The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Treble hook question  (Read 2571 times)

Offline safebet

• IceShanty Rookie
Treble hook question
« on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Not sure if I believe him or not, but a person I was fishing with was telling me that you can not use treble hooks on tip ups in MASS. , I thought he was full of it. I've always fished with single hooks.  He said you can only have 5 "hooks" in the water, I only fish with 5 tip ups so I never broke any rules. But if I put treble hooks on would that be against the rules?

Offline crazycrawler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike17.0 Steely9.8 Bass6.9 Brood8.0 Crappie17.5
Re: Treble hook question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Not against the rules  :tipup:

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Nope they count as a single hook...see mass abstract

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:05 PM »

Definition of a "HOOK" in Mass.
« on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:52 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been following various threads under a couple of different states relative to the definition of a hook. In Mass, we are allowed to have up to 5 hooks in the water for ice fishing. I noticed in several threads that people were using double and treble hooks as well as quick strike rigs and I wanted a clear understanding of what is legal here in Mass. I have copied the questions I asked as well as the response I recieved from MassWildlife below. Simply, any "setup" designed to catch a single fish meets the definition of one hook regardless of the actual number of "hook points".

My E-mail read as follows:
 I have been ice fishing for many years and was always under the understanding that “five hooks” meant that you can have up to five single hooks (points) in the water at any one time. You can have five tip-ups with one hook each or less with more than one hook such as a quick strike rig. My questions are:

·         Does a treble hook count for three hooks or one?

·         Does a quick strike rig with two hooks or with one single and one treble hook count for more than one hook?

I have asked many people and received many differing opinions. Once and for all, I would like to get a clear “legal” opinion since I really don’t want to try anything other than what I have been doing without knowing the correct interpretation of the definition of a “hook”. I am pasting in the definition of a “hook” from the Mass website and it is not clear as to whether a treble hook or quick strike rig (more than one hook on a line) constitutes more than one “hook”.

Hook means an angling device which is attached to a fishing line and which is designed to take one fish at a time, including, but not limited to, devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs, or plugs, the purpose of which is to capture the fish by enticing it to take the device into its mouth, thereby engaging the fish upon it.
If I were to interpret the statement literally, then as long as my set-up was not designed to catch more than one fish at a time (either a treble hook or a quick strike rig fit this definition) it would be legal. I also realize that in other states, adding such things as a small flasher to a quick rig makes it a lure and not a hook, etc. This gets quite confusing and has created a stir in the various fishing blogs so your help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your response, MS.

Mass WIldLife's response to me:
Mike Souza,
You are correct in your interpretation of the Massachusetts laws, a treble hook is considered one hook because it is designed to catch one fish, same for the quick strike rig. Look at the popper lures and other fish like lures with 1 or 2 treble hooks—it’s a device designed to catch one fish, therefore it is considerd to count as one hook.
Basically the question that needs answering about any rig is:  Is it designed to catch only 1 fish?  If the answer is Yes, then the rig/hook etc is considered 1 hook by law.
We can’t advise you about other state’s laws obviously, but you are correct in the assumptions you have made for Massachusetts.  Feel free to share this on fishing blogs!

www.mass.gov/masswildlife

Subscribe to MassWildlife News, a free electronic monthly newsletter updating you on research, events, new laws and other agency activities.  All you need to do is send an email to:

[email protected]

MassWildlife serves you from the following  Offices: 
Western District, Dalton 413/684-1646--Conn.Valley District , Belchertown 413/323-7632--Central District, W. Boylston 508/835-3607--Northeast District, Acton 978/263-4347--Southeast District, Bourne 508/759-3406

Westborough Field Headquarters 508-389-6300

Make an Investment in Massachusetts' Wildlife and Habitat Management--Purchase a fishing or hunting license, make a donation to the Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Fund or the Wildlands Fund

Offline safebet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Thanks, that is the exact 3rd person explanation I was looking for. Ithink i will print this up and keep it in my bag, if this issue ever comes up again.

Thanks Again
Safebet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.