Author Topic: Portable flip-up cover idea ?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Portable flip-up cover idea ?
« on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:14 AM »
I placed this idea in the INVENTIONS Forum , but thought this may also be appreciated in the EQUIPMENT Forum . I bought a cover for my UTV a couple of years ago . Seeing these flip-up shelters got me to thinking that the UTV cover would make an excellent cover for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . My UTV is 8 feet long X 60 inches wide and 6 ft. 2-3 inches tall . The cover has vent pockets and a elastic hem on the bottom that stretches the whole way to the ground . It's also made of a heavy condura type material . Best of all I paid $50.00 about 5 years ago . Now they have 4 seater UTVs that are 10 - 12 feet long and 6 feet wide ! A cover for a 4 seater would be huge ! If anyone tries this for a project , please post up your progress . Best regards .

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Portable flip-up cover idea ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:53 PM »
instead of using that cover for a flip over house just get one of these for the UTV :

www.canvascraftinc.com/boat-and-recreation/galleries/northlander-uvs
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:02 PM »
2000 dollars for a flip over.   That guy is on crack

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:07 PM »
2000 dollars for a flip over.   That guy is on crack

I'll 2nd that.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I'll 2nd that.

I hope you gentlemen both have good paying jobs like the men and women who work for Canvascraft in the USA.  If you’re willing to drop 12-14K on a UTV, what’s another 2K?  That mindset is what has caused the mass exodus of high paying manufacturing jobs to China.  I’m sorry... This is a sore spot for me.  I happen to own a manufacturing company in PA that competes directly with China and Southeast Asia.  It’s very difficult to pay my employees a ‘living wage’, and great health insurance and still remain competitive with the Chinese.   Rant over and my apologies.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:22 PM »
didn't say I would buy one personally. I too think the price is over the top for the size of the fishable area you get with it (5' X 5'). I was simply making a point that if you can afford to buy a $15,000 to $28,000 UTV that the extra $2000 is minimal if you finance the whole machine and everything you add on to it. only would add like $40 to $50 per month to the payment. that's if you wanted to add one of these.  Canvas Craft is a local company here in Minnesota. Not all their stuff is over priced.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:28 AM »
I actually do have a UTV , but it's not even close in price to the new high performance machines that have taken over the industry of today . My pockets aren't that deep for either those machines or the accessory flipdown shelter . Hence the reason I mentioned a homemade shelter cover . Although I absolutely agree on USA companies competing with china . I've worked in the Steel industry for 30+ years now . Every time congress applies new tariff , Asia finds a new way around it . Under this new Pro American administration , we're hoping companies will start migrating back to USA soils to provide living wage jobs . Hopefully that will increase demand for our steel products . Fingers crossed .

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:25 AM »
So you're stuck having to take your UTV, can't use it before you get adequate ice.   Pay less than half for a very good Otter Hut.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I would bet there are a bunch of folks on IS who would love being stuck with a UTV.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:28 PM »
So you're stuck having to take your UTV, can't use it before you get adequate ice.   Pay less than half for a very good Otter Hut.

Nahhh , I wouldn't take it on Pa. ice if I was allowed to . I personally don't believe our ice gets thick enough for a 1500 pound machine plus equipment . My original comment was to use the cover for a project .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.