The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: trapping bait while fishing?  (Read 455 times)

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
trapping bait while fishing?
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:02 PM »
What's up guys quick question any of you which I'm sure yes trap bait while your fishing?if so do you have any luck ?and what depth seems to work best right under the ice or what?
Off to walk on water

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: trapping bait while fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I trap mostly all my bait before first ice in streams and rivers and farm ponds, I have jigged up  golden pond shiners for pike at night using glow in the dark small small small jigs.Overall what im getting at is i do not trap bait while i fish but its worth the try ... good luck
Drill um and fill um........

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:42 PM »
down on the cape i catch tiny perch and use them...i saw a tiger trout caught on 1
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I've done that a lot lookin for varies.I'm talkin about just finding some structure drilling and tossing a shiner trap ....I don't see y it wouldn't your there all day why not replace what ya use
Off to walk on water

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Yes I do, all year round. I tend to have the best luck deep or in heavy cover during the day, right under the ice at night. But hands down the most effective way to catch bait under the ice is with my jigs. I can catch more goldens then will fit in a trap sometimes. If they are biting real good and a decent size you could use a sabiki or just a couple of drop shots in a row. I use the egg hooks in 16 or 18 if I can find them and tip them with a spike.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I gotta get my azz in gear here starting this late in the year.I'm gonna have that trap in the water ASAP and as much as possible.I have a few nice farm ponds on private property on my street I'm gonna stop and ask if they minded if I dropped a few traps.as far as jigging em up I wouldn't kno edge to start ...never had any luck jigging so I don't but if someone wants to drop me a pm on what and how to use I would love to learn .the price of bait is unreal and I fish pretty much everyday we have walkable ice.Any help would be awesome I'm goin broke buying bait .!
Off to walk on water

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:39 PM »
I would love to learn how to jig them up! I am just starting to learn how to trap them but haven't had much luck yet.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I've trapped as a kid just enough to go and fish with...never tryin to stockpile em up.had decent luck as a kid trapping so we'll see never did it thru the ice.
Off to walk on water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.