of bed and started getting breakfast ready. While half asleep I opened a fridge and a fly appeared to fall out... Or at least hit the floor. I killed it and not knowing where it came from I. Didn't think anything more about it.

This morning 2 fell out. 

This looks like a trend. What the hell? The wife went to the store last night. Did she bring home something from produce with lots of flies in it?

I pull my stuff out of the fridge and on another trip back I open the door and another one falls out. Now it's getting serious. I need to kill them. I look all around the door and got maybe 1 more. I peak under the produce drawers and find 3. I look at the top of the fridge and there are like 6 up there!

I madly start shuffling things around and killing flies.

As I'm moving things around I see a little, uniquely colored blue plastic container like you see fishing worms sold in. Oh yeah, I bought some "grubs"for ice fishing.   FYI, time to get any ice fishing bait out of the refrigerator.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: Ok, this was weird, and a little gross
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2015, 05:46 AM »

After the second fly falling out. I thought of that. Grubs turn in to flies after a while, but your refrigerator had to warm up
        for them to do that. It sure is a funny story as long as it happened to someone else. :woot:

IW

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2015, 06:21 AM »
how did they get out of the container?

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:44 AM »
The lid wasn't as tight as it could have been.  It may have been crunched enough to pop the lid when shoving food into the fridge.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Funniest thing was explaining to the 5 year old why Daddy put flies in the refrigerator.

The wife simply said, "being married to you is always fun."

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:56 AM »
I finally dumped my ice fishing bait the other day. NO fear of any of it getting out since I bought bait pucks. Every thing was dead so nothing was going to fly when I opened the pucks.

Offline let-ca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Thanks for the reminder!  I've got a couple of packages that need to be tossed too!

Offline madflasher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2015, 12:37 PM »
I try to keep mine until ice out and use them for the early spring crappie/ bluegill bite.  sometimes they work better than anything else

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2015, 04:08 PM »
The fish in my farm pond love it when I give them the used bait treat every spring.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Funny.  I had a container of 5 dozen crawlers (big ones) get knocked over by my 3 year old in the fridge when she closed the door.  Several hours later I heard my wife squeak, gasp, slam the door and kindly ask me to clean the fridge.  They managed to make their way all the way onto each shelve and into the crisper drawers.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2015, 09:25 AM »
I had a container with dillies lid closed and in a Ziploc bag in the fridge one time and they still got out! Wife found a few crawling around in the fridge.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2015, 08:51 AM »
my wife hates it when i put crawling things in the fridge. i use the bottom drawer on one side so she knows to not get in that drawer.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2015, 07:48 PM »
        After the second fly falling out. I thought of that. Grubs turn in to flies after a while, but your refrigerator had to warm up
        for them to do that. It sure is a funny story as long as it happened to someone else. :woot:

IW

I agree some how the grubs had to have been warmed up...I had grubs/maggots in my beer fridge for almost 9 months and they just got black & stinky still were in the grub state. Another time I left my bait puck in my floater coat and some of the grubs did transform into a fly within 5 days.

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2015, 07:15 PM »
 :tipup:

LOL  LOL  LOL

Been there and done that many times myself, maybe thats why our wives give us hell for storing bait in the fridge. My favorite one is when I leave a can of red worms in the fridge, and they somehow crawl out of the air holes I put in the coffee can, and all accumulate under the vegetable crisper trays. !

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2015, 09:39 PM »
I bought a dorm fridge just for bait. Wife was onboard from the get go.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Maggots/spikes - fly larvae is exactly what they are. Great fishing bait / wife repellent.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2015, 03:09 AM »
Yup, had that happen!!  I now have a "dorm" fridge in the garage too!!  wife never had a problem with me getting that!!  She never did like "creepy crawly" things in the fridge!!  didn't help when a treasured jar of "green chicken livers" got forgotten in the fridge and popped the lid!!!  I was scrubb'n that fridge out all day to get rid of the smell!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2015, 09:28 AM »
lol, yeah, I just got a reminder last weekend that mealworms turn into beetles  ::)  I forgot the container was even on the workbench in the basement!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I bought a dorm fridge just for bait. Wife was onboard from the get go.

I did that 2 weeks ago. Got a sweet Frigidaire from Best Buy. 4.5 cubic ft with a freezer, 2 glass shelves and a crisper drawer. No more bugs in the big fridge. $200 solved the problem, plus I can keep my beer in it!  ;D

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2015, 01:46 PM »
What temperature do you keep  it at?  I keep mine in my mini-fridge.  Everything gets shoved to the back of my kitchen fridge and I find it bothersome/gross to dig out old bait.

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I would keep it between 34 and 40 degrees.  You don't want to freeze them and you don't want them turning into nettles and flies to fast either.  Good luck.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #21 on: Jun 10, 2015, 11:40 AM »
every time the wife and I go camping, I put a container of night crawlers in the fridge of the 5th wheel. she knows that I do this and doesn't care because I always take the boat, and fish. But when she opens the worm container looking for something for dinner, the whole campground knows about it. then she knows what container they're in.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2015, 02:50 PM »
What temperature do you keep  it at?  I keep mine in my mini-fridge.  Everything gets shoved to the back of my kitchen fridge and I find it bothersome/gross to dig out old bait.

I haven't checked with a thermometer yet. Just been messing with the lo-med-max knob. I froze a dozen crawlers with the max setting so now I'm at med and they are keeping nicely. I plan to use a thermometer for the mags tho, to get the most keep time and really dial it in. I'll post if I get anything solid figured out.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.