The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Traverse city area  (Read 462 times)

Offline Wolfman2113

• IceShanty Rookie
Traverse city area
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Looking to get some good information about northern parts of Michigan around traverse city! Really wanna try glen lake and some of the others around it but I’ve never been up for ice fishing season. Any tips or guide suggestions would be great!

Offline Simek86

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Traverse city area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:42 AM »
This time of year, its probably best to call bait shops. Sportsmans Shop, Empire Outdoors, Tag Limit Outdoors, or follow Buc's bait on facebook, as he often has good local reports. Unfortunately, they will all probably tell you nothing is safe yet.  As of this morning a lot of little lakes are iced over, but I imagine ice thickness is minimal, as the same lakes were mostly open earlier this week. I think fellow fisherman stay pretty tight lipped this time of year, as they probably should. First ice can be sketchy up here as most of the lakes have several springs and streams coming in and out. We also got at least 6" of snow yesterday, which certainly wont help make ice.

LC, BC, and GT county all offer great fishing through most of the winter. You have to put the time in, probably do some sorting, and fishing pressure can be heavy depending on where you go. However, there is a lot of fish, and pretty much anywhere you go is insanely beautiful. Good luck out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.