The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trapping Bait Info  (Read 927 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Trapping Bait Info
« on: Oct 02, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Hi all,

Im gunna strat trapping my own bait this year. When is the best time to start (now,mid oct, early nov?)?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trapping Bait Info
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:05 AM »
I don't know anything about this. It seems like a ton of work though considering the trapping,storing, and maintaining of bait.  :-\
Cheers,

Pete

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:11 AM »
The work aint bad. I kept my own bait last year. I gott hooked up by a fellow shanty member, so trapping my own wasnt needed.
But i have the tank, filter, chemicals allready. So its just a matter of catching bait. I can easily keep about 25 doz shiners in my tank.
I may start trapping this weekend and see how it goes. It easily pays for its self the first year you do it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I would consider it if I had the space, but living in the city, I am happy to pay someone else to do the smelly work!   :P
Cheers,

Pete

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2012, 09:56 AM »
The work aint bad. I kept my own bait last year. I gott hooked up by a fellow shanty member, so trapping my own wasnt needed.
But i have the tank, filter, chemicals allready. So its just a matter of catching bait. I can easily keep about 25 doz shiners in my tank.
I may start trapping this weekend and see how it goes. It easily pays for its self the first year you do it.

Start looking now so you can find a couple of good spots.  I don't start keeping until the end of Nov. when the temps. are down some in the basement and the time is approaching.  The longer you keep them the more waste build up, chance for disease etc.

How long before this one heads to Live bait and Plastics?  I'm just not going to bother if this keeps up.  I wounder if IceShanty is trying to discourage posters during the off season?

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:32 AM »

How long before this one heads to Live bait and Plastics?  I'm just not going to bother if this keeps up.  I wounder if IceShanty is trying to discourage posters during the off season?

Don't let The Man get you down, Capt!

It takes some time and effort to find the honey holes for bait, but once you find the really good ones, you're pretty much guaranteed to have bait for life unless you take too many breeders out. I had a tank for a couple of years, but they kept dieing on me because I was too busy fishing to do water changes and clean the filters enough. I just put the trap out every week or so last year, and I had plenty of bait every time I went out. They're also used to the cold water temps if you pull them out of cold water, so you don't even need to temper them when you get to the pond.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:17 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118602.0

Here's a bait keeping guide I came up with a few years ago. I've been maintaining aquariums for over 20 years. If anyone has questions, shoot me a PM!  ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Are you kidding?  ::)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Are you kidding?  ::)

I'm not doing any thing to you Mark, mind your own business.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I'm not doing any thing to you Mark, mind your own business.

It was a serious question. Do you really think IS is trying to keep posts down during the off season? Why would they do that?

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2012, 09:10 PM »
here's my .02....  start trapping now, the nights are cool enough where they are going to stop eating.....  and it's going to start getting harder to trap bait.... annndddd why would someone like myself, an avid fisherman, post on an ice fishing site in the middle of august when im trolling leadcore, over its sister site myfishfinder.....  just sayin....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.