Author Topic: spearing  (Read 8490 times)

walleyechaser

spearing
« on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:17 PM »
does anyone spear pike anymore?  I haven't done it in years but man was it a blast watching those big fish come in.  I just don't hear anyone talk about it anymore.  I would still do it if there was a more portable way to do it.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: spearing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:45 PM »
I see a dozen or so guys every year doing it. I have never myself, but would like to one time?

It seems pretty cool
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:09 PM »
I grew up in western MN and when I lived there I used to spear pike. Its a whole lot of fun, its kinda like bow hunting for whitetails. We had small 4' by 6' shanties that where painted black on the inside with a 2' by 4' hole to look down thought.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I spear every winter, and I really enjoy it(hence the name Darkhousefisher).  The only problem with spearing here in Montana is it's hard to find clear water with pike in it.  Mainly I just love the solitude and zoning out watching the "Norwegian T.V.".  It's neat to watch all the different fish swimming under you.

Darkhouse

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:32 AM »
I spear every winter, and I really enjoy it(hence the name Darkhousefisher).  The only problem with spearing here in Montana is it's hard to find clear water with pike in it.  Mainly I just love the solitude and zoning out watching the "Norwegian T.V.".  It's neat to watch all the different fish swimming under you.

Darkhouse

That sounds like it would be right up my alley.  Never tried it though.  It's illegal here, except for sturgeon. :-\
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Lots of guys do it around here.

Some lakes it is not allowed (those that contain muskies).

Offline pray for the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Here on upper red, spearing was just catching on, some HUGE gaters in these waters. But the DNR went and put a protective slot on the northerns of 26 to 40 inches ???. Anyone know a good way to tell if it is over 40"?

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:37 PM »
I love spearing.  Actually, if I didn't have a spear and just got watch them come in after the decoy, I would probably like it just as much. 

pray for the fish, I write the lenght of my decoy on the top of my decoys so I can get a rough idea of how big the pike is, but thats just a rough measure. 

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Here on upper red, spearing was just catching on, some HUGE gaters in these waters. But the DNR went and put a protective slot on the northerns of 26 to 40 inches . Anyone know a good way to tell if it is over 40"?

Thats good to hear, it will help to keep a healthy population of those long lived monsters.  And you're right it would be hard to tell if one is over 40, unless its really huge.  I am quite pleased to see as of this year a similiar slot on a big northern lake I fish, any over 30" has to go back. And theres really no reason to keep them bigger than that anyways.  8)

Offline pray for the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Maybe we could use a rubber spear, for catch and release spearing ;D

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:11 PM »
I've never done it but it sounds like fun and a challenge

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Norwegian TV

As was said the closest thing is bow hunting for deer. You sit with your spear ready and when one comes to the decoy your heart races like buck fever.

No catch and release though.

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:50 PM »
no kiddin haha

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I'm looking at refinishing my spear this year, I've been neglecting it and there is some rust on the shaft and tines. 

Is there an accepted "BEST" color to paint the spear after I clean the surface rust off?

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Paint it with blood.. pike blood that is :)

I like black or red.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.