The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: linwood  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
linwood
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 11:39 AM »
I'm planning on a couple trips out of linwood this year. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot but id appreciate any general information and areas to fish.

Thanks.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: linwood
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:32 AM »
to the left of the marina seem to do pretty good there

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:53 AM »
There will be guys anywhere and everywhere out there! Just need to find a school. Often times you will find a large congregation of shanties in an area if the school is hanging in one spot...instead of driving right in the middle of the pack try staying a few hundred yards away. I have had many good days doing this. Otherwise go try and find your own school, its much more rewarding! Just have to be willing to move. Give an area 10 minutes and if nothing is going on then move.

Offline martini77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:06 AM »
It depends on what you are targeting and how far you want to travel and the ice conditions when you go and what you are using to travel with.  Perch can be had in shallow not that far from the launch.  walleye are typically targeted 1-7+ miles out in varying directions.  There is a lot of folks that launch from there, so follow the highway and branch off someplace and try your luck.  Snowmobile is the easiest way to travel IMO, if there are cracks that form (which happens every year) they can be trickier to cross on a quad.  Good luck!

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Went out of Linwood last year for the first time....went to a random waypoint from the summer 6.5 miles out via snowmobile.  Never had to drill another hole.  Took all day but caught my 8 walleye limit...lots of shorts a couple perch and white bass as well.  Crossing the pressure crack was no problem with a snowmobile....just pin it!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Thanks guys. I will likely be using my studded track pantera 2up with a buddy. possibly a small group of guys. I appreciate the tip about the schools. I'll continue to research as we go. I'm wondering if it will be fishable by christmas?

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Personally I wait until the entire Bay is locked up, that way you don't have to worry about the wind blowing you out into Huron on a iceberg.  Last year I went on Jan 26th....20"+ of ice 6.5 miles out.

You can check satellite photos (on clear days) here... https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:43 PM »
I usually head out of the marina on foot and go about a half mile....  Some days are better than others
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Canvsbk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05:08 PM »
They say Linwood is the busiest ramp east of the Mississippi. I believe it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I just heard that Neuman road is closed off this year.  Apparently one of the landowners near the bay blocked it off so that you can't park on the ice.  It was stated that he was tired of the mess that was being made and the traffic.  Sucks, every year there are less access points to the bay,  making it where you either have to fight a crowd or travel further to get to the better fishing.  I guess I don't know how you can block off land, at the end of a road and the shore line.  I would think the state or county would have the right of way, but guess not!  Well, at least until its challenge.  We will have to see what transpires.   

It's bound to happen. I'd get tired of picking up after "people" too.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:23 AM »
They say Linwood is the busiest ramp east of the Mississippi. I believe it.

With Neuman road and Sunset Marina closed, Linwood is going to be a bigger zoo than it already was. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:07 AM »
watch for the village of guys

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Everyone and their brother parks at the end of linwood rd.... Last year i seen over 100 trucks at one point... The marina gets busy but not as bad.... If the ice gets real good thisbyear we can drive out and avoid all the parking unloading and hauling hassle.... Fingers crossed but i aint holding my breath!
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Emex1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Any good ice yet

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I just heard that Neuman road is closed off this year.  Apparently one of the landowners near the bay blocked it off so that you can't park on the ice.  It was stated that he was tired of the mess that was being made and the traffic.  Sucks, every year there are less access points to the bay,  making it where you either have to fight a crowd or travel further to get to the better fishing.  I guess I don't know how you can block off land, at the end of a road and the shore line.  I would think the state or county would have the right of way, but guess not!  Well, at least until its challenge.  We will have to see what transpires.   

You Can post(but not required) and prevent access across Private Property, you Can Not block off a public road that includes any road designed for public traffic maintained or not.  You can request no parking zones around residences for drive way easements, etc. but those have to be approved by the local zoning commission.  I know there are a lot of bigger legal terms and cases that have been fought but pretty sure this covers 99% of the statement. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.