Author Topic: Reading a lake map  (Read 5141 times)

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reading a lake map
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Going to be doing some fishing a local lake for walleye - and want to make sure I'm reading the lake map correctly.  I'll be accessing the lake from the North and planned on fishing the flats in the 10 -15 range, the 15-20 and 20-25 in hopes of there still being some weeds there for baitfish to be clinging too.  I don't have a snowmobile so walking is kind of a pain but I would possibly walk out to the finger and fish the ledge and around the finger if fishing gets slow.  Any advice?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Reading a lake map
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:55 AM »
The first thing that I do when I get a map of a lake is make copies.
When I'm "researching" a lake, I want to find area(s) to start my fishing for the day, but I don't want to waste a lot of time and energy.

Take a copy of your map, highlight the depths from 10 to 15 feet (yellow) and the depths from 20 to 25 feet (red).
Draw in the rock piles and weed beds, this will help to eliminate unproductive water in a hurry.

Put this together with any information you may have from other sources, and you can figure where to start in a hurry.

I would start on the sharp breaks into deep water that come out onto a flat.  Concentrate on the inside turns, and any structure that you may have on the drop offs.

Gravel, rocks, weeds etc.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Remember punch holes from shallow to deep as fish move out as the day gos on.
If using a power auger punch all holes rite away.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline bjones1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:08 PM »
when i look at a map i look for those sharp breaks and structure, sharp breaks for walleye especially. lakes that have a stream coming into them i pay attention to those areas as well. on the map that is pictured i would focus on the south to south west side of that lake as far as the depths are concerned. would i be wrong to concentrate my efforts there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.