Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536731 times)

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #60 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Upper twin has bluebacks? I've always got them in lower but didn't even know upper got kokanee plants. I'll have to give it a shot this year!

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Went to gamlin about five inches 100 feet out then quickley goes to two inches. makes you do the moon walk back to safe ice when you punch through two inches.  Went to Round and it was about 4 inches slushie as all get out. There was about twenty guys out we caught 4 trout 2 bass a a bunch of perch.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Glaverbut.....  sorry about the slip.  I was talking about Lower Twin and the bluebacks.  Guess my fingers took off on me.  I hope to get out fishing someplace this week.   Lost my boatshed to the snowload Christmas morning.    Been busy shoveling snow......

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:51 PM »
What do you guys use for trout on round. or on coccolala, just perch stuff or do you acually target.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:19 AM »
If Im fishing for trout I usually use 4 tip ups and 1 rod.  Depending on what the flasher says I set the tip ups at 8 to 10 ft. with worms.   I normally put a glow hook with a maggot or a swedish pimple on the rod and fish the bottom for perch.   Lots of people just use poles and do fine, but I like it when those flags go off.  Turns me into a little kid again.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Well more snow on the way for this week, looks like it's going to be slush fishing instead of ice fishing.  Before c-mas I went to Springy Point on pend and didn't get a nibble. Had trouble finding deep enough water. Plenty of ice 5-6". For trout and panfish I use the same rig. Trout I think prefer worms than maggots or mealies. Blueduck, well have to hook up at coccolala or somewhere sometime. Sorry about your shed.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:43 PM »
Went to Preist Lake on sunday and there was hardly any ice. We need those cold days again.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  About 6 inches of good ice under 10 inches of rotten show and slush.  Broak through the slush every other step.   Fishing was slow.  Fished two hours and ended up with 3 trout and 3 perch.  Several other people  on the ice.  Looked like most people caught some fish, but overall pretty slow. 

Offline icehole2000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Fished spirit lake today, about 6'' of ice under 12'' of snow/slush. the further out the less good ice. 2 of us caught limits of bluebacks.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I was wondering about Spirit Lake.   I fished Round Lake yesterday.  Not real fast fishing but we ended up with 4 trout and 7 perch.   Ice conditions were about the same as at Spirit.  6" of ice under a foot of slush.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Fished Round Lake tuesday (yesterday).  Ice was better.  Not thicker but the slush on top was firm.  That won't matter now that its 39 degrees and raining.   Caught 5 trout and 30 nice perch.  With this melt down Im sure its over for a while. 

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:03 AM »
I wouldnt say its over.  I walked out on upper twin yesterday and there is plent of good ice.  There was one guy fishing and a kid. I stopped and talked to him and looked at the ice.  There is probably 6 in. of good clear ice and 8 of white ice. all the slush has froze up and it is good and firm.  Now I am courious what Cocalalla is like. I drive by it twice a day and have only seen a couple of people on it once.  And that was the day before new years.  Friday there where 2 people out by the long bridge.  There is still ice out there.  The guy fishing twin had a couple of small perch.  Wonder if Spirit is anything like Twin now.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:04 PM »
There have been peolpe on Cocalala this week when I drive by.  There where about ten on Sunday.  Also there where 2 guys on Granite and 2 on Kelso on Sunday.  I havent asked any of them how the ice was but they where fishing so it cant be too bad.   Also this morning there was a guy on the north west side of  the long bridge and also 2 people on the south east side of hte bridge.  Does anyone know how to get out on the SE side of the bridge?   I have thought for a few years now that that would be a good place to go.  They might be catching Waleye through the ice up there by now.  Or even pike if people would try for them. 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Turn at Bill Jones Dist and follow the road. Be there tomorrow. This afternoon going to Sunnyside for the first time. Laid off now for a couple weeks so it's fish all I can til it melts.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:08 PM »
I checked out Hauser today and there was two decent layers of ice with some frozen slush in between for about 10" total. I only went out 40yds off the dock, but i could see that people had been out further. probably going to hit Round this weekend and check out Hayden on the way. anybody else been out?

Offline Trout Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:49 PM »
New to the site, great info so far! I live in Liberty Lake, WA and am interested in finding info on panhandle lakes such as Hayden, Hauser, Fernan, etc (I am guessing that Lake CD'A is too big to freeze, other than maybe some of the smaller bays?). I buy licenses in WA and ID every year and the thought of pulling a pike thru the ice is compelling me to seek out info on the area.

Any body been on them, hear about them or even near them to see ppl fishing on them? I'm curious if the ice is still OK.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 17, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Hey Bearsfan have you pulled any Walleye out of PO or have you sen people doing so?   Also if your fishing those bays have you been putting out Tip ups for pike?  They are there.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:37 PM »
You know riske, i haven't heard of any body doing so, (getting walleyes) I just don't think you can get deep enough. I heard the best part on the lake is long bridge to dover. Maybe it'll freeze this week and we can try. I would love to try for pike up here instead of going to hayden or chain lakes which i haven't done yet. I'll give it a try and let ya know. Still not fishable at Priest Lake maybe soon.  Hey Cowboy, check out the chain lakes east of cd'a, rose is the best, talked to a couple of guys monday and they said tip ups and five inch frozen perch are the ticket. If you need somebody to go with I'll probably want to go.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:33 PM »
I'm planning on hitting Rose lake this weekend to set out some tipups. any word on what part of the lake has been productive? i know its not a big body of water, but a starting point would be nice! thanks!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:43 AM »
I tried the condos tuesday and the ice was a good solid 10",  but the fishing was really slow.   Round lake has good ice and the fishing is fair for trout and pretty good for perch.  Fished Cocalalla and caught a bunch of perch, but they were small.  Would love to give the pike a try.   

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Ice is good on much of the South end of Lake CDA.  Chatcolet Lake at Rocky Point has the normal 3-4" of good ice, 6-8" frozen snow, then 3-4" decent hard ice on top of the other two layers. The recent rise in the creeks leading into the lake muddied up the water, but water clarity is improving and with it pike fishing will be better. 

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Any of you been over to Bead in Washington to fish for burbot this year ?  I am wondering how the ice is ?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Fished Thompson Lake today.  Ice is good with lake level going down making getting on the ice at an angle a bit dicey.  Three flags one pike, few small perch. Verrrrrry slow. Water looking a bit murky.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:03 PM »
we are going to smith lake tomorrow, has any one been there this year? am a newbee here ..

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:23 PM »
We fished lower twin this morning and we only hooked one trout. it was pretty slow. hopefully we will get into the pike tomorrow.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:41 PM »
One guy out at Chatcolet, plenty of ice . Four guys out at Benewah Lake. Six guys out at Cave Lake yesterday afternoon.  Be careful getting on the ice on the southern end. The water has gone down, putting entry at a bit of an angle.  A board might be handy in a few starting points.

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:06 PM »
went out on round lake today, caught 5 perch and one rainbow trout. fishing was slow at about 2 but picked up about 3:30-4:00 p.m. the rainbow was a 16" monster. the biggest one out of that lake i have seen was a friend who caught a 19 1/2" rainbow. saw a lot of people fishing cocalala lake. the ice on round lake was about a foot thick.
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Has anybody tried sportsmans park in Hayden yet ? I fished lower twin on Monday the 19th and did well on trout at about 4:30 to dark. Tried it again Saturday morning and not a bite. I didn't see anybody catching either.
Where can a guy find big Crappie ?

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:31 PM »
carguy- I'll probably try hayden this weekend. set out tipups on Rose and Hauser this weekend with no luck. Have you tried Upper Twin for crappie? May not be the big crappie your after but we've done well during the summer along the bank opposite the boat ramp. may be worth a shot.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:41 PM »
we went to smith lake yesterday and caught 3 trout about 12 inches. it took 6 hrs to do it and a thermos of chocolate. we going to go perch fishing now at Kerr. does any body know about it? and if the fish are allright to eat out of there? i have seen them spraying all around it with something. not sure what it is. i sure do like to read the story's in this forum. can here about the defrent places. way cooool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.