Author Topic: Uncle Shorty's Pie  (Read 1291 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Uncle Shorty's Pie
« on: Nov 04, 2020, 11:43 PM »
So good it'll make ya wanna lay down and SCREAM!!!

Line a 9" pie pan with a crust.  Fry 4 to 6 rashers of bacon.  Chop the bacon rough.  Reserve the bacon grease, (otherwise known as "nectar of the gods"...)  Take a tablespoon of bacon grease and heat on high until it's almost smokin'.  Reduce heat to medium high.  Season 1 cup diced onion, 8 oz sliced mushrooms,  and 1 cup frozen corn with salt and pepper.  Saute  until veg release their moisture and  onions begin to carmalize., stirring regularly  to prevent sticking.  Scrape the fond often and recycle it to the pan while sautéing.  There's oodles and scads of flavor in those scrapings, don't lose it.  Add 1/2 cup red wine to the pan and deglaze it and reduce liquid by half.  Reserve the liquid.  Add 2 tblspns bacon grease to the pan, now over medium heat. Add 2 tblspn flour and whisk for two minutes to make a roux.  Add milk, about 3/4 c to begin with, whisking continuously.  Add the deglaze liquid.  Add more milk a little at a time as needed to form a thick gravy.  Stir 1 tblspn butter into the gravy.  Grate 3 oz of swiss cheese, or whatever you like, (havarti  for me)  Mix the veg, cheese & bacon with the gravy.  Pour into the pie shell.  Top with a seond crust Use your auger to drill a couple steam vent holes in the top crust... or just slit the top a couple times with a knife...  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the bottom crust is done and the top is golden.  Serve with a tomato/cucumber salad and biscuits and cornbread for soppin'.  Cold beer, acourse...

If you make this in an aluminum disposable loaf pan you can take it out on the ice and re-heat it any number of ways.  And remember:  If you eat this every day you'll never get old... you'll die first...

Recipe by Uncle Shorty, The German Cajun
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Uncle Shorty's Pie
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2020, 05:29 AM »
interesting but I though it was going to be fish pot pie. ;D  I bet its good shorty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.