The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trapping bait  (Read 647 times)

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
Trapping bait
« on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Checked my trap after being in for a week and frozen under ice. Total got about twenty tadpoles with tails ranging from an inch to 5 inches long. 1 tiny catfish prob 1 inch and the grand prize this little guy threw everything back except for the shiner going to see how long he survives in my bait tank the little black spots are actually on the fish anyone know what type this is?

Offline Pike Bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • May the PIKE be with you!
Re: Trapping bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Looks like an emerald shiner.....I've noticed some black specks on some of my shiners also.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:14 AM »
not an emerald. a comman shiner with black spot desease. doesant really affect them though.

Offline icubist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:01 PM »
That's an Arkansas shiner with parasites. I bet his fins are tired. lol
Don't be an ass, pick up your trash!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Can you use the tadpoles/ polliwogs as bait these are the perfect size 3-5 inches no feet yet?    Read online you could use frogs no bigger then 5 inches I think it said can someone confirm this?

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Says you can use a frog smaller then 2.5 inches about to vent length. What's a frogs vent? Is it the frogs butthole can't did anything online

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Says you can use a frog smaller then 2.5 inches about to vent length. What's a frogs vent? Is it the frogs butthole can't did anything online

Yup. Also called the 'off ramp'.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:36 PM »
hahaha i think tadpoles suck for bait tryed many time and never get a hit on them but that crayfish is real good bait sometime out fishes shinners

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.