Author Topic: tipups  (Read 1884 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
tipups
« on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Hey guys

just wondering why im missing so many pike on my tipups??

how do u hook the deadbait? etc. etc.

any info would be greatly appreciated!''

thx.   :tipup:

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: tipups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:15 AM »
I usually use a "quick strike" rig for the bait on my tip ups.

I have a treble hook which I hook into the cheek of the minnow, and a small single hook that I hook just through the skin on the back of the minnow.

One quick jerk should be enough to tear the hooks free.  If not, you have the bait hooked too deep.

The treble hook I put in the cheek because Northern take the bait head first.  I like the barbs pointing to the rear of the minnow.
That way when a fish takes it and I set the hook, they are in the best possible position for hooking.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I use a similar set up, trebles front and back.  I bend one of the hooks 90 degrees to the other to and use that one to do into my bait.  Last year was the first time did this and had more hook ups than previous years.
Blake from Elbow

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Just wondering if someone could post a pic of their setup for tipups using 6-8" deadbait...because I'm getting alot of flags and zero fish!!!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:41 PM »

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:47 PM »
so then does it hang vertical??

thx.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I would use swedish hooks for dead bait. I have rarely missed a pike.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I've always used just a single treble and done just fine, even w/ large suckers (but that's all live bait).  Does anybody use quick-strike rigs w/ the large suckers if they're still alive?  I just started using larger bait last year w/ some pretty good results... just wondering if I got lucky last year w/ the single treble (size 8-10). 

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I just use one treble with bait in the 6-8" range, hooked just in front of the dorsal fin so it hangs horizontal.  I use quickstrikes only with my bigger bait, 10-12" stuff.

Offline dsids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:33 PM »
I use a pair of #8 trebles as a quick strike rig, one left sliding on the leader, and one tied on the end. Hook one point of each treble in the bait.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Quick strikes are the way to go........ a pair of 2x strong #6s is more than enough for up to 14" bait and mid 40" fish.

You can bend hooks out if you want but I usually nick 'em in just enough to hold the bait. It ain't gonna swim away  :P

Nice pic nocod, where do you get the mackerel?

Whale1979 - don't worry too much about how they hang......... dude, they're DEAD! ;) Seriously, think about how you've seen dead fish in the water. Nose down, nose up, upside down, on their side......... pike know exactly what they're eating and they really don't care. If you insist, you can hook up your dead like in the pic and poke a 16p nail up the vent for weight and it will tend to lift the nose a bit.

And stumpjumper, no offense, but if you plan on releasing any of your catch to either grow up or conserve the resource, Swedish hooks are proven fish killers. Because of the way they hook (by leverage) lots of brain and spinal damage is incurred that is not always instantly fatal. Fish released that have been caught by this method do not do well.

I know they are traditional and effective, but if you intend to release any of your catches please consider trying a quick strike.

markrazzy - I use Q/S rigs for bigger shiners, suckers and chubs. Seems like a single hook is OK for bait that is a quick snack, but at about 5-6 inches live bait will support a couple of hooks. My Q/S rigs for live bait up to 10" are a pair of 3x strong #10s. This rig has also been "pressure tested" by 20 pounders.

Just my opinion based on my experience, user mileage may vary........

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishingplumber28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:39 PM »
i have had good luck with the mustad pike harness (Canadian tire) with a frozen anchovies. one hook behind the head and the other in the tail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.