Author Topic: Frabill Ranger Solo Transport Runners  (Read 10469 times)

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Frabill Ranger Solo Transport Runners
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:47 PM »
I bought a Frabill Ranger Solo Flip over shanty last winter and I LOVE IT.  There is only one thing that I did not like.  It is a little heavy and is not the easiest to pull through slush or snow.

I put together a couple of easy to make runners that lift the sled a couple inches off the ice.  It makes a big difference!  I can now pull this fully loaded with one finger.

I will use the runners for the transport out to the fishing grounds.  They slide on and off very easy... only takes a few seconds for each one.

I took 4 pieces of 3/4" EMT conduit and attached two per side to the sled.  I then took 2 90 degree 1/2" bend EMT conduit, 1 short piece (around 11 3/8") length of 1/2" EMT conduit, a couple of wood dowels (1/2") and assembled a runner for each side.

The "U" shaped runner slips into the 3/4" conduit and is held in place by gravity.  I guess a locking pin or something could be used if this becomes a problem.

Once I reach the area I will be fishing I just step on the runner, lift the side of the sled and they fall out.  I often make long "moves" when out on the ice and this is going to make those hikes much easier.  I will attach a few photos just in case my "verbal" description is not cutting it.

Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Frabill Ranger Solo Transport Runners
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:20 AM »
I've got a solo too, but the only reason I have trouble pulling my sled is because I have too much crap in it. I've learned to lighten the load and it's no problem at all. Actually, the seating system is probably one of the heaviest things of all. You'd think that they could come up with something a little lighter. At least it works and is moveable.
It's a pretty slick idea you came up with though and the good thing is that it saves the bottom of your sled from wear. No need for those wear strips on the bottom of yours. Thanks for the pics.

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try in deep snow yet.  I guess you are right...extensions.  OR  attach some old skis to the bottom of the conduit?

Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:23 PM »
It would be interesting because I just got a clam corp Yukon this year its great in snow up too 3-4" after taht i think its gonna be a royal pain too pull so im jsut curiousif this conduit will work well in deeper snow :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2005, 05:19 PM »

I think that is the greatest idea!!   Heading down tomorrow to get some conduit!!  Thanks for the awesome idea!!

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Should work for a XLTwin also, yes? Strange that Frabill doesn't offer slides for their product line.

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:49 PM »
My girlfriend's Dad has the XLT Twin, that thing pulls like crap.You are wore out before you start fishing if
you have a long walk.He has tried a few different things to help it,so far he has'nt been satisfied.
I think he just likes to putter with it.It weighs 90lbs before you even put anything in it.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Neat Idea...

After leaving Emmonds Lake last Monday, I had to walk through some slushy snow. I believe it caked up on the bottom cause it felt like someone just hopped inside and I was pulling it along.

Thanks for the tips.

Stan

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:32 AM »
If they fall out, you could drop some Eye screws into the middle of the runner on the top side and then wrap a bungee cord between the 2 eyes over the top of the shanty, or to the edge of the shanty....

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:56 AM »
how long a piece of cnduit was that that was bent or added the bend? I am hoping to get away with using 2 5' pieces

Offline blackcatcharter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:52 PM »
IceBob, I own a Ranger solo and as soon as I saw the runner system you put on your solo I built the identical system on my solo.  Thank you very much for coming up with that idea and putting it on a thread.  I've never had it so easy pulling my solo across P.I. bay or Justic lake.  You are the man!

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:30 AM »
IceBob,

This was a true invention.  I can see how it all works with the pictures.  I do not know where you are using the wooden dowls.  Or pehaps they are the extentions inside the elbow?  Anyways love the idea and thank you very much.
Fish On!

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:22 PM »
The wooden dowels are used inside the emt conduit to connect elbows to straight piece.  Just added screws through emt into dowel to secure.

If I had access to a pipe bender I could have used a single piece of emt for the whole "U".  So instead it is 2 90 degree elbows and short straight piece of emt and a dowel at each connection and a couple zip screws for each runner. 

With the runners on I can pull the sled with one finger.  It was always in my plans to add skis to the bottom of the conduit, but never got around to it.  Luckily have not really run into pulling sled on deep snow.
Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:11 AM »
I have a Yukon tent on a Team Wild sled w homebuilt hardware.  Weighs about 65lb dry.  Loaded with all my gear, well over 110. 1st time out it took two of us 30 min with extreme exertion to cover 200 yds, each way in 5 in of snow.  Next day I bought some 3/4 in conduit, bent it around a Y in a tree (too impatient to find someone w a bender) and attached to side of sled like I've seen others on here do.  Now it sits 8 in above the surface, glides easy with one hand and I don't worry about hauling too much.  Only drawback is they don't work on dry asphalt.  Ok since I have hyfax runners that do and just put the conduits on at ice.  Later I'll class it up with a new set of properly bent pipes, but for now it works great.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Gents,

Thanks for the great replies.  I am going to the hardware store tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Fish On!

Offline KP-5G

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2023, 11:28 AM »
Does anybody have pics of some setups? I have a 2 man frabill that’s about 6 years old it’s not too light especially after a bucket of live bait in a little water with a bubbler/heater/sonar/tackle/rods/beverages/extra gas…. You get the point. I don’t have any problem on ice or the slicked over snow but powder or wet but not frozen snow is toughhhhhhh. Anyone have anything that works well on 3-8” of loose powder or thick wet snow?????

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2023, 11:44 AM »
KP-5G

Adding Hyfax will help ..But a Smitty sled is the way to go  the job done

Quick takeaways  DOWN HILL skies ..14-16 foot rope tied to the tips of the skies ..6" risers will get

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.